How to buy a Survive! knife?

MatthewSB

Gold Member
I know that these are released in batches, and that you can pre-order one straight from the factory. What I'm not sure of is...

...Once a batch is ready, are they available straight from Survive!'s website, or do I have to keep an eye on the dealers?

I really want to try a 4.1 :D

Lo MatthewSB,
Do you mean the new 4.1 or the old? The new ones are still being made, not ready or sale yet, but S!K has stated that there will be many available on their website after pre-orders (investors ;)) have been built and sent. I'm not sure if dealers are included among the pre-orders... it used to be the case.

If you mean the older 4.1, that has been discontinued as far as I am aware, only available on the secondary market. I have one in the new finish that I've been "testing"...

Everybody loves the 4.1 :thumbup:

The last I heard, Guy isn't working with dealers. That could change in the future, but I don't think there are plans in place to get started.

If you want a new spec 4.1, get on the website, subscribe to the newsletter and sit back and relax while you wait to here when they will be available directly through the site.

If you're interested in an old spec, then watch here on the exchange or the big auction site and stay vigilant!

Just being honest here... Unless you are willing to wait a long time, save yourself the heartache and buy a used one. I have been waiting since i preordered one in April. I don't expect to see it by Christmas at this point. If there are any left over they will be gone in a couple of hours of being posted for order. Then it would be another year at what seems to be the current production rates.

SURVIVE! is learning and improving as they go. They've said a few times that they will have many more of the preorder and starter models ready to sell. Some people confuse the leftovers of a run selling out quickly with what an actual, full production run is.

Matthew, whether you want new or old, you have some options!

Just being honest here... Unless you are willing to wait a long time, save yourself the heartache and buy a used one. I have been waiting since i preordered one in April. I don't expect to see it by Christmas at this point. If there are any left over they will be gone in a couple of hours of being posted for order. Then it would be another year at what seems to be the current production rates.

And I fear things will be getting worse before they get better. It's 8 months since the starters went up and the first knife hasn't been shipped. They have a major bottleneck deal happening.

If looking for a old spec 4.1 there is a 3v model in the exchange that's not priced too bad. Just a little high. There is also a necker and a 5. But I didn't check the listing to see if they're still available or how they're priced.

As for the 'bottle neck' it was clearly stated that there wasn't a date set for when the starters would be shipping. They finished the last run of old spec so I can see why a small company like Survive! would have a bit of trouble keeping up with demand. The fact that there orders are filled in mere hours or less should speak for the quality and craftsmanship that is poured into each and every blade. If you want something fast and nasty hit up the boob tube when the late night china sell hits. If you want quality grab a seat and have some patience. We're all adults here (or should be) and should know the difference in quality vs. quantity.

I for one have ordered two in April and am still waiting. I'm OK with it cause I got three others off the secondary market and looking at a fourth. They most certainly are worth the wait for me. But I only speak for my self. You should all make up your own minds and by all means if you don't like the wait go buy a Rambo blade and wait it out till its done. Moaning and groaning don't make it go no faster.

Sorry for the rant, I'll save the rest for my mommy when I need a shoulder.

And welcome Matthew SB. Hope your question was answered.

Having an old spec 4.1 in house I can say it is very nice in hand and would make an excellent companion on any hike or just to throw in a truck bag, ect. Great choice in my opinion.

I have my third 4.1 on order. I wanted to see the new spec compared to the old. It is probably the easiest carrying all around knife that will perform well beyond what its size would indicate. I have a GSO 10, 7/7, two 5s and a 4.1. I gifted a jimpless 3V 4.1 to a colleague a year ago. Each one is a fine knife, and was well worth the money and the wait.

I have a factory seconds GSO 5 in my inbox at work, a 4.1, 6 and 8 on order. I am planning to pick up a new spec 5.1 once the pre orders have shipped and they are available. There are no knives on the market that I think represent a better value. They are the real deal.

If looking for a old spec 4.1 there is a 3v model in the exchange that's not priced too bad. Just a little high. There is also a necker and a 5. But I didn't check the listing to see if they're still available or how they're priced.

As for the 'bottle neck' it was clearly stated that there wasn't a date set for when the starters would be shipping. They finished the last run of old spec so I can see why a small company like Survive! would have a bit of trouble keeping up with demand. The fact that there orders are filled in mere hours or less should speak for the quality and craftsmanship that is poured into each and every blade. If you want something fast and nasty hit up the boob tube when the late night china sell hits. If you want quality grab a seat and have some patience. We're all adults here (or should be) and should know the difference in quality vs. quantity.

I for one have ordered two in April and am still waiting. I'm OK with it cause I got three others off the secondary market and looking at a fourth. They most certainly are worth the wait for me. But I only speak for my self. You should all make up your own minds and by all means if you don't like the wait go buy a Rambo blade and wait it out till its done. Moaning and groaning don't make it go no faster.

Sorry for the rant, I'll save the rest for my mommy when I need a shoulder.

Nailed it

I have my third 4.1 on order. I wanted to see the new spec compared to the old. It is probably the easiest carrying all around knife that will perform well beyond what its size would indicate. I have a GSO 10, 7/7, two 5s and a 4.1. I gifted a jimpless 3V 4.1 to a colleague a year ago. Each one is a fine knife, and was well worth the money and the wait.

I have a factory seconds GSO 5 in my inbox at work, a 4.1, 6 and 8 on order. I am planning to pick up a new spec 5.1 once the pre orders have shipped and they are available. There are no knives on the market that I think represent a better value. They are the real deal.

They really are a real deal. I don't know of any other company that offers a knife with superior steel and so many options at a great price point. These things are capable to handle generations of use and I would trust my life with one if I was in a bad situation.

I'm not trying to be contentious, just honest. In case the OP was doing some Christmas shopping he needs to know.

I'm not trying to be contentious, just honest. In case the OP was doing some Christmas shopping he needs to know.

I think there's a big difference between being aware of (and understanding) the wait and dwelling on it. Some people just can't see past it. I'm all for educating new and potential customers :thumbup:

As to your first post, I don't think it will get worse before getting better, it's just not going to magically improve over night. I don't think anyone enjoys waiting, but the company and customers are in way better shape than the very first round of preorders a few years ago.

Best bet for immediate Survive! satisfaction, the exchange here on bladeforums. Troll it. Troll it hard.

Welcome to the forum Matthew. Ellie said that these new runs are being produced in bigger numbers, so there should be a good chance of scoring straight from S!K when the preorders are filled. Personally, I think things will loosen up going into next year. More knives in a run = more knives moved on the secondary market.

Oh ya. Tex, dead nuts on buddy :thumbup:

Absolutely. If ordering and expecting it within the week then that won't be an option, unless you go with the second hand market. Then you risk getting stuck paying what ever price you find.

If there is one thing i have learned about knife companies vie this hobby there is a wide swath of what to expect. If you are used to going to REI to pick out your next knife when you get into higher end "midtech" style knives, you will be disappointed. Another part of the hobby I enjoy, getting to know the company is as important and interesting as the knives, and choosing to support a company can come from more than just the pure value/design of a knife. There are plenty of other companies on these forums that are notorious for not hitting shipping goals and they are way more established than SURVIVE! So I very quickly got over it....All that said to the OP's question:

The 5.1 Knives and Maybe some factory 2nd Necker 2's should be hitting the "store" soon. As others have mentioned, I would sign up for the newsletter and check here frequently so you don't miss them.

The other knives are all on their "production schedule" section and as each knife hits the shipping window the extras made will go up for sale. Waiting will be part of the game, but man will you get a sweet knife.

The secondary market is also a great option, I have been lucky to have used all 3 options:

2x3.5/ 1x N1/ 1X4.1/ 1X5.0 all direct from company after a run
2x4.1/ 1xN2 from the exchange/facebook/the bay
1x 3.5 from preorder and likely a 6 as well.

All these options work and have their pluses and minuses, the community here will be happy to help as much or little as you want as well. I am still on the look out for a reasonably priced 3.5 in 3V for Texas_T!

I really don't have a clue have fast/slow they will sell out once they're live on the site after the preorders, but I think Silver's recommendation to get on the newsletter mailing list is right on. Ellie has always been very prompt in sending out an e-mail when new stuff hits the site. I'd say go now, sign up for the newsletter, and then go and figure out what options you want - handle, blade steel, sheath. That way you won't have any reason to hesitate when the time comes and thus perhaps get left out if they do sell out, or run out of your particular handle material or sheath color. I was on the site almost immediately when the 5's and the N2s hit and certain handle materials were gone in minutes. Those were much smaller runs than what I think will be available for the new models, but I just think you'll do yourself a favor to have your first (and second) choices picked out ahead of time.

I agree too that, practically speaking, I really think only the 5.1 and 4.7 will be available for Christmas ordering, and maybe just the 5.1 in enough time to arrive for Christmas. Can you guys believe it's almost Thanksgiving already??? Where did this year go?!?!?!?

Thanks redwood, but I have found exactly the one I wanted. :) but I had four teeth pulled yesterday and I'll just say I'm in the wrong business. But they said they would hold out if they could. I think he will he's pretty good guy.

And no kidding what a time to have my teeth pulled. At least I could mouse nibble grandmas dressing. Our family's big between my wife's and mine. We got I think five to be at including our own for everyone family and friends. I hope everyone stays safe in the travels.

Thanks redwood, but I have found exactly the one I wanted. :) but I had four teeth pulled yesterday and I'll just say I'm in the wrong business. But they said they would hold out if they could. I think he will he's pretty good guy.

And no kidding what a time to have my teeth pulled. At least I could mouse nibble grandmas dressing. Our family's big between my wife's and mine. We got I think five to be at including our own for everyone family and friends. I hope everyone stays safe in the travels.

Yikes!! I was reading an article about cross referencing work stress with pay to find the "best" jobs...I think eye drs/dentists/orthodontists were in the top 5 of low stress vs high pay...I will stand down for now, I am a big fan of trolling the FS threads just to see whats out there, so let me know if it falls through. We did my friends and kids thanksgiving today and will do the family one on the big day I sure hope everyone else can survive the food comas better than I!!! Enjoy guys!!

[emoji106]🏻
That dude you're talking about is kinda shady!
5 different Thanksgivings?!! Holy crap. I have one to go to and I don't even want to do that!

Back