How many of you really NEED a knife

No more than I NEED a comfy place to sleep. I find EDCing a knife to be very useful. But I'm a Guide & spend much of my time outdoors &/or off the grid.

Alot of times when I carry it, I don't need it.
The VERY few times I didn't, I encountered situations where I thought "Damn, I could really use a knife right now."

Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't...much like your brain. :D

Is it just me or is posting the question "how many of you need a knife" on Blade Forums similar to:

Generic gun forum: how many of you need a gun?
Generic hunting forum: how many of you need to hunt?
Generic motorcycle forum: how many of you need a motorcycle?

---

Beckerhead #42

i never know what im gonna be doing when i go to work until 8:00 when the boss tells me.
some days i need a knife to open bags of masonry, maybe cutting expansion, or sharpening a pencil when im doing carpentry work...so yes, i do need a knife monday-friday.
saturday and sunday i carry a knife just because :D

After about 60 years of carrying a pocket knife I find the question absurd ! Besides I'm known as someone who always has one so when someone needs a cutting done they ask me.

Funny question given that I left my pocket knife on my night stand today...
At the office, I really don't need a pocket knife. I have a small tool kit at my desk since a fair amount of my job is "hands on", and multi-function tools don't work as well as dedicated function tools. Outside of the office, it gets used quite a bit. About half the time for the blade, and about half the time for the various other funtions (screwdriver, prybar, scraper, etc).

I've tried to get by without a blade, and I can to a degree if there are scissors and other implements. But, sometimes I really do need a blade

Is it just me or is posting the question "how many of you need a knife" on Blade Forums similar to:

Generic gun forum: how many of you need a gun?
Generic hunting forum: how many of you need to hunt?
Generic motorcycle forum: how many of you need a motorcycle?

---

Beckerhead #42
I agree. I don't see the point of the question. But then agin, this is Bladeforums and questions don't really need to have a point. And I'm certainly not required to respond.

I'm sure we all own many things that we don't use every day, or every week, or every year. I own tools that I use maybe once a year, but when I need them, I need them, and I'm glad I have them. I don't judge "need" based on how many times a day or week I use something.

I use my knives every day at work, and I use them almost every day at home. Using the knife in my pocket is a lot more convenient then going to get a pair of scissors.

I'm sure there are many people who carry knives because they want to rather than because they need to, but I don't judge them for that.

Yes I NEED a knife. More than one is debatable. But I choose to sit out of that debate.

I need a knife often, besides screw need, this is america. I work hard, I get what I want. lol

I don't NEED my smartphone, but it makes things a lot easier.

I hate those damn perforated lines on stuff... Always tear unevenly. And don't get me started on opening a bag of potato chips to have the bag tear and send chips all over. Oh, and how many times have you seen someone tearing and chewing at a candy package in the movie theatres to get it open because they can't see the little "tear here" thing in the dark, or like so often it just didn't work worth a crap.

They make life easier.

Was this question NEEDED? No, but I really enjoy reading the answers. I enjoy reading the answers to a lot of questions that the asker probably asked just to see what kind of answers people feel like giving. It's all fun.

I work in an office, too. My wife makes me a sandwich for lunch every day and I like to cut it with my large Sebenza Insingo. :)

I need a knife! My grandpa taught me that a gentleman always has a knife, and I have to try and convince my clients that I'm a gentleman, so.......

I work in a large kitchen as a cook and need my knife many times each day. Usually for things like opening food packaging, box's, cutting which ever type of food. Althogh even if I didnt need a knife for work I would undoubtedly carry one anyways for not just self defense situation but because like mostly everyone on this forum I have a knife fetish.

My knife is the most important tool I carry. I use it, honestly, close to 50 times daily. If I forgot my phone at home, I'd say forget it. However, if I left my knife at home.... I'll be turning around :)

heck noooooo. I always check my pockets for my phone,wallet,truck keys and then my knife. after that then I go out to my truck to leave.

i probally dont use my knife EVERY day, i do use it and make alot of excuses to use my knives tho lol. but like others said, its better have it and not need it, than to not have it, and need it. thats why i carry mine everyday, other than being a knife nutt. Also i find other people asking to use my knife alot. (friends) always say "Brian let me see your knife." they know i always have at least one on me.

I can't say for sure how many times a day I use my knife any more than I can tell how often I look at my watch. In either case it varies, and I hate not having it on me when I need it!

I use my knife every time i work (part-time)to open and breakdown boxes. On days i don't work i can usually find something to cut so carry a knife just in case.

I definitely don't 'need' my knife daily, but when I do it reminds me why I carry it daily. Because needing a knife and not having one is one of the most frustrating situations to end up in (especially for us knife knuts).

I think this hits the nail on the head for me

Back