1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

how tight should saya fit

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Jpgied, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Jpgied

Jpgied

Dec 20, 2017
    If my knife is ⅛" thick at the ricasso, could you just layer 3 pieces of ⅛" thick wood? The first time i made one i layered .002 g10 between the layers to let the blade seat easier but i think that probably leaves it too loose. I've heard someone mention tapering the middle welt layer of wood. Is this necessary or desired? Finally, would a wood like paduak be fine for the outside, if the welt is basswood? Thanks.

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    We need a little info here? In general, it is a good idea to post photos of the knife and saya so we know what you are doing.
    Sword, tanto, kitchen knife/yanagiba, kiridashi, pocket puukko?

On most blades, the habaki or ricasso is the only part that fits snugly imto the saya. The rest of te saya should be just a tad larger than the blade to prevent rattling, but not rubbing the blade.
    On kitchen kmnife sayas, the saya is pretty loose, and retained by a pin (mekigi) that goes behind the heel.

Jpgied likes this.
  3. Jpgied

Jpgied

Dec 20, 2017
  4. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    You could use a pin to hold it

Jpgied likes this.
  5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes, make a somewhat loose saya and retain it with a pin that goes behind the curved heel section. This knife is by DanielC:

[​IMG]

6. Jpgied

Jpgied

Dec 20, 2017
    "Somewhat loose" works. I just wasn't sure if they were supposed to be held tight enough not to move around at all. Wish i could see that pic, though. Thanks for your help, Stacy.

7. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    You should be able to see that pic
    Nice hamon and blade profile btw

Jpgied likes this.
  8. Jpgied

Jpgied

Dec 20, 2017
    Guess it was a browser issue, i see it now. Beautiful knife.
    And thank you!