how many buy other knifes while waiting

Nice comparison, thanks.
Assuming that the ESEE is sharp the only thing hindering the performance that I can think of is the rough texture coating.
The MUCK really is a jack of all trades design, I don't think that it is optimized for any one task.
I do agree that the MUCK has a nice handle, especially if you want to use a two finger chopping grip.

The ESEE is razor sharp but I really don't like the way it cuts. It's hard to describe but I have a bunch of knives with a coating that don't have any "drag". I'll give it another try next week.

I agree about your MUCK assessment and it's a good knife but as I stated above I am going to sell it.

The ESEE 6 has a very thick edge in order to keep them tough. I convexed the edge on mine and reduced the thickness of the edge shoulder. Vast improvement in the feel of a cut.

That makes sense, just like on my Busses. I had have them reprofiled to get the to cut.

I have been working on my folder collection, while waiting on my two 2.7 and a big 12 Survive! They have mainly been Benchmade knives that are being discontinued and discounted right now. I now have a few Spyderco, Zero Tolerance and Benchmade. Great for playing with while watching football.

Spyderco Militarys have been taking all my pocket time. I have been very tempted to buy a few different variants on the exchange but after getting the 204p Dark green exclusive and experiencing the smoothness of the action with the new pivot and the new stepped stop pin I cant bring myself to buy a BNIB that has the old pivot and screwed pin.

The new catalog shows that all Millies from 2017 on have the new pivot and pin, standoffs and lanyard hole as well as bigger hardwear. Holy crap they are bringing back the lefty!!!!!!!! Stoked, I am!!

The thing that impresses me about that knife is the fact that its a ton of knife in a relatively light weight package. It also carries smaller than it actually is. Even more than that is the fact that other than upgrading the blade steel, the pin, the pivot, the backspacers hardware and the lanyard hole, the actual profile of the knife is exactly the same as it was designed in 1996 when it was released. Not many design profiles can say they went 20 years with no need to tweak the shape or size! There is literally no reason change it. Its simple perfection.

I frequently wear gloves at work and the knife is a dream to operate with gloves. The other night I needed to quickly remove half a dozen chem-lights from there heavy duty wrappers. I was gloved and fully kitted out. Without even thinking about it, I drew the knife, opened it, cut packaging, closed and repocketed it, stuffed the lights in my cargo pocket, shut my trunk and ran. While riding to my destination a couple of my compadres were fiddling around in the dark trying to open those damn things with their fingers. I watched one dude remove a glove, the use his 25 dollar harware store special to practically pry open the wrappers then struggle to repocket his knife. It was then that I realized something I already knew but never could fully show an example of. The Spydero Military so exquisetly designed for exactly what I did. That knife is literally like an extension of my will.

So yeah... got a little off topic, but I will buy other knives as long as they are the Soycerco Military!!

Last edited:
Gotta Love the Spyderco Military. It feels so good in the hand and it is big. I love the big folders. I always buy the basic run of the mill versions for economic reasons. But, I am always so intrigued by the sprint runs. My favorite Spyderco is the ol' Paramilitary 2. I also love my Benchmade Knifeworks exclusive Contego 810-1410 M390 which feels almost as good as the Military. Best of all they all fit in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Really enjoying the CPK field knife so far :)

32221346226_9e22ff4b41_b.jpg

Yes, those are Dark Timber Honey Badgers in CPM3V Steel. They are super comfortable and very light. There are some impressive reviews of these on YouTube. The smaller Dark Timbers 1911 has a little more of a re-curve blade.

There is also the Bark River/ Dark Timber Grizzly which is a collaboration blade. It is a Peter Kohler’s (Dark Timber) design from his custom Grizzly. It is a beast of a knife in CPM3V. It is a 9.25” blade with a whopping thickness of .272". Just had one up for sale. Here is a pic of that blade. You will notice one side has the Bark River logo, the other side Dark Timbers.

bNh9OP9.jpg

QZ511Pp.jpg

Last edited:
Those are really nice, Shark01. If you were to use one of those Honey Badgers for food prep, on a cutting board, would the blade rest flat on the cutting surface, or does the back of the choil hold it up a little bit?

If the back of the choil rests on the cutting board the blade is slightly elevated from the surface of the cutting board. That's not an issue for me as I generally cut with the choil somewhat elevated.

Last edited:
Thanks! I can't decide if I want to cancel my GSO 8 and try to get a Honey Badger or wait it out, or get both.

Picked this one up recently, a Blackfeather bush tool.
Old school bushcraft style in 01 steel [cough, spoiled on 3v] but it does sharpen easy and takes a nice edge.
Joe runs a 1 man shop out of Virginia and makes some nice blades if you haven't seen his work before.
PICT1342_zpsoayxazny.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I wanted a 5" knife... the 2.7 is OAL: 6.75".

My choices:

- Gravelle Neck Knife (GNK).. OAL: 5.25"

- Bark River Knives, Bravo-Micro.. OAL 4.9"

Back