How to test knives?

But crashing a car is abuse. You shouldn't abuse a car. And nothing out of the ordinary ever happens on the road. Why even test them. It's stupid. Crash tests are stupid and ghetto. And old cars without seat belts and airbags are like slip joints. Use them properly and you'll never have a problem.

But crashing a car is abuse. You shouldn't abuse a car. And nothing out of the ordinary ever happens on the road. Why even test them. It's stupid. Crash tests are stupid and ghetto. And old cars without seat belts and airbags are like slip joints. Use them properly and you'll never have a problem.

The analogy isn't quite apt, though. Of course we need to test cars for this purpose, they are nearly always used in an environment where your mistake can cost life and limb to not only yourself but others. Your mistake with a folding knife you are holding in your hand is likely to injure you, but much less likely, if not darn near impossible, that lock failure will injure someone else in the environment.

A simulated crash is designed to test what would happen in an actual crash, aka an accident. As has been pointed out, most spine whack tests against a stationary table (or what have you) do not simulate this. So, it is more like driving backwards down the highway.

You see what happens when people pick things apart looking for technicalities. You miss the the big picture.

I test my knives every time I use them. I've learned over the years that if you use your tools properly, pay attention to the task at hand and inspect your tools before use, they will be reliable and operate without failure. Its amazing how a little pocket lint will reek havoc on a locking mechanism.

I test my knives every time I use them. I've learned over the years that if you use your tools properly, pay attention to the task at hand and inspect your tools before use, they will be reliable and operate without failure. Its amazing how a little pocket lint will reek havoc on a locking mechanism.

Yes, driving defensively and doing proper maintenance on your car is advisable just the same. Doesn't mean crap can't happen due to no fault of your own.

Also, if I took a basic Honda Accord and modified it a little, it'd go from being a basic commuter car to a car that belongs on a racetrack. Sure, the guy with the racecar Honda may never enter into a race, but it does what the guy wants it to and more which was the objective to begin with. Some guys want commuter cars, some guys want commuter cars with some features that make it perform better in various environments, and some guys want all out sprint cars or Baja buggies. Back to knives, personally I just want a knife that'll do what I ask it to and the rest is up to me to know the limits of my tools. I carry a fixed blade for aggressive work and a folder for finer tasks. I doubt that I really need a lock on my folder because I carry a fixed blade, too. That doesn't mean the lock doesn't give me at least some peace of mind. And if the lock is there, I would like it to work right within the limit of what the knife as a whole package is capable of.

Back