How useful are the small "prybar" types of multitools for EDC or BOBs?

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm interested in asking about this newer type of "multitool" that is sort of a small pry bar combined with a couple of other functions including nail puller, scraper, some type of wrench or driver, bottle opener, etc. Seems like there are getting to be a lot of them out there. A couple of examples include the Schrade multifunction pry tool, a similar-looking Boker tool, and a variety of others including entries by Buck, CRKT, and so on. For that matter, I'd include in this discussion the various types of "mini pry bars" that are out there such as the little keychain type prybars at CountyComm.

Not trying to pick on anybody's choices in their EDC or BOB, but really, how useful can these things be? First of all, they don't seem large/powerful enough to really perform their MAIN function of prying anything useful. Second, for their various add-on functions, seems like you'd be better off just using a traditional multitool with a pliers, bit driver, etc.

Are these little pry tools really a necessary add-on for EDC or a BOB, or are they just fluff designed to lighten our wallets a bit more?

I don't have one of the multi tool styles so can't comment - but have had one of the countycomm pico widgy bars in my pocket for a few years and have found it very useful for everything from opening boxes to tightening small screws and small prying jobs it has been great and plenty strong - ymmv

Seems to me that Peter Atwood has made a large amount of these, and thus his success has been followed up by other companies. I have a couple, not Atwood's, but a JDR and a Pocket Toolx. Each one is really more of a bottle opener to me, and each has come in handy a few times. The flat head has been used as a screwdriver and to get some mud out of a tread on my boots. Once I used it to adjust the sights of my .357 Magnum, when I had no other tools with me. If you have one of these, they can sometimes pry something small, instead of using your knife's tip, save the knife for cutting. No they don't have lots of prying power, but sometimes it has just enough.
If you have nothing else, and need a small tool, I guess they can come in handy. Like you said, if you already have a mulit-tool, and it's with you, then they are not so necessary.

They won't pry much of anything heavy, but if they keep you from using a knife blade to do the same thing, they're useful. In my car I keep a slightly larger small pry bar ... about seven inches long. I "carry" that (i.e. car) precisely so I'll never be stuck somewhere and be tempted to use one of my good knives to pry anything. For that matter, a small(ish) flathead screwdriver can save yourself from yourself sometimes.

I've pried open things with a Vic bottle opener/screwdriver that I probably should NOT have done. All with no problem. But a solid piece of metal that is not on a pivot is a lot better.

I keep a PocketToolX Brewzer on my keys and use it often. It's perfect for lifting staples, nails, and opening beers.

These so-called pocket "prybars" never really appealed to me. I usually carry a Vic Spirit anyway so it would be pointless to carry one of those as well.

I too dont own any multi tools since I use my edc for everything. but graham makes some knives that can be used as prybars if it helps? push cutting is unique
shape may seem odd but if you think about it, its a beauty
21069.jpg

I have some of the Atwood versions, but don't carry them. I have them just because I like them.

Picture025Medium.jpg

I do keep this Atwood with me at all times, and it comes in handy. For me, it basically keeps me from using my knife blade as a light duty pry bar:

IMG_2339.jpg

As with most of the stuff we carry, we can get by just fine without it. These things just make life a little easier.

Well, frankly, I just feel better if I know I can pry something. :eek:

I try to limit myself to only a few keyrings full of Atwood tools when I go to work, though. It's annoying to have to lift my stomach and show the security guard everyday. Fortunately, he also has several keyrings full, so we get along great.

Last edited:
TTpockeTTools, "The keeper" in particular, dosn't cost all that much, and if You're dealing with one of the size bolts it offers to turn (such as I do), it's handy.
Digging dirt off control point caps, or I can use the 1/4 " bit turner for a socket wench or philips driver, ect...
I havn't lifted a man hole lid with it yet, but I'm sure I'll try it soon. Basicly things I don't want to put My Benchmades through is why I keep My "Keeper".

Technically, the longer is the pribar, the more powerfull it is.:D
I have the "Boker plus" with my keys, and i use it sometime, but more like a small knife to open duck-tape on parcels than prying anything.

I have my doubts about them.

For one, they seem to small to do any real prying. Small not as in thickness, but lacking in enough handle size or length to make a decent pry tool. It's a matter of dimension and leverage. There's a few that may be just big enough, like the one from Countycomm.

On the other hand...

I've got a .99 cent Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver in my wallet that I've used to pry stuff here and there. And it's only and inch and 5/8ths across. But like I said, it was very light prying. My thumbnail just was not enough, or my older arthritic hands needed a little help. I've also used my P-38 to pry open tobacco can lids, and a can of plastic wood while making a repair on the back porch. I just didn't feel like walking back in the house and down the basement for a putty knife. The P-38 worked just fine as a pry tool and putty knife to fill a hole in the wood. And the P-38 is just a stamped sheet metal tool.

But I really don't understand the Atwood thing at all. Most of them look too thick and too short to be any good. Not to mention an insane price for one piece of CNC'ed metal.

Carl.

I've got a .99 cent Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver in my wallet that I've used to pry stuff here and there. And it's only and inch and 5/8ths across.

I've carried one of those for years on my keychain as well. Works for driving screws as well as light prying. The key word here is "light." Sometimes you need a piece of metal to move something, scrape something, pull a staple or something else that might be damaging to a knife blade. It's just nice having something so you can save your sharp edges for actual slicing.

The Craftsman tool is also why I haven't bought a keychain pry tool. I don't want the extra bulk on my key/tool chain and I already have it covered.

Last edited:
I've started carrying one and, while I quite like it, it's definitely a convenience tool not an emergency tool. Scraping, prying up heavy duty staples, opening bottles, etc. I don't think it comes anywhere close to replacing a full sized multi-tool, but I don't carry a multi-tool around in my pocket so it helps bridge the gap.

I've got one, an Atwood Mini Prybaby, and it's OK. Being that I got it as a gift, I won't part with it, but there's nothing it can do that my much cheaper Victorinox Cadet won't do. In terms of being better than my folder for non-knife tasks, I suppose it does have a place, but I view it(and most of the products in that category) as a waste of money in realty. Just my opinion, though.

I just have a Raker ring tool and a gerber shard. The ring tool has a great cutter, and the shard stays on my keychain and it sees quite a bit of use, I carry it so I dont have to pry with a knife blade.

I realize everyone has different needs and face different challenges in their day-to-day lives. That being said, I used to carry a Gerber Artifact on my keychain and I used the prying feature exactly 0 times in one year. I finally took the thing off my keyring because it was just weighing me down. I'm glad I only paid $10 for it. I can't imagine paying 8 or 9x that amount for an Atwood tool. In my opinion Atwood tools are "man jewelry" or pricey collectibles. I imagine some get used but I'd bet most are just fondled, photographed, and looked at.

I have been asking myself the same question, and ended up buying a couple different models. I haven't received them yet, but I will let you know soon.
Back to Carl's post...lately I've been carrying a 4way Sears SD (thanks to a fellow forumite who gifted me one - you can't find those little things here) and it's useful. Not something that changed my life, but I did find a use for it in several occasions, and mostly it has been for light prying or scraping, rather than as a SD.
I know for sure that my lifestyle doesn't need me to pry anything big, so I don't really need a big prybar...but I found out that I could use a small one. Also, many of these tools work as bottle openers too, and that can be handy as well.
I agree that I'm not willing to spend much money on these gadgets...but I decided to try one. After all, I don't expect to wear it out :D so time would justify the money spent on it

:cool:

Back when I was in undergrad, there was nothing more annoying than hearing nails being clipped DURING lecture.

Back on topic though, nice Atwoods by the way, but what is that small little wedge thing in the center on that lone key ring in the first pic?

Sheeple friendly too. The Brewser doesn't get any stares from the bunny lovers and such. I've been lectured on a swiss army classic for opening stuff in my office. But not a word on the Brewser.

Back