1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Important Info! How to deal with SPAM

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bhyde, Apr 13, 2018.

1. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    It's not a secret that the recent rash of SPAM have been nearly non-stop. There have been periods where the mods have not been able to get to it for a variety of reasons.
    The good news is, EVERYONE can help with this!
    One of the things we see when the spam is reported is that the same post has multiple reports. In VBulletin, this didn't matter as all the threads that were reported would automatically be merged for the same posts/threads. In Xenforo, this software, a separate post is created each and every time. The same post can generate a great number of posts that we have to wade through taking a great deal of time.
    So, here's the request;
    If you see the typical spam, post 1 time in the thread of "reported" or something to let everyone know that it's taken care of, and then report the thread.
    If there are multiple posts by the same spammer, report the FIRST in the string of posts if you can and post in that thread.
    If we catch the spam early enough, we have the option of marking the reported post as SPAM and then all content by that spammer is deleted and they are banned automatically.

We will leave this open for questions if need be, but please keep the questions or comments on topic.

2. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I thought this thread was for recipes :(

3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I got some Spam sushi recipes that will knock your socks off!

10-4 @bhyde! Thanks for all that you do!

4. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Not sure how I feel about this. I like clicking on those links and seeing if my virus/malware alarms go off. It's like a thrill on a roller coaster ride but I can do it with a beer in one hand.

5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I usually don't report it because I assume many others have or are already.

And as 91Bravo said ...

Thanks @bhyde and all the Mods for all you do ... I buy you all a steak dinner if it were possible ... we do appreciate the extra time you spend to keep this place running.

6. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    No worries- We have a number of people that spend alot of time reporting the spam and we really appreciate the efforts. Lately, @danbot , @jc57 , @hhmoore , @Dadpool , @madcap_magician and a few others have really been doing a great job with reporting spam.
    Thank you for taking the time!

SV-97, Jnknzz, NJBillK and 8 others like this.
  7. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Spam's for eating not posting.
    [​IMG]

8. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Vomit

KnifeWish and 91bravo like this.
  9. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    No, not vomit! It's actually good stuff when you been on the trail all day!

10. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    a lot of places have taken to banning all IP's from China/Russia/SouthAsia/India/Pakistan
    that seems to cut out about 97% of the spam... or it used to
    these days it wouldn't surprise me to see them using the AWS or EC2 cloud to launch spam

11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    We have plenty of people from Russia and other countries that are legitimate members.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Great idea. I have been reporting them and hadn’t realized if multiple reports were made on the same bot or thread that it would flood the mod’s inbox with reports.

From now on I will report only if I don’t see someone else has and I will not post multiple reports on a single bot on multiple threads that bot has started.

It does seem like the vast majority of it is using Chinese characters though.

13. Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    The spam attacks seem to happen most in the wee hours of the morning (for those of us in the Americas). It's also when I happen to be awake, so I'll do my best to report them.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  14. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I report them then ignore them to clear my page.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    NJBillK and shinyedges like this.
  15. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks @bhyde -

That helps - I was reporting and including all the links and the user name - but now that I know I can just report one post and the mods can kill all the crap by a particular "Spambie" (a spam zombie).

I was a little frustrated because I could only mark one spambie post every 30 seconds, and when they post up 15 at a time it takes too long to mark each one reported.

Keep up the excellent work!

best

mqqn

Odog27 and bhyde like this.
  16. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    so maybe just block all Chinese IP's? :) it's sad but true, that might drop 95% of the spam

I commend all the mods for this annoying job, you do much better than most forums at keeping it clean

17. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    I like fried Spam.

18. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    We have 4 pages of Chinese SPAM on the GKD forum this morning.... ALL of which seems to be posted by user "weilaimeihao025"

So, my idea to block Chinese IP's has proven merit?

19. Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    Salt the earth to get rid of all the weeds in the garden?

No, your idea hasn't proven merit.

Lance Leon, SV-97, Mr.SATism and 4 others like this.
  20. Cereal_killer

Cereal_killer

Apr 4, 2013
    I noticed most of these spam threads are posted one minute after the last, what about increasing the time limiter between posting new threads? This could even be implemented for everyone without effecting legit user experiences as I can't imagine anyone posting separate, new, WORTHWHILE thread less than a few minutes apart.