• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How long would you wait before disputing through PayPal?

traumkommode

Gold Member
Interesting times we find ourselves in, so I'm seeking advice. I bought a couple of knives from a guy on March 1. He said he was selling due to financial issues. Didn't ship all week, but kept offering me other knives he had posted for sale. Couple weeks later, said he couldn't ship yet because of COVID, but that he would stay in touch. I have since moved and updated my address to him, to which he replied he would ship soon. And have done a ton of other transactions despite COVID... I sent him a message again this week to which he has not yet responded, but he shows having been online. I'm kinda at the point where, because of lack of communication on the seller's behalf, I feel compelled to try for a refund through PayPal. The post office isn't closed, and this just seems like bad business to me. But then again, I might be off base, so I wanted to check in with the rest of the forum.

And have done a ton of other transactions despite COVID...

Mostly curious but was this referring to him or you?

Regardless, 2 1/2 months without shipping and coming online without responding to your message are not acceptable. There is (unless it's changed) 180 day window to file a dispute yet I would not blame you if you did it now or very soon.

If you paid by PayPal G&S, seller can print shipping label with paid postage through PayPal and just drop it off at PO without waiting in line. It takes literally ONE minute even at a busy PO in Chicago. Right now, I don't want to be in the PO one more minute than I have to, but I still ship and have received as well.

Mostly curious but was this referring to him or you?

Regardless, 2 1/2 months without shipping and coming online without responding to your message are not acceptable. There is (unless it's changed) 180 day window to file a dispute yet I would not blame you if you did it now or very soon.

Referring to me.

If you paid by PayPal G&S, seller can print shipping label with paid postage through PayPal and just drop it off at PO without waiting in line. It takes literally ONE minute even at a busy PO in Chicago. Right now, I don't want to be in the PO one more minute than I have to, but I still ship and have received as well.

I paid G&S and went ahead and submitted the issue through PayPal. I was feeling like it's time to take action, just wanted to make sure it didn't sound unreasonable.

Not unreasonable in the LEAST! The tip off for me was the "Didn't ship all week, but kept offering me other knives he had posted for sale", then playing the COVID angle and last but not least being on the forums but not replying to you.

And let me guess, you were the one that had to initially reach out to find out that your knife was not shipped. Seller was never proactive about keeping you informed.

Not unreasonable in the LEAST! The tip off for me was the "Didn't ship all week, but kept offering me other knives he had posted for sale", then playing the COVID angle and last but not least being on the forums but not replying to you.

And let me guess, you were the one that had to initially reach out to find out that your knife was not shipped. Seller was never proactive about keeping you informed.

You guessed correctly.

Correct me if I am wrong since I have not ever done it this way, But I think they can also pay on the USPS site(maybe PP also) and place it in their mailbox.

With all the delays, and lack of communication, I would just make the claim. Worst case scenario the deal is void -you get your money and he keeps his knife or knives. It also may get some action from him if he truly wants to make the deal. In any case you should be covered.
If they are worried about shipping due to the virus, they shouldn't be selling now

You can use the USPS site but if you use PayPal, the shipper can get a small discount on the rates.

Not unreasonable at all to me. Dude is dicking you around.

At this point, I’d contact the seller and tell him exactly this “I have been patient, but a reasonable time window has elapsed. Ship the knife now and provide me with a tracking number, or I am filing a PayPal dispute to get my money back.”

If they didn’t respond I’d go through the steps of getting my money back. If they jerked me around any further it would be the same deal. The only thing that would hold me back is a tracking number that checks out.

Update - didn't respond to me but was online on BF. I submit the dispute through PayPal and within 20 minutes, he responds both through PayPal and on here, ANGRILY, that he hasn't been on BF because he's dealing with funeral arrangements, and will take off work Monday to ship the knives because he has to drive to another town to do it and how all the other people he has sold and not shipped to are okay and I'm the only one and yadda yadda...

Honestly, if that were true, I'd sympathize. But I just don't feel like it's the truth.

Update - didn't respond to me but was online on BF. I submit the dispute through PayPal and within 20 minutes, he responds both through PayPal and on here, ANGRILY, that he hasn't been on BF because he's dealing with funeral arrangements, and will take off work Monday to ship the knives because he has to drive to another town to do it and how all the other people he has sold and not shipped to are okay and I'm the only one and yadda yadda...

Honestly, if that were true, I'd sympathize. But I just don't feel like it's the truth.

FULL OF SH*T. Eff the knife, eff him eff his anger, GET YOUR MONEY. And if you do opt for the knife, good luck to you if you don't get a knife in the condition as described. You want to risk that?

Now he responds?? This is a CLASSIC case of BS. You don't have to take my word for it. This scenario has played out over and over again on GBU if you go back and read through some of the postings.

Starting to get funny...

(date and time for reference)
49899919606_2dfdd14ae3_k.jpg

(not engaged in conversation with me)
49899919511_fdbca2402d_k.jpg

(asks me to close the dispute so he can "pay bills that need to be paid tonight")
49899931496_8dcd3b4f6c_h.jpg

I agree-sounds like the classic BS these guys spout -after all it has been 2&1/2 months to get this taken care of. I'd continue the claim.

Now threatening me through PM that he's going to have his lawyers after me to pay the late fees on the bills he can't pay through his PayPal account that he has to pay tonight.

I'd avoid dealing with this guy.

another tip-they always have lawyers that are going to come after you
I am sure lawyers are just fighting to represent someone who can't pay their bills :)

Back