How long in the knife game?

Otto Carpenter

Gold Member
People's interests don't always last. I got here one short year ago, and in that time I've bought and sold a few "expensive" knives (although that's relative) and owned about ten knives. I've since sold off all but three.

I remember seeing a member on the Exchange selling a batch of knives, and he called it, "A Moment of Clarity Sale." I laughed at that because it also occurred to me that I had some real money tied up in knives that I wasn't using. I realize it's a hobby, and hobbies don't have to make "sense."

Undeniably, there's something compelling about a well-designed knife, and new people come into the hobby all the time, but I believe people leave the hobby just as regularly, as practicality and money play a role in continuation.

I still admire them - just unsure whether I'm going to buy any more of them.

I can remember when I was about 10 years old, and with my parents at a Western Auto store, lusting after a couple of knives in the display case. My parents always said NO, but I kept hounding them. I have kept up the obsession now for over 53+ years. The knives do come and go, as there is always another one that is just the perfect one! There are many way worse passions to be afflicted with.

It took me a while to find what worked best for me but I'm pretty happy with what I have.. ya know what they say... if you're not satisfied with what you got you'll probably never find satisfaction no matter how much you get

My mom would eventually confiscate (poof) any knife I obtained until I was 18... I found Bladeforums shortly before turning 19. Now I'm 35 and I've been making them for years.

Like any good addiction, it can be progressive.

Buying --> Dealing --> Manufacturing for sale

Ha! :D

I've been buying, selling, trading, and collecting since 1981. Bought a Gerber Command One at the Navy base exchange in San Diego, and it just kept going. Don't see it stopping anytime soon...

Knives, guns and photography all involve expensive purchases and all seem to have stuck with me over the years.

I tend to drift in and out, spending a lot of time and money buying knives some years, but then other years not buying any at all and just happily using the ones I already own.

....I still admire them - just unsure whether I'm going to buy any more of them.

I can understand where you are coming from. I own more than enough knives. I don't need any more.
Do I want more? Sure. But, I can't really justify the purchase of very many more, if any.

It is common for me to find something new that I want but, I ask myself if it is needed or if it will do the job better than what I already own. If both answers are no, then I don't buy it. If one answer is yes, I balance the cost against what I have in my collection. Most of the time I do not make the purchase.

I really do admire a small, well thought out collection of knives. Maybe six to ten knives, tops. This is something that I doubt would have happened if I had not joined BF.com.

Tell me, what knives did you keep and why?

Since I was 3 and found a red vic classic on the ground at the great America amusement park.
My mom took it to put away " until you're old enough " ( still hasn't given it back to me ), I figured that if my mom wouldn't let me have a knife they must be awesome and was interested in them ever since.

My knives are all affordable high value users, I love knives for their usefulness and am not interested in expensive knives that don't actually have more usefulness.
I can't exactly relate to having lots of money tied up in the form of expensive knives, but we often here about people who feel liberated after switching to more affordable stuff and no longer have to worry about selling stuff to fund new purchases.

Last edited:
Interest in sharp pointy things was always there and I do not foresee it ever going away :thumbsup:

Well I'm quite proud to say I've never done drugs or been an alcoholic. But I probably have a ton of knives and guns lol. It all started when I received my first boy scout knife at age 10. I was training in Karate at that time. My father bought me an unsharpened Katana as well. It was probably made in Pakistan but I still have it. I'm 34 now and I do think I should slow down on the knife purchasing. Its just fun stuff, I also build wooden model ships when not obsessing over knives.

I was actively trading knives in class during elementary school, in New York City. One of my teachers at the time called me on it and suggested that i had the makings of an excellent busines man. I was insulted, I was convinced that I was bound to be a scientist. Well, he was right, I ended up with a business career.... I guess I have been interested in knives for a long time.

n2s

Last edited:
My father gave me my first knife in '72 when I was seven. I collected a lot of knives for many years until I got into the modern folders. Sold off or gifted my collectibles and now have only users. About ten folders and four fixed.

Buy. Hold. Use. Never sell.

45+ years!

Haven't bought anything new in about 10 years, just received several new/used knives as gifts.

Don't forecast a change in the pattern.

I've been interested in and collecting knives for 44 years. I've given away a few dozen but I can't remember ever selling one.

Knives and guns..grew up with them.
My dad was an NRA instructor so naturally I statrted shooting at a young age and learning and respecting gun safety.
Knives were no different and have always EDC'd something from as long as I can remember..especially in the Boy Scouts on camping trips.

I always love this topic. I'm 34 and have had an interest in sharp things almost as far back as I can remember. I remember "sharpening" points onto sticks on the concrete sidewalk to make "swords." Then I joined the Cub Scouts. I remember getting that first traditional folder with the Scout emblem on it and thinking I was ready to conquer the world. Like I had been given the key to manhood. Oh, to be young and dumb. I definitely learned the importance of safety and an early on EDC philosophy, "Be Prepared." All growing up I seemed to find myself with some sort of folder in my pocket. I ran through some Gerbers I'll never remember and a couple Kershaw Leeks here and there. It wasn't till I joined the military that I really felt the need for a solid well made knife...

It was a Spyderco Endura that converted me to the beauty of a higher quality folder. I got my first like 2009, I want to say. I've been hooked ever since. This forum has been a great help and resource on helping to ensure good purchases. This hobby has been my most long standing and it ebbs and flows but I am pretty passionate about it. And it's cool to see that in others. I think one day I would like to get into making my own, but I still feel like I am still learning so we shall see when/if that happens.

My introduction to the cutlery world was a school trip to The Alamo in my Elementary school days, somewhere between 7 and 10 years old. I bought a cheap chinese made SAK knockoff with wood scales and an image of The Alamo woodburned in. One of the teachers confiscated the little thing and my mother had to make an unexpected trip to school that day in order to pick up her recalcitrant child and his new knife.

That was the starting point.Over the years I got into buying, selling, and trading cutlery through this forum and other outlets, and have made some great friends through the hobby.

I can understand where you are coming from. I own more than enough knives. I don't need any more.
Tell me, what knives did you keep and why?
Sabre cat, I kept three Spyderco's - a Delica (ZDP-189), a PM-2 in M4 and a Slyz Bowie. Sold some Shiros, an Olamic, TAD Dauntless, a mini-Bodega and a few others. The ones I sold are missed, but not so much that I'd fork over the cash for them again. Money plays a big role in all hobbies.

Back