How many knives does the average BF member own?

Looking for the average number of knives we own

• Less than 7

Votes: 25 6.7%
  • 7-10 (different 1 each day!)

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • 10-14 (I can carry a different blade each day for 2 weeks!)

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • 14-20 (I think I may have a problem...in a good way)

Votes: 45 12.0%
  • 20-30 ( I have too much disposable income...)

Votes: 48 12.8%
  • 30+ (I have serious issues and am not ashamed)

Votes: 77 20.5%
  • 50-100

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • 100-200

Votes: 40 10.7%
  • 200-300

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • 300+

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
In general, there are two answers. Either too many or not enough. For real, it does sound most have at least 30+ knives in their collection.

Over 1000 easy. Thats what gun safes are for.

Oh average, you mean they havent been down woth the sickness. 50

...How many blades does the average forum member have? How many of those actually see use?
I think the majority of the active members own more than 30 knives or blades (not counting kitchen knives). I also suspect that most only use maybe 5 to 10 of them on a regular basis but have used the majority of them at one time. I prefer to not really ponder this question. I don't count them and never have.

Last edited:
Currently 124. About 2 years ago I sold 30 during a moving sale (mostly tactical folders), then during the last year I gave away 11 to two of my grandsons and my son. So, now I'm down to 124 counting the Case Trapper and Medium Stockman I added 2 months ago.

I only started into real knives a few months ago, so I’m still down in the 7-10 range. Though I don’t intend for it to do so, I suspect time will fix that problem. The bigger problem is that BF is raising the level of my taste in knives with frightening speed. I started at the ZT/Spyderco/BM level, I already have one Reate and I’m constantly looking at Shiros with lust in my heart. I’ll be attending the NYCKS in November and I think there’s a 50/50 chance I’ll make a 2019 vacation out of either the Shot Show or the Atlanta Blade Show. How’s that for a recipe for a depleted checking account?

I only started into real knives a few months ago, so I’m still down in the 7-10 range. Though I don’t intend for it to do so, I suspect time will fix that problem. The bigger problem is that BF is raising the level of my taste in knives with frightening speed. I started at the ZT/Spyderco/BM level, I already have one Reate and I’m constantly looking at Shiros with lust in my heart. I’ll be attending the NYCKS in November and I think there’s a 50/50 chance I’ll make a 2019 vacation out of either the Shot Show or the Atlanta Blade Show. How’s that for a recipe for a depleted checking account?
You started at a pretty practical quality level if you know what you're doing. It took me years to get to the point you are at. The whole thing slows down, restarts, slows down to repeat over and over again. If you don't sell your unused knives, they pile up which is primarily why I have 50+ knives. I don't really know numbers, but I have a tupper ware tub that has a lot of knives in it that I haven't looked at in a long time. Most aren't exactly cheap, but most aren't expensive either.

Around 30, and out of disposable income.:(
I’m supposed to have a check in the mail for a side job.
If that check ever gets here, I’ll have around 31 knives and be out of disposable income again.

Last edited:
You started at a pretty practical quality level if you know what you're doing. It took me years to get to the point you are at. The whole thing slows down, restarts, slows down to repeat over and over again. If you don't sell your unused knives, they pile up which is primarily why I have 50+ knives. I don't really know numbers, but I have a tupper ware tub that has a lot of knives in it that I haven't looked at in a long time. Most aren't exactly cheap, but most aren't expensive either.
I don't use knives at work so everything I buy is EDC for the sake of EDC, which means they’re all just self-indulgence. As a former shotgun sports competitor, I watched my taste in guns go from cheapskate to strictly fine shotguns over a period of many years. I won't do the same thing with knives. This time it’s straight to the high end stuff with no more diddling around. Life is too short and I’m already too old.

my normal rotation includes (not edc/ weekly) a couple dozen but over the years I've picked up about 100 in the $20 to $100 range. Most b4 BF discovery. Last few have been "better"

Last edited:
My version of average would be someone still alive and has a knife. My smaller edc knives number a little over thirty. This doesn't count a couple three swords, seven or eight of the belt size knives comparable to the military kbar model, or the about forty bayonets I used to collect but now sit in a steel 40mm ammo can to preserve. There's probably a couple more laying around I've forgotten about. Knives are fascinating items as most who visit this place believe.

Since we are who we are, I think we could safely leave the poll options as they are, and just adjust the question to....

"How many knives do you carry at any one time?”

Back