1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How to test knives?

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by Gideons, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
  2. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    A huntingknife ? Dress out, skin, and butcher a deer .That tells you a lot about blade and handle shape , balance , weight.To check wear of the blade do more than one deer.
    A folder ? carry it for six months or more use it for everything you need .
    I think that's the only way to test .

3. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Your attachment doesn't work. Don't know what is wrong on your end. I clearly have hundreds of pages. I've been reading most of the threads there for years. Far more than a couple pages. Perhaps hit your computer with the spin of your knife. :D

4. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Check my post I updated it. The image now works.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Like I said, don't know what is wrong on your end. Censorship by the Canadian Government :eek:

6. Gideons

Gideons

Dec 9, 2015
    Clearly this site just hates me.

7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Go to the bottom of the page and click show threads from the beginning.

8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Rule #1 for Canadian Government Club is we don't talk about Canadian Government Club.

9. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    No, you don't know how it works. 45 threads and 2 pages are the threads from the last month only, chief.

Ad I test my knives by cutting things. If they cut things, they work. If they cut things well, they work well.

I have yet to cut anything with the spine of my knife, so I have not tested it.

10. The cow

The cow

Jul 3, 2014
    Look at what the knife claims to do and test it. A bushcraft knife should be, above all else, an excellent carver and a very ergonomic grip.
    Modern survival knife should be able to carve reasonably well and withstand some "reasonable" abuse.
    A locking pocket knife should not fail with firm hand pressure, should cut cardboard well. If it has a pocket clip, it should clip the fabric well.

11. blade dude

blade dude

Nov 8, 2015
    Must be able to baton (with the grain of course) why is this my standard? My delica passed. So any locking knife must be able to.
    And then it must survive a day with me. If it does that with no chips no breaking then it's fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. gadunz

gadunz

Dec 4, 2012
    Line butcher 8 hrs a day. The knife that needs the least sharpening, you take home, & get a work issue replacement.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    You test them with a micrometer. But don't test the lock. It's not important. I actually think folders should be delocked because they aren't needed.

14. nagod

nagod

Jun 29, 2005
    i test mine by looking at pictures of the head of the company and what they think about anything.

15. CapitalizedLiving

CapitalizedLiving

Dec 1, 2007
    The test is more of trust than of the knife itself - if you can trust the maker, the knife passes the test.

16. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I take it out of the box, open and close it a few times.
    Sharpen it, then put it in my pocket and use it.
    It won't take long to know if I like it or not and what tasks it excels at.

17. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Good point. inovation, quality and strength take a back seat.

18. wazu013

wazu013 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I let Lynn do the testing. I just use them.

19. tchapman414

tchapman414

Jan 9, 2014
    This is hands down the best analogy I've seen for the topic; you gave me a good chuckle with that one.

Cheers!

20. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    Or it could be looked at another way. Crash testing a car. A car isn't supposed to be crashed but if it is, you would like to know the safety mechanisms function correctly. Some people can go a lifetime without ever needing major safety equipment in their car but that ONE time you need it, you'd hope it's there, working correctly, and saving you from serious injury