How's Queen's QC these days?

I was hoping to be able to give a good review on my most recent Queen purchase. I would have shared my thoughts whether they were good or bad but fortunately in this case, I can provide some favorable feedback.

This 2017 Schatt & Morgan Executive Jack arrived today and my impressions are mostly positive.

First of all, I really like the looks of the knife. It's built on the same #99 frame as the Northwoods Indian River Jack but it has a great Wharncliffe blade made of ATS-34 Stainless Steel. I would actually rather have this knife than an Indian River Jack based solely on the much lower price and the Wharncliffe blade. That's just me though.

This knife was listed as "1 of 50" on the dealer's website but there is no indication of that anywhere on the knife or the box.

Pros:
Great snap both opening and closing.
ATS-34 blade steel. I see this a "pro" but others might not.
Pinned shield. I can see the pin pressed into the liner opposite the shield.
I can easily pinch the blade open. My chipped thumbnail is from playing with some other knives.
Great looking bone and jigging.
Blade is pretty well centered but not perfectly so. No rub on either side.
No blade play at all.
Very pointy and sharp tip.
Decent edge that can be used right out of the box.
Blade seems pretty thin to me but I'm no expert on the subject. It certainly isn't thick by any means.

Cons:
The blade has that slightly gritty action that Queen is notorious for.
A little gappy in the backspring area but not too bad.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the quality of this knife. I'm pretty smitten with it actually. I should clarify that I did ask the dealer to check for "good walk & talk and a blade that doesn't touch the liner on either side".
View attachment 802963
View attachment 802964
View attachment 802965
View attachment 802966
Here's the blade centering. It looks bent in this pick but I don't see a bend in the blade in the open position.
View attachment 802967
View attachment 802968
Here I tried to capture the shield pin pressed into the liner. I had to make several attempts and this was the best pic. You can barely see it at the bottom in the blade well directly between my thumb and forefinger. I can see it plain as day when shining a flashlight into the blade well.
View attachment 802969
And here I tried to capture the thin blade.
View attachment 802970
Nice knife, and nice little review and pictures. I'm glad to hear that you are happy with it. I have a couple of Queens with minimal side to side play, but they have such snappy walk and talk that it doesn't bother me. For the most part, I'm a fan of Queen made knives.

Back