How To How to: post pictures using Imgur (comprehensive)

KingMC

The Pun-isher
Since Photobucket has started screwing over their users with cost increases and 3rd-party blocking, I figure a few folks are gonna be switching to other image-hosting sites, the best of which is Imgur. Still free, still easy-to-use, here's a beginner's guide to uploading and sharing images using Imgur.

These steps work identically whether you are logged in or not, it's just that being logged in saves your images to your account too.

(MOBILE HOW-TO HERE)

Simple Upload-to-share:

Step 1: go to Imgur.com, and then click on the 'new post' button.

imgur1.PNG

Step 2: Choose a method of selecting the photos you want to upload: 'browse' lets you pick photos from your folders/desktop/etc., dragging images to the window is faster overall but needs the browser window to be less than full size; both work fine.
imgur2.PNG

If dragging, click and hold the image(s) you want and drag them into the browser window (this is what you see), then let go.
imgur3.PNG

If 'browse' is chosen, you'll get a window like so that you can then select the image(s) from, then click 'open' once you select the image(s) you want.

imgur4.PNG

Step 3: Imgur automatically uploads the image(s) you chose, and gives you a few options with what to do with them: share them publicly to Imgur's public social gallery, or just find the links to share elsewhere. To find the links, just move your mouse over the image and a link and arrow show up. THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT LINK TO USE, what you need to do is move your mouse over the arrow to get a menu with 3 options and then click the 'get share links' option.

imgur5.PNG

Step 4: You want to select the 'BBCode (Forums)' link, you do this by clicking the blue 'copy' button next to the link showing underneath the BBCode title.

imgur6.PNG

Step 5: Go to your thread and click in the text box, then paste the link you copied into the text box. When you create your thread or post your reply the image will show up there in full.

imgur7.PNG

Sharing previously-uploaded images:

Step 1: log into your account from the main page, then move your mouse over the link to your account in the top right corner to get the menu of options, then select 'images'.

advanced1.PNG

Step 2: Click on the image(s) you want from the list of all your saved images, to open up this window (below). There are 2 link options that work on the forum:

#1: 'BBCode' is used exactly as seen in the basic upload How-To earlier in this thread (copy the link, paste it directly into the text box of your post).

#2: 'Direct Link' is just the image link without any BBCode around it, to use it you go to the reply box, click the 'image' button above the box (looks like this: advanced3.PNG ) and then paste the direct link into the text field supplied. This will insert the BBCode tags around the link for you.

advanced2.PNG

#3 shows all the size options the link can possess, the original is almost always huge, the large thumbnail is the most forum-friendly size with it being large on-screen but smaller than the original. Just click on the preferred size option, then copy one of the two links supplied.

Last edited:
Mobile (Imgur app):

Go to the Imgur app, and click on the plus icon in the top right for uploading, same spot from the home page and from your profile page.

C24B39D6-72E5-4283-83E6-BCBE572BA3BA.jpeg F2A340B5-1A83-40D4-8F5D-26CFB2A950B8.jpeg

Once there, you can select any of the image(s) from your phone/tablet's pictures to upload.

6EAB161F-922D-406C-9668-8ED7F6333C2D.jpeg

Once you have chosen your image(s), you have to change the public setting from 'public' to 'only me' before you upload or else it'll automatically upload the picture to the public gallery on Imgur.

Once you have changed that it'll allow you to upload without a title, just click the 'upload' button to finish it.

3802CCAB-3461-4AC1-9C94-45778F46EE4A.jpeg

To get the link of the photo immediately after uploading it, close what pops up first, then just tap on the little button under the image so this menu comes up again, then select 'copy link' to get the direct link to the image.

FD7A1C44-6D16-4598-967B-8C45E5BEC57C.jpeg 5D67E71C-0D7A-4CFB-B282-469A0EEDFF8F.jpeg

To share it you have to use the image button above the text field
(looks like this: advanced3.PNG )
so it can add the BBCode around the link for you, as on mobile you don't get the option to copy the a BBCode-friendly link.

Last edited:
Based on Imgur's terms of service, it might not be the best choice.

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

Which is kinda weird since they provide the share links. But I'm not gonna chance it.

Based on Imgur's terms of service, it might not be the best choice.

Which is kinda weird since they provide the share links. But I'm not gonna chance it.

I've always taken that to be for businesses rather than personal galleries. They are an image-hosting website, it would make no sense to ban individuals who host images on their site when they make it so easy to do so.

Just tried getting links on my phone by holding on a pic...didn't give me the menu with "copy link". Only options are save image and share.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to go back and replace photobucket images in some bf posts.

Thanks,

Tad

Just tried getting links on my phone by holding on a pic...didn't give me the menu with "copy link". Only options are save image and share.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to go back and replace photobucket images in some bf posts.

Thanks,

Tad

What kind of phone are you using? Iphone or Android? Are you using imgur.com through a browser or are you using the Imgur App dowloading from the app store?

I've always taken that to be for businesses rather than personal galleries. They are an image-hosting website, it would make no sense to ban individuals who host images on their site when they make it so easy to do so.

Which is exactly how I would have described Photobucket up until a week ago :( PB provided the links to easily embed pics as well...until they decided not to allow it anymore.

I'm not going to spend "who knows how many" hours uploading and updating links only to get shut down again when they decide to uphold their ToS after the flood of PB refugees starts hogging the bandwidth.

~Chip

Which is exactly how I would have described Photobucket up until a week ago :( PB provided the links to easily embed pics as well...until they decided not to allow it anymore.

I'm not going to spend "who knows how many" hours uploading and updating links only to get shut down again when they decide to uphold their ToS after the flood of PB refugees starts hogging the bandwidth.

~Chip

Photobucket didn't ban users for uploading pictures, though, they just added a paywall hoping for a greater profit; completely different scenarios.

Upload using Safari (no app)

Step 1: click the upload button, top right.

IMG_4858.jpg

Step 2: Choose 'upload from device', then select the image(s) from your phone that you want to upload.

IMG_4859.jpg

Once you have your image(s) selected, it will show the image name and count. Then you can click 'Upload'.

IMG_4860.jpg

You will then get this screen, to get the options for your image links, you need to first click on the 'Link' pull-down menu.

IMG_4861.jpg

Then, you need to select the type of links, either the 'Direct Link' or 'BBCode' will work best with the separate methods to post them as detailed in the desktop sharing method earlier in the thread. Once you picked your link type, you tap 'done'.

IMG_4862.jpg

You then need to tap twice in the text field with the link to get a cursor to show up, you will then get the option to 'select all' which you should click to copy the entire link text.

IMG_4863.jpg

You then will have the selected link and another set of options show up, tap the 'copy' to copy the link, then paste it in the reply box (or use the image button as detailed earlier in the thread if you get the direct link).

IMG_4864.jpg

Last edited:
Photobucket didn't ban users for uploading pictures, though, they just added a paywall hoping for a greater profit; completely different scenarios.

You're correct, which means that if Imgur decides you have violated the ToS not only will your embedded pics be broken if you're banned but you would also lose access to your account/pics (which didn't happen with PB). Also, and more importantly...they could block ALL links to Bladeforums if they deem the traffic excessive.

I'm still hoping PB will come around and offer a reasonable rate for 3rd party linking (which seems possible according to 300bucks post in the Buck forum). Barring that, I'm looking at Flikr paid options or hopefully getting my Google pics to work.

Just my thoughts on the matter, take it as you will.

~Chip

It just saves it in my photo gallery in the phone.

Ok. Honestly I've never seen the Android Imgur app get used as I have an iPhone and their app is older and seems pretty polished, I figured the Android app would work similarly.

The link you get when you 'share' to a text, is it a link that starts with 'i.imgur.com/...'? I know it's more work but if it is a direct link you should be able to use it with just that extra step of having to retrieve it from a message instead of directly from the app...

Ok. Honestly I've never seen the Android Imgur app get used as I have an iPhone and their app is older and seems pretty polished, I figured the Android app would work similarly.

The link you get when you 'share' to a text, is it a link that starts with 'i.imgur.com/...'? I know it's more work but if it is a direct link you should be able to use it with just that extra step of having to retrieve it from a message instead of directly from the app...

Thanks. I'll keep playing with it.

Tad

Must be a better app for us samsung/android/noniphone users.

I remember trying imgur a while back when I got sick of pb and it was a disaster. Just trying again and I can see the same issues as last time.

Back