How it ends

Sad, but impressive. Would love to meet that guy. I like his taste. If his family created a gofund me account I would contribute.

sad to see the end, but it gets us all.

buddy of mine in England always says there is entire cemetaries filled with indispensable people.

I feel the same way. Let me die on my motorcycle or something.

My wife and I were talking about this sort of stuff recently and I told her that I want to die before I become a burden to my family or society. I also told her that I wanted to die in my sleep but that I had recently changed my mind about that. When she asked me why, I said, "Because I don't want you waking up next to a corpse." I could tell by her reaction that finding a stiff next to her would really mess the gal up.

As for knives, I've already started scaling back for my old age collection of just a few pieces.

I understand completely. I was on life support 4 times in the fall. I truly wish my family had let me go. I repeatedly told them not to keep me on, to pull the plug if it happened. I was ready to go then, and am ready now. When you can barely get out of bed to make it 20 feet to the pisser, it's hard to find a reason to go on.

I'm down to 11 folders, an SAK, and one fixed. They are all nice, but going from a 4 bed house to a single bedroom doesn't give me much space for a bigger collection.

Make one of your last wishes to have the funeral pack as many knives from your collection with you into the casket and a laminated note that reads "Dear Future Archeologists, don't be alarmed, I just like knives, please turn the page for a complete inventory of what you find inside the casket with me, please don't ask for valuations unless any of you are gold members. And if you display me in a museum I want to be dressed in 1980's clothes with a ridiculous wig. Thanks."

In all seriousness:
I watched the vid, but failed to pick up on the back story.
From the looks of things, it strikes me more like a dealer auction than “just” a collector.

Regardless, thoughts of “what happens in 20 years” have been creeping into my head. Traditionally I’ve kinda romanticized about my knives and guns becoming cherished heirlooms of kids, grandkids, and so on.

It’s occurred to me that some projection might be in play, as I would love beyond description to have the knife or gun my grandad once carried. Ultimately, I have no idea if my progeny will even care. It’s one of the reasons my acquisition has slowed to nearly a standstill. I’m not using heirloom rationalization anymore.

I understand completely. I was on life support 4 times in the fall. I truly wish my family had let me go. I repeatedly told them not to keep me on, to pull the plug if it happened.

I have a living will, and it clearly states a DO NOT RESUSCITATE clause. I am of an age where I could go "boom" any
instant, so I have some idea of where you're coming from...

Those auction pieces are really impressive. Sell those suckers and PURCHASE the nursing home of your choice...

Last edited:
I understand completely. I was on life support 4 times in the fall. I truly wish my family had let me go. I repeatedly told them not to keep me on, to pull the plug if it happened. I was ready to go then, and am ready now. When you can barely get out of bed to make it 20 feet to the pisser, it's hard to find a reason to go on.

I'm down to 11 folders, an SAK, and one fixed. They are all nice, but going from a 4 bed house to a single bedroom doesn't give me much space for a bigger collection.
If I may ask, what exactly do you still have?

I have found that small, well thought out collections are more interesting than a huge collection, at least to me they are. This attitude of mine is all the fault of @GatorMedic. She had one of the nicest small collections I've ever seen. Because of her, I started looking at things a little differently.

I use my knives, or did. None of them are pristine safe queens. It usually takes me a while to buckle down and buy nowadays. These last few years, just to hard to get to the p.o. and mail stuff, especially once I stopped driving a year ago. Here are a few pics. Red Wenger nomad is MIA, blue Case KIA (friggin TSA), PM2 imploded, but I still have all the rest.

5HSLIje.jpg

qiA8wcp.jpg

cYMVvsM.jpg

Also have a black Spyderco Aqua Salt

With all the duplicates, I thought he was a dealer/collector. Simply amazing none the less!

I have been the caretaker/seller of two collections of firearms from older, gun nut friends of mine, who have passed. It's depressingly sad to sell what a friend took a lifetime to collect and most likely had sentimental attachments to some or all of them. Sadder still, are the vultures who line up to try to low ball the Widow days after the owner had passed. The deception and dishonesty displayed by some of them, makes a guy want to find a rope and a good limb. None of us getting out of this alive, May as well start passing them on, donationf or selling once one hit 70 or so.
I agree wholeheartedly. I had a friend that passed away last June and had a modest collection of mostly shooters; there were some nice older guns there. He had a lot of friends who called the wife saying they would buy one as a remembrance and offered next to nothing. When she said no, they never called or visited again.

I want to leave some of my older things to my son, but I feel he has no interest. Rather have the money. It is so hard knowing that you are the end of line as far as passing down these family heirlooms be it guns, knives, fine china or whatever.

yeah, I wonder how much more he could have got if he listed them here on bf... really big auctions like this I think would create some artificially low prices
They often do. But quick liquidation is the key. I might do something like this as opposed to the trash. It's all relative.

I agree wholeheartedly. I had a friend that passed away last June and had a modest collection of mostly shooters; there were some nice older guns there. He had a lot of friends who called the wife saying they would buy one as a remembrance and offered next to nothing. When she said no, they never called or visited again.
Good friends, huh. There are ways to liquidate a collection. You can do it the slow way or the fast way. You usually pay a price for "fast".

Good friends, huh. There are ways to liquidate a collection. You can do it the slow way or the fast way. You usually pay a price for "fast".
She ended up selling all of them to one person for one price. I don't know what the selling price was, but I agree that she lost out. However, she wanted them out of the house quick to reduce the possibility of them being stolen.

I want to leave some of my older things to my son, but I feel he has no interest. Rather have the money. It is so hard knowing that you are the end of line as far as passing down these family heirlooms be it guns, knives, fine china or whatever.
"friends"... that is a shame... &*%$ing scumbag leeches...

I helped a friend of my younger son secure and inventory the contents of her father's gunsafe. There were around 10 rifles, 4 shotguns, 20 pistols and several knives including a bag of 15 original signed Rhuanas. She had been visited by a couple of "dealers" she had contacted by phone and the offers they had made were literally pennies on the dollar of the real value. Last I heard she had given them to various family members who were outdoors oriented. She offered me some Rhuanas for my trouble but after I had her research them on ebay she changed her mind.

I use my knives, or did. None of them are pristine safe queens. It usually takes me a while to buckle down and buy nowadays. These last few years, just to hard to get to the p.o. and mail stuff, especially once I stopped driving a year ago. Here are a few pics. Red Wenger nomad is MIA, blue Case KIA (friggin TSA), PM2 imploded, but I still have all the rest.

5HSLIje.jpg

qiA8wcp.jpg

cYMVvsM.jpg

Also have a black Spyderco Aqua Salt
Looks like you have some nice stuff. You defently have an eye for decent, well made knives. I love the Case with blue scales.

I helped a friend of my younger son secure and inventory the contents of her father's gunsafe. There were around 10 rifles, 4 shotguns, 20 pistols and several knives including a bag of 15 original signed Rhuanas. She had been visited by a couple of "dealers" she had contacted by phone and the offers they had made were literally pennies on the dollar of the real value.
50% is common. I wouldn't call that pennies. Tis the way things work with dealers. Consignments work. Just depends on how quickly you want to liquidate a collection. On some things, I would be more than comfortable with 50% of market value.

Yeah, not gonna let that happen... I'll sell them first if I'm able. My backup plan is a flash drive with a spreadsheet listing all the details and prices for my knife collection, along with the URL for BF and instructions for my wife to get a gold membership and sell them here.

We can't predict the future in terms of our health and ability to sell on BF. My back up plan is to provide them to an auction (Bruce Voyles) and let the chips fall as they may. I personally don't want to go to the effort of selling a lot of my knives. You see posts here off and on concerning establishing value. Most are fruitless attempts unless it's something special on older knives. The bottom line is that these accumulated knives are worth more to us than to most people.

Another approach is to get a table at a knife show and sell what you can there. There is a moderate sized knife show coming up organized in Dalton GA this coming weekend by Bruce Voyles. Better to do it at a knife show rather than a gun show as the people there will be looking for knives.

Back