How often do you actually use the knife on your multi-tool?

Decided I wanted to try a Rebar in black oxide too so I ordered that today. Doesn't have a knifeless option but oh well.

It really depends on where and when. I've got a small stack of multitools, and generally I use the blades on all of them. A short rundown
Skeletool CX- modified tip to make a more sheeps-foot profile, climbing rescue tool
Rebar- lightweight tool, currently for general purpose urban/ audio-visual job use
Surge- I'm currently working maintenance in a factory, so it gets a lot of use, cutting hoses for new air-lines (we use a lot of air-tools) removing old belts or crap from machine axles, etc
Swisstool, the main knife in my "controlled evacuation" bag

Main reason, while I can get away with carrying another knife at work, and often carry a small slipjoint on off days, the multies mean I can carry a "tool" and a knife with a lot more legal leeway, and its not a detriment overall. If I need to sharpen it weekly over monthly, big whoop. Most people are more comfortable with a multi, and up until this job, I've always been client facing. So for me, it's just a "aint broke" sort of thing. That said, I can easily add a small fixed or folder if the conditions warrant, but as a baseline, I get away with the multi's just fine.
That's not to say that there isn't another knife of some variety far away. My lunchkit, EDC bag, and car all have other knives in them, so I'm sure I'll make due if something were to need cutting.

As I'm sure others have probably said, I'm one of the folks who carries a "main" folding knife in my dominant-hand pocket, and a SAK in my other pocket. If something needs cutting, the primary folder will usually get the nod, but of course, there's always something going on that one of the tools on a SAK can handle. I will say, I wouldn't feel under-knifed if I was just carrying a SAK, I'm just a knife knut, so of course multiple knives makes perfect sense, despite the SAK (or any multi-tool) technically being able to handle it all by itself.

While I own a few Leatherman full size models, I rarely carry them; they are relegated to home and truck. I do carry the small Style CS everyday in the watch pocket of my pants; the tiny blade is handy for little chores (small packages, etc) and the scissors are often used during the day.

If the MT is already out, I’ll use the knife rather than pull out my primary just for that. Yesterday the knife blade sliced open boxes and hardware bags for some bookcases since I was already using the MT for other parts of the assembly.

I reach for whatever is most convenient. MyJPEG_20210826_085105_6519235090236096933.jpg
JPEG_20210826_085213_4392935096684528674.jpg
single-bladed one-hand-opening Benchmade is clipped to my right front pocket, making it usually my first choice, however, sometimes I need serrated or a pointer point to get the job done.
This week I had to cut the plastic straps the lumber yard used to bind some building supplies together, and, while my Benchmade struggled hopelessly, my Surge serrated blade zipped right through. So I'm not willing to give up the blades on my multitool. T-A

For now I use the ine on my surge everyday, but I'm pilling up for a spyderco amalgam.

The day I will receive it I will swap the blade on my surge for a scalpel holder. In other word, it will become my replacable blade for cutting thing on steel, cement and stripping wire.

It's a nice blade though and it certainly fit the 20-80 rule of most mutitool. But it ain't a separated folder and even less a fixed blade.

How often do you actually use the knife on your multi-tool?

Just as an aside, I see this accidental usage often. Surely it’s the blade? ;)

Last edited:
Almost never. The exception, and something I prefer to a standard blade on multi-tools and SAK's is something that can have a designated use as a box/package opener. For example the Victorinox "orange peeler", "cut and picker", or better yet the Harvester blade.

I use the serrated blade on my Surge all the time at work, it’s perfect for dirty/rough/ abuse type jobs.
If there is a delicate purely sharp blade cutting task then that’s the job for my Spyderco .

Rich S brings up an interesting point, namely, do SAKs count as multitools or pocket knives for the purposes of this thread? I think the question "How often do you actually use the blade on your Swiss Army Knife?" would receive different answers.

Rich S brings up an interesting point, namely, do SAKs count as multitools or pocket knives for the purposes of this thread? I think the question "How often do you actually use the blade on your Swiss Army Knife?" would receive different answers.
I was thinking more along the lines of plier-based multi-tools, as opposed to a SAK where the knife blade is still more or less the primary tool on it, making it like a pocket knife with extras.

Back