How to Fight a Bear

There was a similar case in PA early this year IIRC. If you're not a boxer you might carry a real whistle -- the Storm with 130 decibles , the loudest on the market !! Or the Kabar defensive cane , or a 44mag !!

27659703621_80345b6a36_k.jpg

Meh, like the guy said they generally aren't dangerous. It's just a risk you take when you step into their world. Personally I worry more about mistakenly stepping on a timber rattler in my area than the bear. The latter is more easily spotted.

We do what we have to with black bears if necessity happens. A whistle is a very good thing to have with you hiking for signaling if you are hurt and can't really get out of the woods on your own.

Nice black bear shot Hacked. I also concern myself more with rattlesnakes and copperheads in the woods. Copperheads often do not move out of your way and can bite you if you step too close. I have seen many rattlesnakes in the woods and other than paying attention where I step, I don't worry about them much. I don't kill them.

Make noise as one walks up the trails where bears are known to be around, doing so lets them know that you are around and lessens startling them. Making noise lets wildlife know that you are higher up the food chain then they are. If you do meet up with a bear, make louder noises and appear bigger, just don't let them know that you fear them, they will sense this and turn on you. If need be charge at the bear if the bear starts stalking you. Grabbing a large stick will help make yourself appear larger, and can be used to fend off the animal.

"Nelson, who the Guardian says is a former featherweight boxer and bear hunter, combined both skill sets to anticipate the bear's next move." "I knew it would swing first with its left, but it would really come with its right, because most bears are right-handed." LOL! What a simple extrapolation of the individual experience.

"As Nelson held his breath, the bloodied mother bear decided to follow her baby instead of bringing Nelson back to the mat." Double LOL! Apparently this 61 year old featherweight bloodied up a mama bear protecting its cub in the wild from one punch to its...teeth, and one more punch to its nose. AAAHHhahaha, I'd love to see how this guy (after taking his calcium supplement and afternoon nap, of course) would viciously dominate an enraged, domesticated pit bull terrier, let alone the aforementioned beast of 6x proportions with razor claws defending its yelping young. Speaking of terriers, where was the guy's dog in this fight?

I find the the grannie story swinging her binoculars at the grizzly's nose to be more entertaining, and believable. Stories are hilarious and they get more twisted as time goes on, just like the mind! :D Perhaps this is just a prelude to Rocky VIII, wherein they'll have to find a left-handed bear to keep things interesting for the 70 year old southpaw Lazy Eye Sly; or maybe even a big return for Anthony Hopkins in The Edge II: Reborn.

What's the saying around here? Something like 'No pics it didn't happen'. :)

I worry more about deer ticks and lyme disease more than I do bears, rattlers or copperheads.

I've seen 350lb. bears treed by a 50 pound yapping dog.
I've seen two 8+ point bucks who were squaring off get scared away by a Siamese cat.
A boxer getting in a lucky shot and having the bear lose interest since its cub was walking away is not really that farfetched.
Had the cub stayed or not been there at all, the guy probably would have become oatmeal.

More people die of lightning strikes). than are harmed (wounded or killed) by bears You don't give a hoot about the lighting "risk" so why give a hoot about the "bear risk"? I carry the same 9mm in "bear country" as I EDC, cause men and dogs are many, many times more likely to attack you and the men, at least, are far more dangerous than any bear. A 9mm to the brain will suffice to stop a bear and a 12 ga slug or 3006 softpoint chest hit has failed to stop many a 100 lb deer. So there's zero reason to "think" that such a chest hit would stop an attacking bear. It might, but there's no reason to favor it by much. If you're really worried about it, carry a 308 auto rifle, practice hitting moving 6" brain circles. If you're not worried about it enough to carry such a rifle, then there's no reason to carry more than a "mere" CCW pistol, either. So the .454, .460, .44 mag pistols are just a waste of time and money

According to the Kiwi Bushman (Josh James) from the new Dual Survival season, you "kick your mate in the balls as hard as you can and run like hell".

More people die of lightning strikes). than are harmed (wounded or killed) by bears You don't give a hoot about the lighting "risk" so why give a hoot about the "bear risk"? I carry the same 9mm in "bear country" as I EDC, cause men and dogs are many, many times more likely to attack you and the men, at least, are far more dangerous than any bear. A 9mm to the brain will suffice to stop a bear and a 12 ga slug or 3006 softpoint chest hit has failed to stop many a 100 lb deer. So there's zero reason to "think" that such a chest hit would stop an attacking bear. It might, but there's no reason to favor it by much. If you're really worried about it, carry a 308 auto rifle, practice hitting moving 6" brain circles. If you're not worried about it enough to carry such a rifle, then there's no reason to carry more than a "mere" CCW pistol, either. So the .454, .460, .44 mag pistols are just a waste of time and money

I do give a "hoot" about lightning risks. A lightning storm with impacts within a 100 yds of you is very disturbing.
I give less a "hoot" about bear risks, especially black bears that I more commonly see in the woods. I would love to see you hit a moving or charging bear (black or otherwise) in the brain with a 9mm pistol. I pretty much say this is BS. But the truth of the matter is that you don't need anything usually for protection in the woods.

^ edit i also belive any brain shot on a moving bear with a 9mm isnt impossble but i damn sure would bet against it every time it's not impossible but highly improbable.

ok so beings I grew up here hunting I offer this .

Bear skulls are crazy thick , to hit one would more then likely
Just pissed it off . As I believe it would just graze off due to the shape of the skull (I E they don't have a big flat shoot me between the eyes for head that we do)

Bears have slow heart rate so counting on it bleeding out will not work (read bear tales)

Most hunters up here depend on crippling shots that way it can't attack you while it's bleeding out (or at least has a harder time).

I very much DO belive in have protection in the woods even though most are perfectly right in saying they will mostly avoid you so long as your presences is heard.

Um yea, but where we used to go hunting about 57 miles deep in the way out back , on four wheeler takes all day to get there.

And back there the bears are the top of the chain and fear nada.
If anything they have learned humans mean food .
Which isn't good .

We have seen guys driving there wheelers out with ripped chewed up four wheeler seats because the guy accidentally spilled some bear bait juice on it :).

It is also very true that inside of 30 yards you get Mabey MABEY time for one shot . That is if your even ready.
You wouldn't believe how fast they are.
My buddy got charged from the bear he was hunting he said it moved so quick it he cold barley even look at it through his scope. . He is lucky he got it with the second shot but he also had a standby shooter

Long stories short I've told my woman even though I'm apretty decent of a shot and not too slow I'd still probably will miss .

In my mind, it's best to get on your back in a mma guard postion and try to shoot up at the bear in his shoulder (to break his arms) chest region.

If your real lucky Mabey you can stick your gun in its mouth and let LOOSE ;)

This goes everywhere in the woods with me and my family, in bear country it sleeps with me :)
20160619_214639_zps2odqydwv.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I may be the only one who thinks this, but my number one concern when out in the woods hiking is people. They're the worst. And now you see people "being one with nature", that is, doing hardcore drugs, just out in the open. I'm more afraid one of these people are going to want to do harm to me more than any other animal out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh yes the rare woodland crack head or heroin junkie :)
All the more reason to carry.
Hopefully you don't mean people smoking pot as doing a "hardcore drug"
I've never seen a crack head or meth addict being one with nature .

More like huddled in a crap car on the side of the road in the woods lmao.

But then again it's a little harder for transients to hang out with nature when it's either freezing out or sunlight all day ;) Although they are still around and a number of them freeze to death every year .

Just like when Homer Simpson said "that cold snap must have killed all the bums"

Also most crack heads are like bears , in that they will usually run away if they hear you coming (paranoia ).
But also can charge you if you threaten their precious (in golem voice).

44 mag works for ALL. Northamerican game 2 or 4 legged and no matter what the opinions are it's always better to have and not need ,than need and not have .
Just my 2

Like your 44 mag. Thought about getting one in 41 mag, but decided against it as I have a 4" M57 Mountain Gun. Nothing wrong with carrying a firearm in the woods. Not a thing. I do it. In AK, I certainly would pay a bit more attention to bears simply because they are often larger than your average bear in the lower 48 and you often are more alone and medical care or help may be further. There are obviously exceptions like an 600-800 lb black bear in PA.

The Mountain Bike thread going on now.... you do get the I don't carry a gun biking and the guy in MT NP near Glacier NP didn't and he is very experienced in the woods. Stuff happens.

I do give a "hoot" about lightning risks. A lightning storm with impacts within a 100 yds of you is very disturbing.
I give less a "hoot" about bear risks, especially black bears that I more commonly see in the woods. I would love to see you hit a moving or charging bear (black or otherwise) in the brain with a 9mm pistol. I pretty much say this is BS. But the truth of the matter is that you don't need anything usually for protection in the woods.

A 9mm isn't going to make it through the skull even if you did hit it. Especially if you're using a hollow point.

Humans, dogs, lightning , injury and heart attack. That's about all I worry about.

44 mag works for ALL. Northamerican game 2 or 4 legged and no matter what the opinions are it's always better to have and not need ,than need and not have .
Just my 2
I agree with most of what you've said but I've found carrying a gun to be more of a burden then anything.

I like how you say not to listen to opinions and then state an opinion. :D

Back