how tight should saya fit

If my knife is ⅛" thick at the ricasso, could you just layer 3 pieces of ⅛" thick wood? The first time i made one i layered .002 g10 between the layers to let the blade seat easier but i think that probably leaves it too loose. I've heard someone mention tapering the middle welt layer of wood. Is this necessary or desired? Finally, would a wood like paduak be fine for the outside, if the welt is basswood? Thanks.

We need a little info here? In general, it is a good idea to post photos of the knife and saya so we know what you are doing.
Sword, tanto, kitchen knife/yanagiba, kiridashi, pocket puukko?

On most blades, the habaki or ricasso is the only part that fits snugly imto the saya. The rest of te saya should be just a tad larger than the blade to prevent rattling, but not rubbing the blade.
On kitchen kmnife sayas, the saya is pretty loose, and retained by a pin (mekigi) that goes behind the heel.

Yes, make a somewhat loose saya and retain it with a pin that goes behind the curved heel section. This knife is by DanielC:

20180530_181345-jpg.918522

"Somewhat loose" works. I just wasn't sure if they were supposed to be held tight enough not to move around at all. Wish i could see that pic, though. Thanks for your help, Stacy.

Back