How often do you grease the chassis?

chassis A throw back from the day when your wheels would literally fall off if you didn't grease the car regularly.

I'm a bit OCD with my Small Micarta Insingo. Is it a big deal to lube often?.......or
I find myself opening it up often.:eek:

It depends. If I am in a nasty fire scene and gets filled up with charred goods I will clean it and add some grease

On the other hand, my Sebs that rotate out of my EDC it might be a few months before there is enough gunk to require me to take it apart.

Every time they are torn down they are greased.

It kinda depends on how often we can both get away from work.

Knives on the other hand often suffer from too much lube.

Usually every couple of months, but I take them apart once a year and clean them off really well.

It depends. I have went up to a year without lubing and everything was fine. Pocket lint is what gums them up more than anything. Its gets between the blade and the blade pivot stop pin. Keep that area clean and you will need less lubing. I only lube when needed, not a OCD Luber......lol

I used to make it a habit when I got a new sebenza to break it down, scrub it all up and lube it up. I could not find my lube for awhile, so I bought a couple and did not perform the ritual, but alas, everything was fine anyways......lol.

After some experimentation and investigation, I've come to the conclusion that it takes a really long time for any grit or lint to work its way into the pivot itself, due to the gap between the blade and washers being so tight. However, the detent ball glides across the exposed part of the blade and can get gritty, sticky, washed clean of lube, and result in a sticky or gritty feeling knife. I feel the key to a smooth sebenza has more to do with the detent ball and track being clean and lightly lubed, than the pivot itself. If my knife starts to feel sticky, I clean the detent track without taking the knife apart, using some folded over paper towel, and then apply a tiny bit of grease with a toothpick. Voila.....smooth knife again.

This works for me, and might be worth a try yourself. Just saves a bunch of unnecessary dissasembly after you cut an orange etc, and your pivot seems suddenly crappy.

It depends. The one I carry in my pocket daily needs a clean and lube about once a month. The Sebenza's I carry in the leather pouch and use lightly rarely need maintenance.

once a year maybe or when I take them apart
mine are in a small calfskin pouch so nothing else than some leather dust (yep, and some pocket lint) comes in so they get gritty pretty slowly, I use them well

I lube from the top, knife closed if it feels gritty, other wise not

It depends. The one I carry in my pocket daily needs a clean and lube about once a month. The Sebenza's I carry in the leather pouch and use lightly rarely need maintenance.

Ditto. The pouch really keeps lint and dirt out of the knife. :thumb up:

I asked crk, they say it depends on use, should be done about once a year to protect against corrosion if it's not dirty.

I went. 2 years with my edc Tanto Umnum with zero problems. Every so often I'd use a napkin or my shirt to clean between the scales if it was ugly enough. It saw use for everything from food to breaking down boxes and was still smooth as silk, if it got a little gritty I'd just give it a good hard flick open and it'd be smooth again, I'm sure that it was from debris getting in the detent ball- the pivot was perfect.

I clean my edc seb's when they need it, no set schedule, you can tell when it's time. I don't do it compulsively like some of my fellow CRK addicts, but I do understand why they do.

After some experimentation and investigation, I've come to the conclusion that it takes a really long time for any grit or lint to work its way into the pivot itself, due to the gap between the blade and washers being so tight. However, the detent ball glides across the exposed part of the blade and can get gritty, sticky, washed clean of lube, and result in a sticky or gritty feeling knife. I feel the key to a smooth sebenza has more to do with the detent ball and track being clean and lightly lubed, than the pivot itself. If my knife starts to feel sticky, I clean the detent track without taking the knife apart, using some folded over paper towel, and then apply a tiny bit of grease with a toothpick. Voila.....smooth knife again.

This works for me, and might be worth a try yourself. Just saves a bunch of unnecessary dissasembly after you cut an orange etc, and your pivot seems suddenly crappy.

I think he hit it with the above comment. Tolerances are tight enough on these that the detent ball track and where the blade hits the stop are the only areas that need attention too often.

With the caveat that your usage may vary from mine.

Back