How to Belt Carry a Taco Sheath with Paracord

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Horizontal carry is easy enough to explain without need of pics. Just make two loops of paracord, one for each of the first two sheath eyelets. Make sure they go through the eyelet and around the top of the sheath, and cinch them down as tight as you can while having enough room for your belt to slip through, and you're good to go.

Vertical carry eluded me for a long time, and though I am sure I am not the only person to have "discovered" this, discover it I did, just tonight. And since I have had a few conversations in the past with people who were looking for quick/easy/minimalist ways to belt carry a taco sheath, I figured this could come in handy for some people out there. For vertical, I think it's easier to show as well as tell.

Put both ends of a piece or cord each through one of the first two eyelets of your sheath. Tie it off so the loop is secured to the sheath. Wrap the tied end around the sheath. Slip the belt in so it passes behind the sheath at the tied end of the loop, and at the eyelets, and you have a perfectly secure vertical carry system that ride nice and close to the body.

You can make it as tight as you want, or loosen it up to allow the sheath to cant, which will give you a bit more freedom of movement.

IMG_8613.JPG

IMG_8614.JPG

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8616.JPG

About the knife: I just finished it. It's a new large EDC for me in 15N20, with peel ply G10 and hidden brass pins. I'm calling it the 15-N-Tac. ;) It was a fun build.

IMG_8611.JPG
IMG_8612.JPG

Just a quick update: This is now my preferred method of fixed blade carry, which I use every day. The knife does not protrude out from the body, meaning it has minimal print if any, and is quite comfortable. I use it with anywhere from 4" to 6" blades. I do not drive a car though.

Thanks Timmy. The pins are short and the scales are drilled from the inside, but not all the way through.

Very cool post David. That idea is about as dead simple and minimal as it gets. I can see that working great for lighter fixed blades in reasonable lengths. What is the knot you used on the paracord by the way?

Thanks for the nice photos to demonstrate the idea. I like the knife design quire a bit too. I could see trying one of those in 3/32” Magnacut in my future.

Phil

Something very similar is used in the firearms/self defense market for semi-autos carrying "Mexican carry" safely.

Paracord is looped through a kydex trigger guard.
I'd show a picture, but idk what your opinions on All That, being Canadian, and I don't wanna mess up YOUR thread. :D

*but it works very well.

What is the knot you used on the paracord by the way?

I don't know what its called. I just hold the two ends parallel to each other and tie a "normal knot" 🤷‍♂️

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer I'm getting déja vu. You once before said something similar to me, and I told you I have nothing against the idea of firearms carry for self defense. It's the Canadian legal system that has a problem with it, and that's the only reason I don't do it, so... pic?

Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer I'm getting déja vu. You once before said something similar to me, and I told you I have nothing against the idea of firearms carry for self defense. It's the Canadian legal system that has a problem with it, and that's the only reason I don't do it, so... pic?
I kinda thought so too. ;)

I get the vertical carry pretty easily, I've done similar. But I can't picture how you are describing the horizontal carry. I hear that I'm backwards sometimes though.

I’ll show you in a bit

Sorry I got side tracked.

We’re gonna play a game of let’s pretend using my EDC serrated Prevail in 15N20 and freehand textured suretouch.

IMG-5803.jpg

Let’s pretend my finger is actually my belt. Here is the vertical carry method already described and shown.

IMG-5801.jpg

Now let’s pretend that I removed that cord and tied two more pieces on exactly as described in the first paragraph of this thread. Let’s also pretend that the strip of cardboard is my belt.

IMG-5802.jpg

Back