how many buy other knifes while waiting

I'm really not good at waiting. I keep finding myself looking at other knifes, none that I need or like as well as the one I have ordered from survive. Still I keep looking...must resist, must resist.

In between ordering more Survive knives I do buy others.
I probably won't need to at some point in the future when my Survive knives start dropping into my hands at regular intervals.
For now I'm spending twice, once for enjoying now, and twice for enjoying later.

Since Survive! Doesnt make a folder (yet) I do buy other folders while waiting for S!K to pump out my preorder! I have no guilt.

I got a gun but after buying a Survive knife Its hard for me to get excited about most the other knives.
That 77 looks awesome. Im holding out for that one until the big boys are done.

Personally I've only gotten 1 knife from another maker in placed my preorders in 2015 and that knife is so wildly outside of Guy's design philosophy I felt justified in getting as I wasn't being overly redundant. Really I haven't found other knives that I like over what I have on order to pull the trigger.

I've used the wait time to use my resources for non-knife gear. I've gotten a couple nice packs and upgraded my hiking footwear. I've also spent a little to pimp out my GSO's which I'm pretty excited about.

I've seen more than a few guys cope with the wait on orders by purchasing on Mondays or the secondary market.

Sadly, the wait is too much for some and they stray in the mean time.

The only knives I have purchased since placing the preorders are a couple of S!s, I bought a factory 2nd GSO 5 and a CruForgeV 4.7 that I am still awaiting. I also purchased 2 folders from a KSF clearance recently, a TSF Gorgon and a Lion Steel SR2 titanium to go with my SR1 titanium. I have not purchased a folder in years. I like to edc fixed blades, and I have done so for about 3 or 4 years. The most meager fixed blade will out perform the strongest folder with twice the blade thickness when it comes to hard use. What I like about the Lion Steel folders is that the locking bar does have a locking mechanism. I would have no problem thumping on my SR1 or my SR2. They are not as strong as a fixed blade, but one thing is for sure. If it fails, it will destroy the locking mechanism/frame.

I made so many hasty purchases of brands such as BRKT, DPx, ESEE, Fallkniven, LionSteel, LTWK & TOPS and none hit the fixed-blade spot for me till I stumbled into this joint. Lately I've gotten into another brand (which shall stay nameless as it will be in poor form to keep mentioning them since I have now cancelled my preorders) so my money will be spent on Survive! and the Other. I'm not promising that I'll keep every one which I buy because I don't end up loving every knife even if they come from these two makers, but it pivots on how they feel in person and in my hands. One other brand which I also aspire to own at some point is the FiddleBack Forge but their custom and not their production. However, I'm not quite there to be able to accept that kind of dent to my wallet WRT FBF!

Let's see....

Um, I bought into Busse's O2W for a Ratweiler and Chophouse, but sold the former...
I picked up a Bear&Sons Farmhand (sodbuster) at a local shop...
I picked up a Spyderco Delica and Tasman Salt but have listed the former for sale...
I bought a custom from Jac Wild not long ago and also two from Anza just recently (not yet in hand)...
A Kabar mini-Dozier and 2x Cold steel mini Tuff-lite, but two of those have since been sold to colleagues...
I picked up a BK-16 and Tops BOB but only to compare against S!K blades, those two or at least the latter will be up for sale after my 4.1 comes in...

I'm trying not to buy more, honestly, but deals come around... I did just sell my Swamp Rat HRLM and a Vic Farmer with pocket-clip (though now I need to buy more alox SAKs to add pocket-clips to, as folk are requesting them from me)... and there are many more I've successfully resisted, so there! :D I haven't sprung for a CPK (though the EDC looks mighty tempting)...

I'm trying to remember what I've picked up while waiting on preorders, but yes I tend to stray some. It's no secret I like knives from lots of manufacturers. Some stay, some go on. Since placing preorders, from the top of my head I've picked up:

FF production camp (got a beautiful sheath from HaleStorm for this one I've got to get posted!)
FF production duke
Busse NMFSH
SRKW Ratweiler thick
SRKW Ratweiler thin
SRKW Rat Mastiff
SRKW Chopweiler
S!K GSO 10
S!K GSO 2.7
S!K GSO 5.1 x 3
CPK Field Knife
GL Drew Custom
BHK Frontier First

When I'm in the woods I do great, when I'm in front of the computer I'm weak :) Oh well, most of them are like money in the bank :thumbup:

Chiral, what about that White River Necker you bought from me? :D

HA! Another! Thank you :)

And I had also bought another Anza off someone on the exchange... oh, and a cheapy purple kitchen-knife for my now 5-yr-old... Sheesh, I hope that does it... but there were probably more :p

You get a pass on a folder or something significantly different than what you have ordered. I'm talking about buying something thats basically a replacement for what you have ordered. For me I've found that fixed blades in the 4-5 inch range is what I like the best and get used the most. I have a 4.7cf ordered, and I think that will be the perfect knife for me. Yet I still keep looking around the interweb every night for something that might be close.

I'm trying to remember what I've picked up while waiting on preorders, but yes I tend to stray some. It's no secret I like knives from lots of manufacturers. Some stay, some go on. Since placing preorders, from the top of my head I've picked up:

FF production camp (got a beautiful sheath from HaleStorm for this one I've got to get posted!)
FF production duke
Busse NMFSH
SRKW Ratweiler thick
SRKW Ratweiler thin
SRKW Rat Mastiff
SRKW Chopweiler
S!K GSO 10
S!K GSO 2.7
S!K GSO 5.1 x 3
CPK Field Knife
GL Drew Custom
BHK Frontier First

When I'm in the woods I do great, when I'm in front of the computer I'm weak :) Oh well, most of them are like money in the bank :thumbup:

Wow Hk, niiiiice one, it is going to be christmas everyday for the rest of the year for you.
Will that be your first FF duke? I liked the look of them but couldnt find much info or reviews on them so i forgot about them

Awesome, thanks revolver, i may have to try one out in the near future

Wow Hk, niiiiice one, it is going to be christmas everyday for the rest of the year for you.
Will that be your first FF duke? I liked the look of them but couldnt find much info or reviews on them so i forgot about them

I will probably need to sell a few so we can have a Christmas! :D

Yes that's my first Duke. It didn't grow on me like the Camp Knife did, I'll probably move it. Certainly nothing wrong with the knife, and I'm still glad I bought it if even just to satisfy my curiosity.

how many buy other knifes while waiting

I have, for sure. Since joining bladeforum at the beginning of the year, I have really gotten bitten by the knife bug. I have traded my way into a Necker and a 4.1. Also, I am really interested in anything with a modified wharncliffe/sheepsfood blade, fixed or flipper. I picked up a Daniel Fairly Knives all titanium (carbide edge) friction folder, and a Hall Handmade kiridashi that has a really cool reverse grind on the straight edge. Both are amazing little blades and I got to work the makers which has developed into a friendship. Both were kind enough to engrave my supporter number on the knife somewhere.

I have my eye on other blades, one from a guy in Croatia, and from DFK and HH. I am desperately trying not to hit the family budget, but keep my knife handle/knife collecting hobby self sufficient. I will be doing a collaboration with a smaller maker, for example, and one of those knives will be mine. If a knife makes a connection with me to the maker, I definitely pursue it.

Last edited:
I am mainly drawn to bushcraft type knives and have been buying more knives related to bushcraft rather than for survival. Other than a Swamp Rat infidu, and Esee (Esee 3 and 4) for a survival type knife, the only brand that I have placed the most dough in would be S!K. So while waiting for all my S!K orders to be fulfilled I bought more bushcraft knives (scandi grinds mainly) and I don't feel that they have rendered my S!K redundant, nor are they a waste of money since they are built for a different purpose as compared to what S!K has to offer. The other brand’s includes a few LT Wright (one of my favourites), 3 x Mora, a Helle Temagami, 4 x Opinel, and 3x Victorinox. My latest craze has been for Adventure Sworn and I placed a custom order for a Mountaineer but that too requires me to wait.

haha Definitely me. I start noticing anything steel or titanium with a wood handle out of the corner of my eye! I've even tried making my own, but eventually the knife comes and all is well in the world again...until I get my next extra paycheck.

Back