How to get the handle off a Paul Chen Banshee?

Well I have a PC Banshee which is a very fun little "user" however the handle is leaving a little to be desired, I am thinking of doing a rehandle for comfort and grip retention sake.

This brings up the question is it possible to remove the handle with out destroying it ? If so how?

Stage 1 knocking out the two retention pins

Stage 2 ??????

Stage 3 ????? etc

Is the end cap threaded?

How much glue is in between tang and handle, if any?

Do I just clamp the blade in the vise and thump it off once the pins are out?

You get the idea

Thanks

A

Howdy
The Banshee that I bought a few years ago definitely needed a reprofile on the handle as well. The pins came out quite easily with a small flat tipped punch. The pommel is peened on, so you will have to grind off the peened part with a dremel type tool. The handle was lightly glued in place and was destroyed during removal. I took 2 pieces of maple, inletted an area for the tang and the locking mechanism, dry fitted everything to see if everything fit and functioned properly, then epoxied everything in place. I then installed the pins and wrapped the handle with parachute cord that had the inner strands removed. The pommel was also peened back on as well. I don't have a digital camera, so sorry no pix. The entire project took just a couple of days of tinkering around.
All said, I just can't believe the difference in the handling of this blade. It now indexes extremely well, the grip is very secure, and now my banshee rides on the side of my pack when I am out in the mountains. It works better than just about any brushcutter that I have ever used. I have cut 1-2 inch thick willows with very little effort. Excellent bush sword! (Well I guess that it should be because the Dha , (which it is based on) is primarily a bush tool anyway. Have fun with your project. Kelly:thumbup:

Thanks for the response Kelly,

You have pretty much answered all my questions that I needed before I proceed, no worries aboot no pics,

I just did not want to destroy the handle if it could be avoided but if not no biggy the banshee was cheap.

Now I am curious as to what shape you made your handle, I am leaning towards something about the shape of a hockey stick handle in cross section with more rounded corners, and re-wapping in leather or road bike bar wrap, maybe a small brass or stainless guard up front and a smaller brass/stainless "pinky catcher " pommel at the rear with threading on the tang to a loctited nut.

I don't like the round profile, to easy to twist, and the handle flare on the dangerous end is to severe.

Any suggestions appreciated as to shape, guard styles

A

IYou are pretty close on the handle shape that I went with. A flattened oval shape, with an indentation/two finger finger groove coming up to the front of the handle just before the steel ferrule/locking mechanism. This shape worked very well on mine. I didn't change the pommel, but that might be an idea for a future project. Kelly

Back