how to humble a proud tang?

Coldsteel....thank you, sir! I'll check out those links. Warren, thanks for the suggestion. I had to look up what a "live center" is. I knew what it was, just didn't know it's name! First I thought, "I'm not trying to turn wood here, Warren!" But then it donned on me (you even said it!).....use the live center pressed against the drum sander (spindle)....that way the lateral movement is negated. Damn fine idea. Thanks for all the help. I think I can move forward from here and fix the issue. Much appreciated, fellow knife makers!

No problem Suart :) Now I'm curious about using a live center. How would this stop the lateral force.. Would you just have the point of it pressed up tightly against the center of the bottom of the sanding drum?? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm not quite following that idea :eek: Also if it's used the way I mentioned, you would have to hold the blade freehand without being able to use a work rest correct? Just trying ta get a mental image here, thanks :D

~Paul

My YT Channel Lsubslimed

Its basically like this:

Woodstock-Lathe-Drill-Press-Attachment.jpg

I wouldn't do anything too heavy duty like this, but for light jobs it works in a pinch. Instead of the wood, you would use the sanding drum where the wood is.

You could always use some riser blocks to make a table too. It doesn't eliminate the side load, but its much reduced this way.

Warren

I have had this problem as well, and since it wasn't mentioned back then, and could be useful to someone still dealing with this issue, I'll add that a Ken Onion Edition WorkSharp with the Blade Grinding Attachment works fairly well for this also, given the small diameter of the wheel, and the ability to progress from very coarse to very fine grits.

Back