How many of you really NEED a knife

I work in a closed psych facility. The hospital frowns on employees carrying knives in pysch and it is also a felony in Fla if caught. I do carry a Cold steel pocket shark (sanded off the shark logo) and a classic swiss army knife on my keychain for boxes and linenstraps. When I wear regular pants instead of scrubs I carry a Sog flash I or a Case peanut.

Although my profession is massage therapist, I use my knife daily to cut strapping that holds fresh massage sheets. Besides myself, the only other person at my place of work who does that also carries a clip knife. No one else does it, and when they don't it's a major inconvenience. Everyone knows I use my knife and like it when I do.

I've had many jobs in my life but never an office job. I have to say I use a couple of my knives every single day for various things, and not because I'm trying to find anexcuse to use them, either.

Jim

A knife is not something I always need but it will always be there when I need it most :)

This man probably could've gone through his day without a knife...

[video=youtube;Bkj9E1w5EvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkj9E1w5EvE[/video]

What do you need anything for ?

I imagine we'll get to the day that you'll be fine with a government certified chip in your arm and a thong.

Only terrorists need things, right ? :D

I work a combination of mechanics, office and supervisor work. And a lot of just plain BS. These duties can happen at any and all times of the day. I would say I use a knife 9 out of ten days. Today I used my knife 9 times that I can remember. Not for rough duty today, but to peel stickers from a key box, open a box, etc. Today I probably could have used a finger nail, but it was faster and easier with a knife. Some days my knife takes more of a beating. Occasionally I could go through the day without one. But I like them, and see them as a time saving tool.

I carry a knife 24 hours a day, even in my sleep I have a CS Voyager cllipped to my basketball shorts that I sleep in along with a bowie knife and shotgun next to my bed and a guard dog sleeps next to my bed incase anybody creeps in.my dog alerts me of any sounds he hears and he wakes me up and lets me know.

I have a knife on me at all times in public, anything can happen, what if a crazy big dog comes out of no where and locks his jaws on your arm, you're gonna wish you didn't forget your knife.

i guess i don't really NEED it. but it's nice to have a knife or two with me. things come up at least once a day where i'm glad i have a knife with me. yesterday my migraine was about to kick in and i couldn't open the med. it's in strange child proof packet. zt 550 solved it really quick.. yeah.. it was overkill but it worked.

This exact situation happened to me today, I was out with my wife and pulled out my PM2 and my wife kinda whispered like she was embarrased but whatever, I get excited when I realize I gotta slice something when I'm just hangin out. "Strange child proof packets" dont intimidate me anymore. When we got home I saw a package on the front door and immediately pulled out the PM2 before opening the door and opened it with gusto!

Funny how people look at things differently. One looks at it as, if you don't use a knife daily, maybe you don't really "need" a knife. I look at it as, even though I may not use may knife daily, doesn't mean I need it any less. I wouldn't not own a gun, just because I don't use it everyday. I wouldn't not own a car, just because I don't use it everyday...And I wouldn't not carry a knife everyday, just because I might not use it everyday. I carry a knife for those times when I do need it, not the times I don't.

I use knives all day every day.

I even use a knife to
spread butter on my toast.

My EDC comes out most often for opening
boxes, packing tape, etc.

I usually use my edc once a day for minor opening tasks. It's just nice to know you have it by your side. I don't feel right leaving home without some kind of blade.

In daily life, if I carry a single blade knife, either fixed or folder, I don't use it all the time, but I do enjoy carrying it and try to find use for it. My SAK sees a lot of use. Especially the scissors and it's also nice to always have a few screw drivers in your pocket.

I'm a general contractor and before that I was a ship fitter, before that I was a carpenter. So yes, I need my knife everyday. Just today I was setting up irrigation for a customer and I had to use my knife to cut out a bad fitting. The day before I was using my knife to cut road fabric to put under a flower bed. When I worked on boats I needed my knife to open parts boxes, cut templates, scrape old flanges, make gaskets, sharpen my soap stone etc. There are some days that I don't really need my knife, like when I'm mixing concrete or digging holes, but I never know when it might come in handy so I always have it and my leatherman. And if I ever forgot my knife, then I'd probably just go home and drink.

EDIT
I didn't look at all the posts before I posted. After watching the video of the man saving the child form a seat belt it reminded me of a time that I used my pocket knife to save a teenage girl from an escalator. She was wearing a pair of chuck taylors with the laces untied. And when she got to the bottom her shoe lace was caught. I'm sure the escalator would have eaten her shoe, if not her foot, if I had not been there right behind her to cut it loose with some quick action from my benchmade dejavoo.
I am also reminded, of a news article I read here on blade forums a few years ago, an elderly womens scarf was caught in an escalator in a new york city sub way tunnel. She died because no one was there to cut her loose. That woman's grand (or great grand) children will never see her again because no one around was carrying a good sharp knife. There are many reasons to carry a knife, and it just may save the life of some one if you do.

Last edited:
Personally I use a knife every day, mostly in the office for opening letters, parcels etc, but I also enjoy cooking. I have found that many of the "non-kitchen" -knives I own are just plain better in kitchen work than my regular kitchen knives. Maybe I don't own a really good cook knife?

Being a blade-oriented martial arts practitioner, I want to train occasionally with live blades. Of course I don't "carry" my G10 Espada large or Hold Out II, but I do handle them, spin them in my hands to get used to the feel of a weapon. Kind of "live" with the knife. Also I could not think of kayaking or hiking without a proper folder or fixed blade. Also at the summer cottage I use knife daily.

I carry a knife every day so I don't have to be that guy who asks to borrow YOUR knife...

:D

Hey guys. First let me say that this isn't meant to criticize anyone. I was responding to a post in another sub forum, and someone mention that they hadn't used their knife that day. I replied and said, don't worry, I don't use mine most days, and that when I do, it usually isn't really necessary, it's more of me finding a reason to use it. Before I moved into an office job, I was working in the field as a Steamfitter. In that setting, I used my Delica daily. Now, being in an office, I rarely ever need it. I have scissors, and 90% of all packaging that I run across has some type of perforated line so that you can tear it open. I still carry one everyday just because I enjoy it. I'm just wondering how many others could get through most days without their knife.

What is the meaning of "need"? How many of us need electricity, or telephones, or DVD players, or television or radio? Do we really need airplanes, or automobiles? :rolleyes:

My whole job is using knives all day every day. Im a chef so when im not cutting up food im cutting open and breaking down boxes or cutting open huge bags of onions or, because my kitchen is in a 150 year old building, im performing some kind of maintenance but like i say there is hardly a time in the day when im not using a knife.
Brian

What is the meaning of "need"? How many of us need electricity, or telephones, or DVD players, or television or radio? Do we really need airplanes, or automobiles? :rolleyes:
You need a telephone if your profession requires long distance communication. You need electricity if your profession relies on electric/electronic devices. You need a DVD player if you have DVDs. You need television and radio if you want to view or listen to various media. You need airplanes and automobiles if you need to travel distances at a rate of speed higher than you can manage on foot, bicycle, or on a horse. You need a knife if you have to cut things. If you do not have to cut things, you do not need a knife. If you do not get cut, you do not need bandaids. If you rarely get cut, you probably don't have a bandaid in your pocket. That doesn't mean there isn't an occasional need for bandaids, but it also doesn't mean that bandaids are a "need" everyday for everyone.

Not sure why so many are taking such high levels of offense. If your answer is yes, then it is yes, doesn't mean asking the question was insulting. The guys with 1000 knives in their collection, or the $5000 customs probably don't 'need' all those knives for EDC tasks, and they populate the forums just like the self-proclaimed everyman ready to tackle tasks and emergencies.

I work in a paper mill and I use my mini grip all the time and at home as well. Yesterday I was using my Sierra zip stove and needed it to turn over the spam in my cast iron skillet because I had nothing else. The knife is always there and always handy.

Back