How to test knives?

What? Click your link (where I was before) 45 threads, 2 pages.
f319f1071dd77618412dd71533f6e8db.png

A huntingknife ? Dress out, skin, and butcher a deer .That tells you a lot about blade and handle shape , balance , weight.To check wear of the blade do more than one deer.
A folder ? carry it for six months or more use it for everything you need .
I think that's the only way to test .

What? Click your link (where I was before) View attachment 645520

Your attachment doesn't work. Don't know what is wrong on your end. I clearly have hundreds of pages. I've been reading most of the threads there for years. Far more than a couple pages. Perhaps hit your computer with the spin of your knife. :D

Your attachment doesn't work. Don't know what is wrong on your end. I clearly have hundreds of pages. I've been reading most of the threads there for years. Far more than a couple pages. Perhaps hit your computer with the spin of your knife. :D

Check my post I updated it. The image now works.

Clearly this site just hates me.

No, you don't know how it works. 45 threads and 2 pages are the threads from the last month only, chief.

Ad I test my knives by cutting things. If they cut things, they work. If they cut things well, they work well.

I have yet to cut anything with the spine of my knife, so I have not tested it.

Hey BF,

I have made some threads about some test I have done in the past. They may of not been the smartest tests. So, I was looking at how do you tests knives? I assume there are different tests for different types of knives also. Got any advice on how to test knives?

-Gideons

Look at what the knife claims to do and test it. A bushcraft knife should be, above all else, an excellent carver and a very ergonomic grip.
Modern survival knife should be able to carve reasonably well and withstand some "reasonable" abuse.
A locking pocket knife should not fail with firm hand pressure, should cut cardboard well. If it has a pocket clip, it should clip the fabric well.

Must be able to baton (with the grain of course) why is this my standard? My delica passed. So any locking knife must be able to.
And then it must survive a day with me. If it does that with no chips no breaking then it's fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line butcher 8 hrs a day. The knife that needs the least sharpening, you take home, & get a work issue replacement.
_79092023_unnamed(1).jpg
Abattoirs_Packers_Butchers.jpg

You test them with a micrometer. But don't test the lock. It's not important. I actually think folders should be delocked because they aren't needed.

i test mine by looking at pictures of the head of the company and what they think about anything.

I take it out of the box, open and close it a few times.
Sharpen it, then put it in my pocket and use it.
It won't take long to know if I like it or not and what tasks it excels at.

If you're confused why people think your spine whack tests are stupid, then try explaining to your car dealer that your new vehicle is very bad at driving in reverse down the highway. Yes...that's what you sound like.

This is hands down the best analogy I've seen for the topic; you gave me a good chuckle with that one.

Cheers!

This is hands down the best analogy I've seen for the topic; you gave me a good chuckle with that one.

Cheers!

Or it could be looked at another way. Crash testing a car. A car isn't supposed to be crashed but if it is, you would like to know the safety mechanisms function correctly. Some people can go a lifetime without ever needing major safety equipment in their car but that ONE time you need it, you'd hope it's there, working correctly, and saving you from serious injury

Back