How many stitches per inch do you prefer?

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
How many stitches per inch or how many mm spacing between holes do you prefer?
Do you have less/larger stitches on large sheaths and more/finer stitches on smaller ones?

I was doing 6mm stiches (app.4,5 per inch) on small sheaths but just did two with 4mm sitches (app 6,5 per inch) and it does look good. (hand stiching for me)

I will generally use 6 per inch on sheaths and holsters but will go to as much as 10 per inch on inlays or small things like front pocket wallets. Finer stitches, finer thread.
Randy

For me it depends on the leather and what the end look is. If I'm using 1mm thread I'll do 4.5-6 per inch. I'm using .5mm usually 6-8 . Anything in a thin leather I'll use thin thread. Like kip shin or deer. Thick leathers aka 5/6 upto about 9 oz veg-tan I will use .8mm even 1mm. But I'm not a professional like most these guys. So don't take my word for anything. Everyone skins a cat there own way. Find what you like a roll with it. I'm sure what your doing looks awesome brother.

YOU can talk stitches per in till the cows come home but I won't know which I prefer until I can see WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! Pics are the only solution THANKS.....BUD

YOU can talk stitches per in till the cows come home but I won't know which I prefer until I can see WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! Pics are the only solution THANKS.....BUD
People here are more then willing to help and lend a hand at any point. You should try to word your questions with a bit more humility if you don't know something or would like a bit more detail. Cheers and have a wonderful day. I posted a few pictures with sum stitching sizes. None per inch so you don't have to worry about that. Just so you can see what you like.

Last edited:
Different sizes for different jobs. Thinner lighter work generally a higher count and thicker work, lower. We also use different thread size for different work. Size 138 for finer work and 207 for heavier.

This notebook cover is stitched at about 8 stitches to the inch and is in 138 size thread.

0XqyT2s.jpg

This rifle scabbard is stitched at about 6 stitches to the inch and is in size 207 thread.

a5p7B49.jpg

We don't mess with stitch adjustment much. We have two different machines. A Cobra 18 for the lighter work and a Cobra 4 for the heavier. The project picks the machine.

Different sizes for different jobs. Thinner lighter work generally a higher count and thicker work, lower. We also use different thread size for different work. Size 138 for finer work and 207 for heavier.

This notebook cover is stitched at about 8 stitches to the inch and is in 138 size thread.

0XqyT2s.jpg

This rifle scabbard is stitched at about 6 stitches to the inch and is in size 207 thread.

a5p7B49.jpg

We don't mess with stitch adjustment much. We have two different machines. A Cobra 18 for the lighter work and a Cobra 4 for the heavier. The project picks the machine.
Beautify work brother. Very clean and detailed. Tip my hat to you good sir.

Back