How many knives does the average BF member own?

Looking for the average number of knives we own

• Less than 7

Votes: 25 6.7%
  • 7-10 (different 1 each day!)

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • 10-14 (I can carry a different blade each day for 2 weeks!)

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • 14-20 (I think I may have a problem...in a good way)

Votes: 45 12.0%
  • 20-30 ( I have too much disposable income...)

Votes: 48 12.8%
  • 30+ (I have serious issues and am not ashamed)

Votes: 77 20.5%
  • 50-100

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • 100-200

Votes: 40 10.7%
  • 200-300

Votes: 17 4.5%
  • 300+

Votes: 14 3.7%

• Total voters
I gave it some deep thought and came up with 42.
I was curious and checked my list that I started in 2016. The list does not include many knives I purchased before 2010. I counted slightly over 100 different blades. There are more.

I've had to change my answer a couple of times. First from the low, high limitation. Then from a couple bad guesses. Finally, was a bit bored today, so I started to count some of the shelves and drawers. Fortunately most of them are very inexpensive.

Rough Riders have been a bit of a weakness. I like to try out different models and finish combinations, and RR's let that happen inexpensively. So, way more than I need? Uh, yeah. But not really that many dollars invested.

I've never counted or really every thought about how many I have ...

but best answer I can give is that ...

1. I have more than I truely need ...
2. I have less than I'd truely like to have ...
3. there are a handful that I still hope to add to whatever the number is ...

More than three . . . less than a thousand . . . I've never counted and don't want to know.
It might make me think twice about buying another one.
I just bought my third Brand Zinker Urban Trapper . . .
so I must have a few more knives than three come to think about it. :rolleyes:

More than I could ever use, I also have a rule about buying a knife I wouldn’t use. I just don’t, but will never get around to using them all :D.

I originally estimated my collection to be just under 2 dozen, then I remembered the kitchen knives (not family kitchen knives but my personal ones for sharpening practice) which bumps the number to a little over 30.

I'm going with 30 plus.
I don't know who the average member is; but I know there are a lot of members with over 30 knives (myself included). Everybody with more than 30 knives has 30+ knives; so there isn't really a reason to further quantify.

I only consider what I own what gets to see the light of day regularly so those extra few don't really count

According to my spreadsheet, I have 35 knives all together. Of that, I have 22 that I actively use (somewhat), and of that number, 13 is my actual EDC rotation.

My absolute last knife I'll ever buy is my BM 531. Before that, my absolutely last knife I'll ever buy was a Kizer Sliver and before that my Spyderco Positron, and before that....

Currently in the 56-60 range and honestly I don’t see the needle moving much at this point.
Use,
Daily :1
Weekly :2
Monthly :5
Yearly :10

I try to stay under 70. Once I hit that number, I sell ones I find may no longer hold the same appeal they originally did (often because they have effectively been replaced by similar/upgraded models). It’s getting really hard to do that now since I am really attached to the ones I have. The struggle is real.

I'm new to the forum, not even sure if I'm posting right, but not new to knives.. I'm in the 200-300 range. My wife has around 20, and soon as she realizes there's life beyond Kershaw....that number will grow I'm sure lol,

Currently in the 56-60 range and honestly I don’t see the needle moving much at this point.
That is what I thought until I actually counted a portion of my knives that I have on a list (summary) that I started a couple years ago to help me remember. I didn't see the needle moving much in 2018 either as I thought I had pretty much what I wanted and needed. But, I have already purchased more knives than last year which blows a knife buying reduction trend I had initiated. I have had a lot of years to buy knives. This is not a hobby or interest that just started last year....

Back