Recommendation? How much Magnification to See Edge Detail

rollintent

Gold Member
Basic Member
I’m entertaining the idea of purchasing a relatively inexpensive stereo scope to study my edges with at different stages of the sharpening process. How many times magnification is plenty?

If your vision is relatively good and the magnified view is brightly illuminated, anything from ~ 3X - 10X works well. Also depends on what you're looking for; if you're into really polished edges and want to examine super-fine scratch patterns on bevels, something higher may be more to your preference. On the other hand, if you're just looking for evidence of burring, or chips or rolls in the edge, the 3X - 10X range is plenty good.

Lighting makes a bigger difference than higher magnification. So, I'd emphasize that first. Avoid high-mag units with dim built-in lighting; they're worthless if the light isn't good. At higher magnification (10X or more), the view will get very, very dim as the magnification goes up. But if the light is good, a lot more texture & detail starts to 'pop' into view, even at a lowly 3X or so.

Field of view gets very narrow and depth of focus is very shallow at high mag, so that's a consideration as well. And working distances get very short, from eye to lens, and from lens to the viewed object. I've generally liked using 3X - 5X magnifiers for spotting burrs or incomplete apexing, etc, as the optics are larger in diameter and the working/viewing distances are more comfortable, and lighting issues aren't so problematic either.

Last edited:
I use a stereo zoom that goes from about 12x-140x. Most of the time you will be tilting the blade and observing how the light plays off the bevel - for that 20-30x is ideal.

I don't know what zoom I use with my inherited microscope is but I would guess 70x, comparing it to my 10x loupe. As stated too much zoom and the depth of focus is too small to be useful. I got a usb camera for it and that also was a total game changer, I haven't used the microscope without it since I got it. Upgrading to a microscope totally changed the way I sharpen, that and the Science of Sharp blog.

I have owned and used a 10X Optivisor for MANY yrs. It works just fine, with a decent desk light, to view my knife edges...burrs and all.
Nothing further is needed or desired.

I think I want to be able to clearly see the scratch patterns when stripping with diamond sprays and try to see my progress and when to go to the next grit. I don’t know what I “need” to do that. I suppose I’ll try a loupe or magnification visor first since I presume they’re the lower cost options. I appreciate the input.

I think I want to be able to clearly see the scratch patterns when stripping with diamond sprays and try to see my progress and when to go to the next grit. I don’t know what I “need” to do that. I suppose I’ll try a loupe or magnification visor first since I presume they’re the lower cost options. I appreciate the input.

I use a 30x loupe for edge inspection while sharpening but if I really want to see what is going on then a cheap USB microscope in the 200-400x range is ideal. 200x is nice but 400x gives some much detail and once you have seen a few edges at 200x or more things make more sense when using the 20-30x loupes.

Back