Important Info! How to deal with SPAM

Honestly friend, the Mods here smash spammers day in and day out and have been FOR YEARS. One report is all it takes. I moderate on another forum and when you see the admin area there after a spammer has posted there is no missing it. Doing anything else is a waste of our time and frankly annoying to the guy that take care of this. Look around....just how many spam threads or posts are you actually seeing ?? The majority of the spammers are detected at registration....just go glance at the banned members list to understand.

Ok! I won't. I just figured you would get the report faster via profile message.

Why would you think that when the first post in the thread, called How to Deal with SPAM, includes explicit instructions on how the mod staff wants us to deal with SPAM, which contain nothing about what you proposed?

Many have suggested repeatedly that you read and learn how the site works.

Honestly friend, the Mods here smash spammers day in and day out and have been FOR YEARS. One report is all it takes. I moderate on another forum and when you see the admin area there after a spammer has posted there is no missing it. Doing anything else is a waste of our time and frankly annoying to the guy that take care of this. Look around....just how many spam threads or posts are you actually seeing ?? The majority of the spammers are detected at registration....just go glance at the banned members list to understand.
were is the banned list at?

were is the banned list at?

Why? Why? Why?

The mods got this SPAM taken care of up and down. We all know that. The mods told you that in the first post.

But you don't care.

And I will now tell you this one last time.

You are looking like BF spammy troll #1. Not an insult. Just a reality that you don't seem to get.

You are the one the mods are watching.

Spam's for eating not posting.
Ec76s0t.jpg
Good price

I believe access to that is "Paid Members Only"

I'm not a paid member (yet) as I just recently found this site, and I have access to the Banned Members list - just click the arrow to the right of the "Members" box in the navigation bar. If you click on the name "Members", it's just a list and not broken down by type (as far as I can tell, again, I'm new here).

If I see that I'll visit here often I'll pay for a membership, but I can't afford another expensive hobby as I'm a pensioner and have to watch my spending carefully.

Deep packet-inspection gets rid of bots while allowing legitimate traffic. You could look into a watchguard on the used market. Usually around $250 for a nice fast one with 2-3 years of basic security service. I've used them. They're fantastic, depending on how much traffic you have. The cheaper watchguards will work with a few thousand connection and do deep packet-inspection. Or there are online traffic filters, for a fee.

It's not a secret that the recent rash of SPAM have been nearly non-stop. There have been periods where the mods have not been able to get to it for a variety of reasons.
The good news is, EVERYONE can help with this!
One of the things we see when the spam is reported is that the same post has multiple reports. In VBulletin, this didn't matter as all the threads that were reported would automatically be merged for the same posts/threads. In Xenforo, this software, a separate post is created each and every time. The same post can generate a great number of posts that we have to wade through taking a great deal of time.
So, here's the request;
If you see the typical spam, post 1 time in the thread of "reported" or something to let everyone know that it's taken care of, and then report the thread.
If there are multiple posts by the same spammer, report the FIRST in the string of posts if you can and post in that thread.
If we catch the spam early enough, we have the option of marking the reported post as SPAM and then all content by that spammer is deleted and they are banned automatically.

We will leave this open for questions if need be, but please keep the questions or comments on topic.
A number of places have started blocking all IPs from China, Russia, South Asia, India, and Pakistan, which tends to eliminate 97% of the spam—or it did until recently. These days, it wouldn't surprise me if they started launching spam from the AWS or EC2 cloud.

Back