How to loosen up a Leatherman's joints?

Terry M.

Platinum Member
I'm guessing this is the right forum for this question.....

I got a new Leatherman Wave this past weekend. It's really stiff at the joints / pivot points. I put some Miltec on them but didn't seem to help. I see there is a star shape opening that I might be able to loosen the pivot points but the normal "screwdriver" I use on my knives won't work on this because it looks like the driver bit needs to not only be star shape but also hollow. There's a small center piece in the middle of the star shape.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks.

Those star-shaped screw heads (torx) are 'tamper-proof' (also called 'security torx'). Bits are available for those, with the hollow shanks to fit, if you search for them.

David

Those star-shaped screw heads (torx) are 'tamper-proof' (also called 'security torx'). Bits are available for those, with the hollow shanks to fit, if you search for them.

David

Yep. You can get crappy quality ones at harbor freight. They are cheap and probably good enough for that job. I use a better set on the tamper proof hardware that's on my motorcycles electronics.

You just have to use it man,,It will break in a bit,,,its not going to flip like a butterfly,,I did have a PST II that was pretty smooth...

You just have to use it man,,It will break in a bit,,,its not going to flip like a butterfly,,I did have a PST II that was pretty smooth...

this! i've had several leathermans these past couple of years and all felt really tight when new. after a couple of days of use it feels just right.

Watch ESPN every night for the next 6 months, and while you are sitting there, manipulate the Leatherman over and over and over.

At the end of the 6 months, you won't notice any difference in the Leatherman, but you'll at least have gotten in some good ESPN time.

Watch ESPN every night for the next 6 months, and while you are sitting there, manipulate the Leatherman over and over and over.

At the end of the 6 months, you won't notice any difference in the Leatherman, but you'll at least have gotten in some good ESPN time.

LOL! Now that's funny!

Thanks for the replies. I've had multi tools before including Leathermans and this one is just really stiff. I'll look into the security torx to loosen it up a tad.

LOL! Now that's funny!

Thanks for the replies. I've had multi tools before including Leathermans and this one is just really stiff. I'll look into the security torx to loosen it up a tad.

If those joints are like other knives, they might be factory loctited (with the 'tamper-proof' screws, I'd fully expect it). Proceed with caution; don't over-torque the screws, else they may get stripped. Might even be worth contacting Leatherman to see if they can adjust it for you, while the warranty still applies.

David

If those joints are like other knives, they might be factory loctited (with the 'tamper-proof' screws, I'd fully expect it). Proceed with caution; don't over-torque the screws, else they may get stripped. Might even be worth contacting Leatherman to see if they can adjust it for you, while the warranty still applies.

David

This is VERY good advice. Those things are sealed with JB weld it seems like...I bought two high quality torx bits and put one in each side with screwdrivers and twisted as harrrrd as I could, because I wanted to take it apart and clean it. It was my practice sharpening blade and some slurry got caught in it and locked it up. I tried as hard as I could and couldn't break the pivot free. I don't know how they would do it at leatherman...but they have to have a way.

You can actually rotate both ends of the pivot if the blades get tight. If you want to loosen up the pliers just wash them with water, dry it VERY well with a towel, then let it air dry while all the tools are open. After that you still have water in the crevices...so grab a tissue and open and close all the tools multiple times, and each time clean off the water that it picks up from it's cavity. Once you're positive it's dry and clean add some simple lube, like mineral oil. It'll loosen up the pliers.

Or just be patient...the others are right, they will break in. They won't be like a butterfly knife (because that's dangerous and renders your tool useless) but they'll be easier to open.

Mine broke in after a while, I can now open with one hand, though mine is a Leather PST. I would just open and close it for a while, sit in front of the tv and just open and close it.

I worked on mine like that on road trips, (I could open and close with one hand without thinking about it, looking back, it was probably a bad idea.....)

my PST didn't have the tamper proof screws, but I didn't take it apart or loosen them. It just smoothed out eventually

Back