Important Info! How to deal with SPAM

bhyde

UNNECESSARY EVIL
Staff member
Super Mod
It's not a secret that the recent rash of SPAM have been nearly non-stop. There have been periods where the mods have not been able to get to it for a variety of reasons.
The good news is, EVERYONE can help with this!
One of the things we see when the spam is reported is that the same post has multiple reports. In VBulletin, this didn't matter as all the threads that were reported would automatically be merged for the same posts/threads. In Xenforo, this software, a separate post is created each and every time. The same post can generate a great number of posts that we have to wade through taking a great deal of time.
So, here's the request;
If you see the typical spam, post 1 time in the thread of "reported" or something to let everyone know that it's taken care of, and then report the thread.
If there are multiple posts by the same spammer, report the FIRST in the string of posts if you can and post in that thread.
If we catch the spam early enough, we have the option of marking the reported post as SPAM and then all content by that spammer is deleted and they are banned automatically.

We will leave this open for questions if need be, but please keep the questions or comments on topic.

I usually don't report it because I assume many others have or are already.

And as 91Bravo said ...

Thanks bhyde bhyde and all the Mods for all you do ... I buy you all a steak dinner if it were possible ... we do appreciate the extra time you spend to keep this place running.

I usually don't report it because I assume many others have or are already.

And as 91Bravo said ...

Thanks bhyde bhyde and all the Mods for all you do ... I buy you all a steak dinner if it were possible ... we do appreciate the extra time you spend to keep this place running.

No worries- We have a number of people that spend alot of time reporting the spam and we really appreciate the efforts. Lately, @danbot , @jc57 , @hhmoore , @Dadpool , @madcap_magician and a few others have really been doing a great job with reporting spam.
Thank you for taking the time!

Spam's for eating not posting.
Ec76s0t.jpg

a lot of places have taken to banning all IP's from China/Russia/SouthAsia/India/Pakistan
that seems to cut out about 97% of the spam... or it used to
these days it wouldn't surprise me to see them using the AWS or EC2 cloud to launch spam

a lot of places have taken to banning all IP's from China/Russia/SouthAsia/India/Pakistan
that seems to cut out about 97% of the spam... or it used to
these days it wouldn't surprise me to see them using the AWS or EC2 cloud to launch spam

We have plenty of people from Russia and other countries that are legitimate members.

Great idea. I have been reporting them and hadn’t realized if multiple reports were made on the same bot or thread that it would flood the mod’s inbox with reports.

From now on I will report only if I don’t see someone else has and I will not post multiple reports on a single bot on multiple threads that bot has started.

It does seem like the vast majority of it is using Chinese characters though.

The spam attacks seem to happen most in the wee hours of the morning (for those of us in the Americas). It's also when I happen to be awake, so I'll do my best to report them.

Thanks bhyde bhyde -

That helps - I was reporting and including all the links and the user name - but now that I know I can just report one post and the mods can kill all the crap by a particular "Spambie" (a spam zombie).

I was a little frustrated because I could only mark one spambie post every 30 seconds, and when they post up 15 at a time it takes too long to mark each one reported.

Keep up the excellent work!

best

mqqn

so maybe just block all Chinese IP's? :) it's sad but true, that might drop 95% of the spam

I commend all the mods for this annoying job, you do much better than most forums at keeping it clean

I like fried Spam.
I deal with Spam by frying it.
Sometimes I eat it right out of the can.
Spam is awesome.
I love Spam.
Spam kicks ass.

Last edited:
We have 4 pages of Chinese SPAM on the GKD forum this morning.... ALL of which seems to be posted by user "weilaimeihao025"

So, my idea to block Chinese IP's has proven merit?

I noticed most of these spam threads are posted one minute after the last, what about increasing the time limiter between posting new threads? This could even be implemented for everyone without effecting legit user experiences as I can't imagine anyone posting separate, new, WORTHWHILE thread less than a few minutes apart.

Back