How to attach micarta scale with screws?

Hi guys. Rookie knife maker here, go easy on me.

I'm making scales for a Damascus blade I bought.
I'm making it of micarta, I'm totally down with the epoxy/fabric part of it, I worked with glasfiber and epoxy for years.

Original I wanted to attach the blade with brass pins, but have since decided to go for screws, cuz I think it looks better, the kind of screw with a barrel in the middle with inside threads, and a screw on each side through the handle.

Tactics-lock-DIY-tools-material-Knife-handle-plate-Fastening-Plum-style-M4-ESEEKnives-screw-Rivet-Furniture.jpg

When the plan was to use brass pins, it was fairly straight forward.
-Cut the micarta to roughly the correct size
-Mount with epoxy or glue together with brass pins
-Sand/file/cut micarta and brass down to desired shape and size
-Go have a cold bear.

But now I'm not quit sure how to do it, I obviously don't want to sand my screws down, but I can't really see how I can shape the handle without attaching it to the blade (I want a perfect fit/level between the steel and handle material)

....do I attach it with brass rods, and then after I'm done shaping, knock out the brass so I can countersink the holes and put in the barrel and screws?

Hi guys. Rookie knife maker here, go easy on me.

I'm making scales for a Damascus blade I bought.
I'm making it of micarta, I'm totally down with the epoxy/fabric part of it, I worked with glasfiber and epoxy for years.

Original I wanted to attach the blade with brass pins, but have since decided to go for screws, cuz I think it looks better, the kind of screw with a barrel in the middle with inside threads, and a screw on each side through the handle.

Tactics-lock-DIY-tools-material-Knife-handle-plate-Fastening-Plum-style-M4-ESEEKnives-screw-Rivet-Furniture.jpg

When the plan was to use brass pins, it was fairly straight forward.
-Cut the micarta to roughly the correct size
-Mount with epoxy or glue together with brass pins
-Sand/file/cut micarta and brass down to desired shape and size
-Go have a cold bear.

But now I'm not quit sure how to do it, I obviously don't want to sand my screws down, but I can't really see how I can shape the handle without attaching it to the blade (I want a perfect fit/level between the steel and handle material)

....do I attach it with brass rods, and then after I'm done shaping, knock out the brass so I can countersink the holes and put in the barrel and screws?
Yes. That's what I would do. :thumbsup:Good luck!

Moving this one to Shop Talk.

i would epoxy or superglue the scale to the tang, and drill the central hole ( that fits the silver part), flip the knife over and do the other side. then shape and finish the handle. then i would countersink holes for the black part of the fasteners so they sit below the surface of the handle.

Thank you guys!

I think I'll glue the scales on with epoxy and then sand it down.

I'll post a pic when I'm done

I just took this photo a few days ago to text to a friend who is wanting to do removable scales. This is a prototype I did a few years ago but, I've used this hardware setup on quite a few knives. I use 1/4" O.D. barrels and 10-32 button head cap screws. I drill the tang and scales to 1/4" and press in brass pins for shaping. When all the shaping is done, I knock the temporary pins out and counterbore the holes so the screw heads sit flush with the surface. Next I trim the barrels down so they are just below the lip of the counterbore when assembled. You may need to adjust the length of your screws to keep them from touching in the center of the barrel when assembled.

You can use the same steps with countersunk screws but, you just have to watch the depth of the head.

Bob

Wash it with one of those “scratchless” blue dish sponges. It should knock off the rust without doing too much to your pattern.

Then put a light coat of mineral oil or something like that on it to keep the rust off.

Back