How much can Spyderco service do?

I recently purchased a used Almite Walker here on Bladeforums. Unfortunately, the condition of the knife is less than stellar. The handle has several scratches and gouges, and more importantly, there is some blade play even when the blade is locked open. The liner lock contacts the opposite liner in the locked position, so apparently it isn't seating firmly against the blade.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what Spyderco would do with this if I sent it in for service? I'm sure the handle scratches and gouges are the fault of the previous owner, but the lockup could conceivably have been loose from the start (not that any Spyderco I have purchased new ever had a loose lockup). Is it worth sending in? I don't mind paying for repairs, but if they'll only fix problems that are under warranty (i.e. materials and workmanship) I'd guess my chances are slim. The Spyderco warranty cards don't really specify what happens when the repairs are possible but not covered by the warranty.

-Brett

------------------
brett@rahul.net
www.rahul.net/brett

The other thing that may or may not be critical to you is time.

Figure a week to get there (depending on where you are), a couple of weeks before it gets looked at, time for refinish/repair etc., time for getting sent back to you.

DaveH

Back