Recommendation? How to select knife grind?

I am making my first outdoor knives right now, but will try making kitchen knives soon. First thing is to learn about how to grind, I think.

Please post links to youtube, this forum and other places I can learn from.

I am in the fortunate situation I am a toolmaker with access to CNC, grinders etc. as well as steel like Vanadis 4 and Vanax. I "just" need to knoe how I have to make the knives (which is just like 99 percent:D).

When I ask that same question I get this answer.........grind everything from steel that not look like knife :)

Natlek said it best ;). Part of the process of making knives is a bit of trial and error. If you follow this, your own personality will undoubtedly reveal in your work and you'll find the answer to this question within yourself. This is like asking what steel is better, a or b? What works for bladesmith a, doesn't always work for bladesmith b. Luckily there are thousands of years of collective experience of trial and error that we can use to our advantage now, in learning shortcuts from most shortcomings of those who came before us. However, if it were that simple, everyone would make their own knives :p. Multiple factors go into what grind would work best using what steel at what thickness with what hardness and for what application, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah :confused:. Information is still being passed back and forth about steels like 1095, o1, a2, etc. regarding different HT, grinds, angles, uses, etc. to this day.. In the age of god-like super steels currently being used and explored for cutlery tools. That should say something. Formulate a rough idea from your own experience with similar knives that you're looking to make and find makers you like and respect and observe their work to get a heartbeat on what works and what doesn't before diving headfirst into an empty pool with such high-end material at your behest is my .02. The best experience is your own experience. Craft some test blades, test them yourself, loan them to people who put work into the knives in that particular application and the results will be there in spades. Best to learn what works on a "cheap" steel, than to use steels like V4E and Vanax for trial-runs IMO; unless you're a boss and can nail a precise HT consistently with those steels. I envy the tools at your fingertips :cool:

Natlek said it best ;). Part of the process of making knives is a bit of trial and error. If you follow this, your own personality will undoubtedly reveal in your work and you'll find the answer to this question within yourself. This is like asking what steel is better, a or b? What works for bladesmith a, doesn't always work for bladesmith b. Luckily there are thousands of years of collective experience of trial and error that we can use to our advantage now, in learning shortcuts from most shortcomings of those who came before us. However, if it were that simple, everyone would make their own knives :p. Multiple factors go into what grind would work best using what steel at what thickness with what hardness and for what application, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah :confused:. Information is still being passed back and forth about steels like 1095, o1, a2, etc. regarding different HT, grinds, angles, uses, etc. to this day.. In the age of god-like super steels currently being used and explored for cutlery tools. That should say something. Formulate a rough idea from your own experience with similar knives that you're looking to make and find makers you like and respect and observe their work to get a heartbeat on what works and what doesn't before diving headfirst into an empty pool with such high-end material at your behest is my .02. The best experience is your own experience. Craft some test blades, test them yourself, loan them to people who put work into the knives in that particular application and the results will be there in spades. Best to learn what works on a "cheap" steel, than to use steels like V4E and Vanax for trial-runs IMO; unless you're a boss and can nail a precise HT consistently with those steels. I envy the tools at your fingertips :cool:

That's true, it's a process. I have been making guitar picks, and that too is a process to learn. https://www.instagram.com/morgan__picks/
Knives are the same, I believe. There are lots of unknown stuff to learn, lots of variations that makes it good or bad.

My way of making stuff has advantages and disadvantages. The obvious advantage is, it's possible to make excatly what I have been drawing on the computer. The disadvantage is, it's not work in progress, it's make it and see if it works.

That's why I'd like to be fairly sure I am doing things right the first time. Maybe not perfect, but pretty decent at least. Heat treat is no problem, as I am handing it over to professionals, I am not going to mess around with that. Working with steels like that would make it a petty to ruin them with bad HT.

I just made my first knife, and am looking forward to get it done. Then we'll see how it goes. Next thing is the kitchen knives, and I will probably start by making a copy of a knife I have, to get at good and useful shape.

I'd like to look at it as there are advantages that you have over other makers (for any reason) and disadvantages that you have that other makers possess. When it comes down to it, experience is the only factor you can't take away from anyone and is the most tedious skill to acquire. Experience will tell you what works for your specific set-up and methods vs. what anyone can tell you from their rig. Everything is a work in progress, or there wouldn't be any need to push forward ;). Always have ideas and ways to improve an idea from your perspective.

A good bet for a kitchen knife is to find a style you'd like to see/use (German/French/Japanese/other profile) and you can adjust any design with slight tweaks. Typically, keep the stock thickness ~2.5mm or less and give it a distal taper down to the edge if you're going the route of traditional Chef knives. I'm sure V4E can handle wicked thin edges, though do keep in mind the entire spectrum of usage that the blade might face throughout its lifespan. Is it a "camp kitchen" knife that will be toted around and used with your other outdoor knives, or will it only see use within a conventional setting at home; in a pro kitchen? There are just too many recommendations that can be had to tell you exactly what you should do and how you should do it. I'm sure the Custom/Handmade threads here can offer a bit more inspiration with actual finished designs that are of a different ilk than your run-of-the-mill name brand product.

Looks like you have a solid idea on your IG there for an outdoor friendly camp prep utility style knife from the overall design. I would probably suggest leaving the saber-ground section out of the final design, as that would be more in line with a harder use knife. Maximum cutting performance through less abrasive mediums is the usual intent with your kitchen wares. Handles are always a personal thing, but I pick up a camp vibe from the overall design. Looks like a solid place to start :thumbsup:. Always keep an open mind to refinement within a design and remember to enjoy the journey :cool:. Would like to see how it turns out when you have a finished product!

I'd like to look at it as there are advantages that you have over other makers (for any reason) and disadvantages that you have that other makers possess. When it comes down to it, experience is the only factor you can't take away from anyone and is the most tedious skill to acquire. Experience will tell you what works for your specific set-up and methods vs. what anyone can tell you from their rig. Everything is a work in progress, or there wouldn't be any need to push forward ;). Always have ideas and ways to improve an idea from your perspective.

A good bet for a kitchen knife is to find a style you'd like to see/use (German/French/Japanese/other profile) and you can adjust any design with slight tweaks. Typically, keep the stock thickness ~2.5mm or less and give it a distal taper down to the edge if you're going the route of traditional Chef knives. I'm sure V4E can handle wicked thin edges, though do keep in mind the entire spectrum of usage that the blade might face throughout its lifespan. Is it a "camp kitchen" knife that will be toted around and used with your other outdoor knives, or will it only see use within a conventional setting at home; in a pro kitchen? There are just too many recommendations that can be had to tell you exactly what you should do and how you should do it. I'm sure the Custom/Handmade threads here can offer a bit more inspiration with actual finished designs that are of a different ilk than your run-of-the-mill name brand product.

Looks like you have a solid idea on your IG there for an outdoor friendly camp prep utility style knife from the overall design. I would probably suggest leaving the saber-ground section out of the final design, as that would be more in line with a harder use knife. Maximum cutting performance through less abrasive mediums is the usual intent with your kitchen wares. Handles are always a personal thing, but I pick up a camp vibe from the overall design. Looks like a solid place to start :thumbsup:. Always keep an open mind to refinement within a design and remember to enjoy the journey :cool:. Would like to see how it turns out when you have a finished product!

I have advantages, as I got the machines, and know how to use them. What I lack, is experience in making knives, which I why I am sort of humble to the world of making knives. There is more than just meets the eye, I have a lot of things I don't know about.

I am really looking forward to finish this off with a handle in micarta or wood, I like how it turned out. Still need to adjust the scales a bit, but it's not too bad. And then it's time for a kitchen knife, hopefully in vanax, it's such a cool material.. And actually easy to work with, even at 60 HRC. It's not difficult to mill in hardnesses up to 63-65 HRC. I may look into just making the overall shape, and then harden.

This is my Vanadis 4e knife with 3D prited scales https://www.instagram.com/p/BvyzKgqn-eS/

Back