how to carry a big knife on your belt?

for those of you who have 30+ oz knives, how do you carry them around (other than throwing them in a backpack)?

i'm asking because my 18 inch, 39oz bonecutter is just massive to strap on my belt and i can't imagine having to go on a hike but still have it accessible.

thanks!

If you can attach it to your backpack or in a side pack pocket, that would be my choice. The waist strap on my day pack and backpack interfere with a belt knife, so I usually carry my knives in a pocket or in the pack. I don't often carry my khukri, as a 3/4 bit Hudson Bay ax is more useful in the north, and that fits handily in a backpack. Knives on a belt can be awkward in thick brush or in tight spots, so I usually put whatever knife I have along in an outside pack pocket where it is accessible and still out of the way.

modified shoulder rigs are nice too. They carry the handle about shoulder high with the tip of the blade hitting right around pocket level. Balanced and out of the way:)

for those of you who have 30+ oz knives, how do you carry them around (other than throwing them in a backpack)?...

Here's a solution Red Flower sometimes uses.

BagCarry2.jpg

More tips at the FAQ carry page.

A leg strap can make belt carry MUCH better, and keep your big honkin blade from bouncing around on your leg :thumbup:

I carry large heavy blades like parangs and khukuris strapped to a backpack for activities like climbing or looped over the shoulder if it doesn't need to be strapped down tightly. I usually have a smaller fixed blade on the belt as well which in case a blade is needed in a hurry.

Might be a challenge wearing a khukuri on a belt and remain dignified with my naughty bits dangling after the weight dragged my pants down :)

Last edited:
I use a dangler sheath, to carry a heavier, larger blade. Baldric carry works well for a large blade also. I like a rig that allows you to adjust the height of carry.
These rigs were made by Dwayne at Armoralleather. They allow switching sheaths between attachment and rigs.
Armoralleather2.jpg

I carry large heavy blades like parangs and khukuris strapped to a backpack . . .

This is why I like to have all my sheaths with some sort of MOLLE compatible configuration (along with a pack with PALS webbing). I can quickly and securely attach a knife to my eberlestock pack in a few seconds and remove it whenever I want. Set ups that require straps over the shoulder, etc. would bug me. If I wanted a set up other than my pack, I would look into the various sorts of MOLLE chest rigs/harnesses out there so that I could strap a MOLLE sheath onto my some part of that.

Also, I have a big MOLLE battle belt (I got the us grunt gear one, but there are a lot cheaper options, such as the condor one). With 2+ rows of PALS webbing, these belts allow you to strap some big stuff onto them. I wouldn't doubt if a khukuri in a MOLLE sheath would strap down nicely on one of those. You can add a load bearing harness or suspenders to help with the weight as well.

Back