How useful are the small "prybar" types of multitools for EDC or BOBs?

I carry a P-51 can opener. It’s longer than the P-38, which makes it a better light pry bar.

For example, the plastic tubs spackle and wood fill come in have sturdy lids. Opening by hand is less easy than prying with my P-51.

It doesn’t cost a hundred bucks, but then it’s not made of titanium. It sure opens cans, though.

Then there are all the other uses. The old list for the P-38 also works for the P-51.

# Can opener
# Seam ripper
# Screwdriver (Straight and Phillips)
# Clean fingernails
# Cut fishing line
# Open paint cans
# Window scraper
# Scrape around floor corners
# Digging
# Clean out groove on Tupperware lids
# Reach in and clean out small cracks
# Scrape around edge of boots
# Bottle opener
# Gut fish (in the field)
# Scale fish (in the field)
# Test for 'doneness' when baking on a camp fire
# Prying items
# Strip wire
# Scrape pans in the field
# Lift key on flip top cans
# Chisel
# Barter
# Marking tool
# Deflating tires
# Clean sole of boot/shoe
# Pick teeth
# Measurement
# Striking flint
# Stirring coffee
# Puncturing plastic coating
# Knocking on doors
# Morse code
# Box cutter
# Opening letters
# Write emergency messages
# Scratch an itch
# Save as a souvenir
# Rip off rank for on-the-spot promotions
# Bee sting removal tool (scrape off w/ blade)
# Spark Plug gap gauge
# Point gap gauge (for antique cars that have a distributor)
# Extract spent shells from a break-open shotgun after extractor breaks
# Stick in thumb notch to open slip joint pocket knife
# Open bubble wrap display card to get at your purchase
# Mark plastic pipe for cutting.
# Removing splinters
# Cut plastic sheeting
# Adjust carburetor (again, for antique cars)

I have a pico widgy(Ti), a schrade, and an str Ti pry bar. I use them all the time. Mostly to open soda cans(I bite my nails really close), and other small things.

I have found the pocket pry tool to be nearly useless.

For a couple days, I carried a Gerber Artifact on my keys. I have found that somehow, putting it on a keychain makes it about twice as large and three times heavier.

So then I carried it in a cargo pocket for a few weeks.

I never used it, so I stuck it in a pocket in my backpack. I continued not using it, and found that I didn't miss not using it at all. In fact, I've enjoyed not using it so much that I actually don't even know where it is anymore.

When I did use it, it was only for the X-Acto blade. It does a heck of a job on clamshell packages.

I also carry a SAK, a P38 can opener, and a four way screwdriver.

The bottle opener on the SAK is excellent and will pry quite reasonably in everday situations. I regularly use it on stubborn pistachios. The other tools are also rather useful.

As Carl notes, the P38 works just fine as a pry tool. I use mine for light prying all the time at my current job. Government specs require 1050, 1055, or 1065 steel, which are relatively tough steels. It's lightweight, and is no more difficult to carry a single extra key. If it's not enough prying (or can opening) power, the P51 is a mighty fine tool as well. Wallet carry works well for them too. The price is right, and everyone should have at least one. Emergency (or even regular) can opening is also a very cool trick.

I carry the 4 way screwdriver in my wallet. It's a "Powerful Pete" instead of a Craftsman, but would imagine they are about the same. I haven't found it to be at all useful, but it serves as a reminder of my grandfather. Victorinox also produces them. They are intended to be used in one of their card tools, but you can order them separately. Their version has a 2d philips head. The last time I checked, they were somewhere between $3-5 or so.

If I were serious about pocket prying, I would get a dedicated tool like County Comm offers. They seem to offer the some actual prying ability at the best price in something you would actually want to carry.

The Atwood tools appear to be some kind of pocket jewelry thing I don't really understand. I don't have $150 for a bottle opener, but best wishes to Atwood and those who do.

I have an Atwood prybaby and gerber artifact, among other keychain pry tools. Based on my patterns of usage, I have not had many occasions to use them, so they have not been that useful, although I do keep one in my bag. A $2 Stanley mini prybar will serve just as well, if not better. So I suspect it will depend on how often you need to use such a tool. I can easily find a nearby object that can do the same thing.

Probably the most useful thing I own is an AG Russell steel thumbnail. It's tiny, I've flown with it dozens of times, and just lives quietly on my keys until I need to open a folding tool (I have no fingernails), get under a stubborn ringpull, pry two things apart, score paper, or otherwise perform a task that I could do if I had steel fingernails!

I no longer carry any other keychain tool. I have a small Juice in my pocket and a full-size knife.

I really don't understand that 1cm long Atwood either, the one that looks like a tiny mini doorstopper. I am almost scared to ask how much that cost.

TTpockeTTools, "The keeper" in particular, dosn't cost all that much, and if You're dealing with one of the size bolts it offers to turn (such as I do), it's handy.
Digging dirt off control point caps...

I was using my SAK's awl/reamer to do the very same thing just the other day; on a CP cap and a couple brass discs (annoyingly recessed a bit in 3/4" pipe). I'm digging that Simple tool. It's a bit spendy, but it looks pretty cool.

Disclaimer: I am a fan of keychain multitools.
That said, I am not much of a collector (wish I was rich :-]) and I agree that highly priced items (atwood) are lock-away beauty queens.
I will disagree that they don't have their place.
I carry a Gerber Shard, very happy with it (at 5$ you can't go wrong!). In one year of carrying I used it 2-3 times. One of those times, I was locked out of a battery disabled vehicle. Due to a strange set of circumstances there we were, 3 men with just a Gerber Shard, trying to break into a car. Fun times!
Anyway, all tools are useful when you need them. My latest find (also bought for collective purposes) is the ''ShapeTool'' Keychain Multitool, 3d printed by Shapeways.

photo67566.jpg

Bottom line? If you are active and used to build, repair things you won't regret having an ounce of extra metal with your keys.

Last edited:
Have a Gerber Shard on my keyring, but find myself using my Leathermwan more often. debating the utility, but seemed like a good idea at the time.

I really don't understand that 1cm long Atwood either, the one that looks like a tiny mini doorstopper. I am almost scared to ask how much that cost.

Just saw this, so I'm resurrecting it. That teeny Atwood you refer to was a freebie from Peter Atwood. But I bet I could get $70 for it on eBay.

Hehe, yeah, I bet it would! Or even more! =)

Btw, nice to see ya around again powernoodle.

I used to carry a Gerber Artifact on my keychain and I used the prying feature exactly 0 times in one year.

Sounds very familiar. I went through periods of carrying -- and subsequently ditching -- both the Sears 4-way and a P38. I just never used either one. Ever. I do have a Gerber Shard on order, but its main attraction for me is the bottle opener. Here in Europe you don't find many twist-open beers, and I greatly prefer having a proper opener vs. levering open a bottle with a lighter or whatever.

I actually feel myself getting upset when i hear about people being scolded for using a SAK.
What nervous nelly can't handle the sight of a small multi-tool?

I actually feel myself getting upset when i hear about people being scolded for using a SAK.
What nervous nelly can't handle the sight of a small multi-tool?

I'm with you. That reaction is so completely idiotic. The country has changed since I was a kid. I can't stand the new mindset most people seem to have today.

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd chime in that I keep a Gerber Shard clipped to the bale on my slipjoint and I'll be durned if I don't use it. Lifting staples, tightening screws, opening bottles, scooping crud out from under my nails, etc. I don't use it every day or anything, but then again I don't use a knife every day either.

The thing is, you bend or chip a knife you like even once because you were prying with it and it'll make that little tool worth carrying.

Back