HOW TO - Clip Pocket Sheath for Slipjoints

I need a pocket sheath for my new GEC #23 Pioneer in Jigged Walnut Bone (2-blade), so I decided to make a larger version of the one pictured below. Here is a step by step how-to on the process. Hope you try one for yourself.

Tools used:
#25 GEC Barlow Jack (Stag)
#54 Harness Jack (Antique Horse Cut bone)
#73 Scout Trapper (Grizzly Cut Bone)
#23 Pioneer Trapper (Jigged Walnut Bone)
Drill Press
1/8" drill bit
Hammer
Scissors
Small awl
Books (for pressing leather)
Heavy weight (for pressing leather)
Steel straight edge
Rivet setting tool kit
Leather stitching awl

Supplies: Purchased at Michael's Arts and Crafts and Lowe's
Leather (enough for four equal size pieces) (Michael's)
Leather glue (Michael's)
Heavyweight waxed thread (Michael's)
Rivets for fabric or leather (Michael's)
Clip from cellphone holster (Lowe's)

I'm going to need a bigger sheath!
Sheath0.jpg

I used the clip from a cellphone holster purchased at Lowe's.
Sheath1.jpg

Cut the clip away from the nylon holster.
Sheath2.jpg

Clamp the clip in a drill press and drill out the existing rivets.
Sheath4.jpg

The clip should look like this.
Sheath5.jpg

Cut ONE of your four pieces of leather to the desired size and shape.
Sheath6.jpg

Cut an opening for the clip in the single piece of leather. Use a sharp knife and a straight edge.
Sheath7.jpg

Insert the clip through the slit.
Sheath8.jpg

Flip the leather over then Use your harness jack or awl to punch two holes through the leather. Use a piece of scrap leather as backing.
Sheath9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's part 2

Fasten the rivets through the holes with a hammer and rivet setting tool kit (available where you buy leather working supplies).
Sheath10.jpg

Apply leather glue to back of the piece of leather with the clip. Apply leather glue to the back of a 2nd piece of leather. Your goal is to sandwich the clip and rivets between two pieces of leather so you don't scratch the knife when you use the sheath. The smooth leather on the inside of the sheath helps the knife slip in and out easier too.
Sheath11.jpg

Put the glued together pieces of leather in a book. Wrap in waxed paper so the glue doesn't stick to the book. Put the book under a heavy table leg until the glue dries.
Sheath12.jpg

Glue TWO additional larger pieces of leather together (back to back). Remember to apply glue to the backside of both pieces of leather.
Sheath13.jpg

Wrap them in waxed paper and press them in a book like the piece with the clip.
Sheath14.jpg

Remove the glued up leather from the books when dry. You should have two pieces that look like this.
Sheath15.jpg

Trim the pieces of leather using the first piece as a template. I used a pair of scissors.
Sheath16.jpg

Pre-punch all of the stitch holes on both pieces of leather. Stack both pieces and punch the holes at the same time so they line up. I used a sculpting tool with a sharp point as a small awl.
Sheath17.jpg

Stitch the halves of the sheath together with a stitching awl and heavyweight waxed thread. Follow the printed directions for the awl (easy to use!).
Sheath18.jpg

Shove a tool handle in the sheath for a few hour to stretch and shape it a bit. I used an old chisel.
Sheath19.jpg

And part 3

Here's the finished sheath next to the older one for my 3" knives.
Sheath20.jpg

Sheath21.jpg

The sheath and knife in the front pocket of my Wrangler denim carpenter shorts.
Sheath22.jpg

The GEC knives I used on this project.
Knives1.jpg

Knives2.jpg

Sorry about all the pictures! Hope you enjoy my post.

Nice work , and a downright convenient way to carry those slippies.

Just an FYI: You can get the clips from Tandy leather as well.

Nice work , and a downright convenient way to carry those slippies.

Just an FYI: You can get the clips from Tandy leather as well.

Thanks for the compliments folks! Very convenient indeed.

I purchased everything locally at Michael's and Lowe's. If i was going to make a bunch, I would certainly buy them in bulk from Tandy Leather. Unfortunately shipping one would cost about the same as the cellphone holster from Lowe's.

Last edited:
Excellent tutorial and a great looking outcome. If you decide to make some more, I have some of the Wm Henry style stainles steel clips and I'd be happy to share with you.

Paul

Very sweet and simple (at least in theory). I love it! Good job to the Mods for making it a sticky!

Glad you guys like the tutorial. After becoming accustomed to pocket clip tacticals, I was going nuts looking for a rugged, simple pocket clip sheath for my slipjoints a couple of years ago. The only thing available was the William Henry Clip Case. The large William Henry sheath is nice, but too small for most of my knives. They also don't hold up to heavy duty use very well. My solution was this simple rugged sheath. I'm no leather working expert, but I think they look pretty good. I deliberately went for a utilitarian work boot look. These sheaths hold up to very heavy duty use and you can custom size them to fit your knives. I've made three different sizes so far. The new sheath(above) makes my huge GEC #23 2-blade Pioneer fit quite nicely in my pocket for EDC.

Any question about the process just ask and I'll do my best to help you out.

I'm not selling these or taking custom orders so please don't ask.

Thanks to Blues for making this a sticky.

Excellent tutorial and a great looking outcome. If you decide to make some more, I have some of the Wm Henry style stainles steel clips and I'd be happy to share with you.

Paul

Just noticed your generous offer. Thanks! :thumbup:
e-mail sent.

Thanks for posting such a great tutorial!

It is tutorials like this one that make people go "Hey, I can do that", and give leather work or sheath making a try.

Great work!

Nick

Thanks for posting this tutorial! I've been thinking about making some pouches like that for a while now and your post is helping with my motivation. BTW They look really good. :thumbup:

Heber

Thanks for posting this tutorial! I've been thinking about making some pouches like that for a while now and your post is helping with my motivation. BTW They look really good. :thumbup:

Heber

My pleasure. Let me know if you have questions or need help.:thumbup:

I will add my Thanks. Been considering one of these for a GEC that I have similiar to yours that is on the way, you have officially inspired me.

Looks great.

My local lowes had those cell phones cases for $2.50 I guess I should have took them all.Nice work I will have to make one of those from my old phone case clip.

Back