• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How long would you wait before disputing through PayPal?

I can't really say I'm surprised that he refused the package. Considering the way this has blown up, I'd have denied the package also, and when you got your knife back I'd be demanding the money. Paypal would side with me, and that would be that. All I'd need to do is contact Paypal directly and give them all communication where you've completely lost it, and they'd refund me pretty quickly. If you didn't have the money, your account would be frozen. Oh, and good luck just starting up a new one (they've got tools that track that stuff, it's a lot more involved than "I'd just use a new email address!"), and given that Paypal is still the absolute top dog fastest way to pay for stuff online, your level of inconvenience would go up pretty much immediately. And all because you didn't just send the guy his knives when paid for them however many weeks ago.

I can't really say I'm surprised that he refused the package. Considering the way this has blown up, I'd have denied the package also, and when you got your knife back I'd be demanding the money. Paypal would side with me, and that would be that. All I'd need to do is contact Paypal directly and give them all communication where you've completely lost it, and they'd refund me pretty quickly. If you didn't have the money, your account would be frozen. Oh, and good luck just starting up a new one (they've got tools that track that stuff, it's a lot more involved than "I'd just use a new email address!"), and given that Paypal is still the absolute top dog fastest way to pay for stuff online, your level of inconvenience would go up pretty much immediately. And all because you didn't just send the guy his knives when paid for them however many weeks ago.

I can fault the seller on a number of things that would prevent me from ever dealing with him. That said, if the OP agreed to accept (waiting to hear if he did & explanation)the knives and drop his original PP claim, he should have followed through with it. The seller doesn't seem to be going through the best of times and shouldn't be just screwed with. Held accountable, yes. Screwed with, No.
Hopefully the OP's explanation will give some clarity to the refusal to accept.
I personally would not have dropped the initial claim for a refund

Last edited:
I can fault the seller on a number of things that would prevent me from ever dealing with him. That said, if the OP agreed to accept (waiting to hear if he did & explanation)the knives and drop his original PP claim, he should have followed through with it. The seller doesn't seem to be going through the best of times and shouldn't be just screwed with. Held accountable, yes. Screwed with, No.
Hopefully the OP's explanation will give some clarity to the refusal to accept.
I personally would not have dropped the initial claim for a refund

Hey, in a normal circumstance, I'm right there with you. However, in a transaction where the seller has become hostile, my trust in him doing the right thing would go out the window immediately. I don't know at which point the OP agreed to accept the knife/knives, but clearly, the seller's posts here have been anything but friendly. It would be the first thing in my mind that he'd purposely damage the knife so he could claim that the buyer did it in order to scam him. "How DARE he sicc Paypal on me? Well, we'll see who gets the last laugh!"

We've seen this sort of thing here before. In any case, I'd never do business with this seller, and candidly I'm sorry, but I just find it very hard to take seriously super sob stories that spring up (snaps fingers) RIIIIGHHHT around the time the guy should be sending me my knife or money. It's such a played out attempt at circumventing any criticism or negative responses by trying to play on the wronged party's human side. Scammers know this, which is why they use it. That's another thing we've seen played out here many many times before.

Oddly, a death, a computer breaking, "personal issues", etc. never crop up until AFTER the money's sent.

Hey, in a normal circumstance, I'm right there with you. However, in a transaction where the seller has become hostile, my trust in him doing the right thing would go out the window immediately. I don't know at which point the OP agreed to accept the knife/knives, but clearly, the seller's posts here have been anything but friendly. It would be the first thing in my mind that he'd purposely damage the knife so he could claim that the buyer did it in order to scam him. "How DARE he sicc Paypal on me? Well, we'll see who gets the last laugh!"

We've seen this sort of thing here before. In any case, I'd never do business with this seller, and candidly I'm sorry, but I just find it very hard to take seriously super sob stories that spring up (snaps fingers) RIIIIGHHHT around the time the guy should be sending me my knife or money. It's such a played out attempt at circumventing any criticism or negative responses by trying to play on the wronged party's human side. Scammers know this, which is why they use it. That's another thing we've seen played out here many many times before.

Oddly, a death, a computer breaking, "personal issues", etc. never crop up until AFTER the money's sent.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell for sure-scammer or not. Scammers all have stories and sometimes make good on their deals.
This case sure did follow the handbook
but scammer or not is only a title-I wouldn't deal with him

It did look like the OP agreed to taking the knives in post 74 screenshots, but he never confirmed here

Anyway just to recap from the original post. The second the seller offer to ship "other" knives instead of what had been paid for the button would have been pressed and the dispute started. Classic bait and switch scam.

If there is any doubt there is no doubt.

Dude...I don't live in a populated area bud. I live in a town of 200 with one postal worker who is a volunteer. People need to understand that not everyone lives in big cities in California.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell for sure-scammer or not. Scammers all have stories and sometimes make good on their deals.
This case sure did follow the handbook
but scammer or not is only a title-I wouldn't deal with him

It did look like the OP agreed to taking the knives in post 74 screenshots, but he never confirmed here
I did not damage the knives. The buyer has received them as indicated via UPS. He is free to post photos of them here for confirmation of receiving them in perfect condition. Nobody was being scammed or anything of the sort. I was simply put in a situation where I live that everything got shut down. Not my fault. It was communicated with the seller and he agreed and was fine with it. There was absolutely no communication from him whatsoever before his claim was submitted through PayPal.

He agreed to accept the knives and he has. He has not communicated with me since and since PayPal refunded him hopefully he will make good on his end. If not I guess he gets the knives and the money and I got screwed.

People need to quit talking crap without knowing a damn thing about both sides. End of story.

Also, I have communication from him where he said he would accept the knives as has been posted in this thread.

So what is this about if he has the knives
I got multiple emails from UPS one where it said he picked them up from the Hub, one where it said they were returned and then the newest one where it says they were delivered to his house.

I am just as confused as anyone on this UPS thing now.

Anyway just to recap from the original post. The second the seller offer to ship "other" knives instead of what had been paid for the button would have been pressed and the dispute started. Classic bait and switch scam.

If there is any doubt there is no doubt.
I never offered to ship any "other" knives than what he purchased. That was never said nor brought up.

I did not damage the knives. The buyer has received them as indicated via UPS. He is free to post photos of them here for confirmation of receiving them in perfect condition. Nobody was being scammed or anything of the sort. I was simply put in a situation where I live that everything got shut down. Not my fault. It was communicated with the seller and he agreed and was fine with it. There was absolutely no communication from him whatsoever before his claim was submitted through PayPal.

He agreed to accept the knives and he has. He has not communicated with me since and since PayPal refunded him hopefully he will make good on his end. If not I guess he gets the knives and the money and I got screwed.

People need to quit talking crap without knowing a damn thing about both sides. End of story.

I have not said you were a scammer, only that it followed the handbook-be it intentional or not. Everything could be just as you say, or nothing could be as you say. I have other problems with things you have said, so I don't need to sort it out. I would not deal with you, and you may or may not feel the same. Others can make their own decisions.
nor did I say anything about damaged knives

Last edited:
I have not said you were a scammer, only that it followed the handbook-be it intentional or not. Everything could be just as you say, or nothing could be as you say. I have other problems with things you have said, so I don't need to sort it out.
nor did I say anything about damaged knives
I'm not saying you did I was responding to your response as an addition to what the person you quoted said. You've been just fine during this whole thing. No issues there.

Back