How/What is the proper use for knife lanyards?

I only use them on my SAK's. I just drop the knife in my pocket and leave a bit of the lanyard out so I can draw the knife easier.

A knife with a clip really doesn't need one.

trekkeroht2.jpg

I use a little noose-style lanyard on my 'work' knives made out of neon-orange paracord to help me find them when/if I drop them. A little chunk of neon orange cord is way easier to find than a chunk of black anodized aluminum/black FRN...

Otherwise, I don't use them.

I leave them on just in case I'm stuck in the woods or something. Never going to happen but.......................

Ever wished you had some extra long cord laying around to tie something? Ever actually HAVE that extra cord laying around? Just untie your lanyard. Paracord is so cheap that you could just use it whenever and they're super simple to tie back.

My big chopper has one so it is a safety situation there.

My others that I have with the lanyard are ones I use over water. It saves an oops and loss of the knife.

I do have one on a skinning/hunting knife. If I have to drop it to work with my hands, I can and not have to sheath it. It requires a lot of extra care, and sometimes it gets sheathed anyway depending on what I am doing. We raise hogs and rabbits, so it is helpful when processing these, though one of the butcher scabbard would be nice.

I use them mostly on fixies to assist in drawing them from the sheath.

I love deep carry sheaths for my small fixed blades, so the fob is an aid in drawing the knife and a safety to avoid dropping it. A lanyard on a chopper or a machete makes sense...

I like them. Only on certain knives. For example, I would never use it on a spyderco pm2 because that's a light knife and I'll clip it to my pocket. my zt350 on the other hand needs it. Imo. I don't like to clip it to my pocket because it's a pretty hefty knife. So I throw it in my pocket with a pen and my keys. And it's easy to just grab the lanyard. But also, I use it when I'm holding it in a reverse grip. I have it between the handle and my palm. It fills my hand makes the grip almost impossible to get loose

Lanyards on my folders I have all set where I can get my pinky finger into a hole, and only use it for harder/wet tasks to avoid losing my grip... On larger Knives they are set to get my hand through so I can secure it to my wrist, same purpose.

Aside from that they are a small decorative piece adding a personal touch to my Knives.
*edit - plus the added touch of having a few feet of paracord on hand "just in case" doesn't hurt.

Last edited:
I think having a lanyard on small knives is excellent. When I first purchased a boker subcom I didn't like it because since its such a small knife it was very hard to open with one hand as well as maintain a good grip. But after I threw a small lanyard on I fell in love with it. It makes drawing the knife from your pocket very easy and enabled me to flick the knife open one handed very easy.

Well...if we are going to resurrect a 5 year old thread, we might as well refresh the difference between a lanyard and a fob, and the differences in their function.

Any takers?

Well...if we are going to resurrect a 5 year old thread, we might as well refresh the difference between a lanyard and a fob, and the differences in their function.

Any takers?

Size matters?

Cirrusly, a lanyard is to go around your wrist, attach to your belt, whatever, to help secure the knife.

A fob is usually braided and to help fish the knife out of your pocket, make it seem longer, etc.

That was a swag (scientific wild a** guess).

Cirrusly, a lanyard is to go around your wrist, attach to your belt, whatever, to help secure the knife.

A fob is usually braided and to help fish the knife out of your pocket, make it seem longer, etc.

That's my understanding also. They are not the same thing.

Lanyard attached; pinky loop lanyard, wrist lanyard, etc...

Fob is a forward operating base...

How do you properly use a knife lanyard? Is it supposed to go around your wrist, like your hand through a large circle and then grip the handle?

I've seen people just put their pinky fingers through a very small hole, is that proper? I would think that would be to prevent your hand from slipping forward.

I read on a website that some people use long lanyards and wrap them around the hand and in between the handle somehow? to prevent the knife from slipping when wet, some extra grip/friction.

What I gather there are two different lanyard styles: Long/Around Wrist and Short/Around Pinky Finger. Is this accurate? What are the functional differences between them?
watch my youtube video to see
<no, video removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
At the beginning (sort of) lanyards were invented/developed/heavily used
by XIX cavalry for their sidearms
Germans during WWII use them to prevent/slow theft of sidearms in crowded places
Of course seafarers used some kind of restraints for Centuries
(but only officers and some NCO got actual blades)

But today's knife lanyards are mostly a fashion only !
Unless you are outside on 20th floor hanging :^)
I know such guys personally for decades (was one of them way and up ago :^)

[I don't have even one, sorry]

It's been awhile since I've seen a thread die, get resurrected, die again, then get resurrected again.

Please check dates, guys. Thanks, and have a nice day!

Back