How's Queen's QC these days?

This is my one example.
jIvppvK.jpg

My only valid gripes are that the clip blade is off center to the point of rubbing the liner and the long pull is so shallow that my thumb nail slips when trying to open it when I'm not paying attention. The latter is probably the only reason it doesn't see much carry time. It might seem insignificant, but it really drives me crazy.
Other than that it has excellent transitions from bone to bolster and liner to back spring, some of the smoothest pull I have ever experienced, and gorgeous bone color.
oqd9KlS.jpg

It's a bummer about the pull depth, because it is a really sweet pattern that would probably see a lot of pocket time if it wasn't for that issue.

As requested. I suppose only one of these are from the Heritage series, thats why I thought both were. Its stamped into the jigged bone one.

pretty well centered

some pin shots

spring shot, well flushed

the site said no half stops, but that feels like one to me

pretty flush, if not sunk in a little during mid open at half stop

Heritage series stamp (missing from ebony one)

full open, with authoritative snap

spring is flush on open, but idk what the term is for that tiny gap there

some polish snafu

blade well shot, not much to show, but there was no gaps

and to the ebony

tiny gap by shield, nothing to cry about

not exactly uniform covers

no complaints on the centering from me

that is oil not etchant

theres that tiny gap again, but flushed on open. no half stops on this one like site states

and heres the blade with printing, again oil only, cause 1095, i didnt wipe it cause its going to be stored. will be buying another to carry.

all in all, im pleased with this purchase. i believe ive linked disappoints prior on a coke bottle as well as the heritage clip jack in a different queen/schatt and morgan thread.

I'm so pleased your knives turned up shiny mrknife.

Sadly my recent experience with Queen has been quite the opposite.

Edited to add: The seller also claimed to check all knives before despatching! :rolleyes:

Yikes, sorry to see that. gonna send it back? i honestly dont think they looked at all. also i was considering that, but then that EO killed it for me. Is there serious customs charges for packages from usa to uk? or is it a simple customs form btw

I was wondering where some of you folks are getting the Queen #1lb(the long lockback). Been keeping my eyes open but I never seem to see them listed. The ones without the schwing! guard are really appealing. If they are non-approved dealers please feel free to leave me a VM. Some exceptional examples here, good and bad. Thanks for all the pics folks.👍
Thanks, Neal

I have a mammoth ivory baby sunfish that came with some curious issues. I actually won it in a GAW so for me to complain about it seems a little cheesy but I figure it may help someone else in the future. The main blade had been buffed into a waterfall look. When I took a closer look I could see they actually buffed an old Schatt and Morgan stamping off the blade leading me to believe they re-handle an over run or possibly used old stock blades. I couldn't get this to show up in my pics but the waterfall buffing is visible.
GE9POHa.jpg

Kky5s4n.jpg

VCUXCQu.jpg

I think 'waterfall' is being a bit kind, looks like orange peel cellulite to me :D I have a Queen/Schatt Scout knife with very much the same finish. You can expect orange peel on D2 but not on basic 420 stainless, so something might be getting re-cycled, none too well either...:confused:

Some of the pix here really do make me wonder. I've said before I'm a big fan of the D2 Stagbone knives from the early years of this century. Yes, some can arrive blunt and it's no short job getting that D2 in order but the overall fit and finish on these knives is excellent. Well equal to anything from GEC and ahead of CASE and the late CS. But try as I may, I can't really enthuse about recent post Daniels issues. They don't look or behave well finished, that Keystone shield (sometimes huge) seems to be stuck on all patterns regardless and there is this distinct feel of parts knives from old bins getting pimped up. Even the new tangstamp and Queen shield are somehow unaesthetic, that and these huge etch numbers on the pile side of some blades...not really. There do seem to be reliability and finish issues, but Queen (from earlier times)remains one of my favourites, just wish they could issue a WOW knife that really does not contain lots of flaws, make all the difference!

The crazy issue for my knife is you know it's a special run for one of their best dealers with an impeccable reputation. How they could let these out of the factory like this is unacceptable to me. Let alone waste Mammoth Ivory on them. If they were being sold as seconds then maybe it would make more sense.

Last edited:
You know, sadly I think they do do a lot of repurposing. Stock that didnt sell, or left over parts get reused for other runs. For example, I recently ordered a tear drop from a certain place whose not a dealer and cant be mentioned but the handle itself looks oddly like the heritage jack series handle. More to come when it arrives.

Two new schatt and morgans for me todays, one is a repeat.

even between the two from the same run theres a difference, same goof by the shield

this ones finished slightly better imo

slightly more rounded compared to the other one

same funky finishing issues, but heritage stamp?

one has it one doesnt, :confused:

the other day i thought these looked similar, but here they are side by side.

ones thicker, but both have the same blade to handle ratio mistake, could have put a little more blade there

interesting stamp on it,

the pull is a 1.5 :thumbdn:

i have to say, their quality control leaves a lot of questions. are these parts knives? one run? why the variations? etc. I bought two on purpose because I really enjoy the pattern and wanted one to carry, but if theres a variation, might even have to buy a third :confused: that tear drop is just a confusing knife all together, interesting tho. Its pull is so light they couldve left the nail nick off :yawn:

Last edited:
but heritage stamp?

What was your question about the "heritage stamp"?
The Schatt and Morgan Heritage series consists of fairly exact reproductions of patterns they made in the 1920's and 30's. They have carbon steel blades.

I have one and, while I find the machining on the blade cams to be a bit odd, the rest of the knife is gorgeous.

The Heritage knives were issued about 8 years ago: Two 3 blade knives, 2 single blades (Spear/Clip) and a Jack 2 blade pattern. Steel liners, nice shields, bone or wood. But, there were significant QC problems with a good percentage - weak to non existent snap, gaps, not much edge and the blade handle ratio was not in my opinion, well balanced. Short blades some with oversized tangs giving a slightly odd appearance. This was the successor to the Keystone yearly series. They were deeply stamped with the word Heritage. So, either Queen is getting out the stamping die again and re-issuing these blades (rather unlikely given that the run is not called Heritage) or, they have a load of old blades/blanks they are using up. Your guess is as good as mine.....but when you buy a second knife as backup, it should match the first...

What was your question about the "heritage stamp"?
The Schatt and Morgan Heritage series consists of fairly exact reproductions of patterns they made in the 1920's and 30's. They have carbon steel blades.

I have one and, while I find the machining on the blade cams to be a bit odd, the rest of the knife is gorgeous.

I have two of the exact same knife, well almost. Bought from the same dealer, which cant be mentioned, but one has the stamp, one does not, the other one with brown jigged bown has the stamp too. So is it part of the heritage run? or its just they had stamped blades, and eventually they just ran out of that one and stuck a similar blade in. Cause the blades are slightly different, grind wise, choil wise. One has the 1095, one doesn't, should I coat them both? Since there are irregularities ive decided to treat them as a slight novelty. I put it in the edc box and then took it back to replace in its packaging. Im totally fine with parts knives, i find them very interesting if it is truly what it is, cause I did intend to carry one of them even though its a nail breaker with a pull of at least 7.5

The Heritage knives were issued about 8 years ago: Two 3 blade knives, 2 single blades (Spear/Clip) and a Jack 2 blade pattern. Steel liners, nice shields, bone or wood. But, there were significant QC problems with a good percentage - weak to non existent snap, gaps, not much edge and the blade handle ratio was not in my opinion, well balanced. Short blades some with oversized tangs giving a slightly odd appearance. This was the successor to the Keystone yearly series. They were deeply stamped with the word Heritage. So, either Queen is getting out the stamping die again and re-issuing these blades (rather unlikely given that the run is not called Heritage) or, they have a load of old blades/blanks they are using up. Your guess is as good as mine.....but when you buy a second knife as backup, it should match the first...

Precisely, if they are the same they should be that way equal. if the company is cranking out backroom parts special knives that is fine too, gotta use up the stock. Not everyone can plan as well as Bill Howard can

Jack, please take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert but I could just about swear that the 99 pattern was never part of any Heritage series run, despite the stamping on that blade. It appears to me that the blade was intended for a Heritage knife but landed on your 99 instead. Perhaps a parts knife like you mentioned.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm or deny my suspicions.

Jack, please take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert but I could just about swear that the 99 pattern was never part of any Heritage series run, despite the stamping on that blade. It appears to me that the blade was intended for a Heritage knife but landed on your 99 instead. Perhaps a parts knife like you mentioned.

Yeah as I research this I agree. I mean its not a big deal, but Id like to know what I have, you know?

As far as the "waterfall" effect on the baby sunfish is a part of the glazing process they used on some lines around the early 2000's(bem, zebra wood,etc.). Not mind you a good example, but maybe a blade that was going to be on a second until the company changed hands. I guess if nothing else we're learning what years to collect and what years to not, or at least carry. Dunno, I still love the D2, and other good steels they put in their knives. Far as sharpening D2, well, I've touched up a few Doziers and ah...let's just say he has a VERY good heat treat.
Thanks, Neal

The Heritage series is supposed to be limited to a certain number of knives per pattern. That doesn't mean they can't sell more of the same knife, just w/o the Heritage stamp, or different covers, etc.

Thanks everyone! I think I got all the information I needed from this thread, and then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack, I believe Rick is spot on with his assessment here. From what I've seen, the 99 was not on the page of the S&M catalog that the Heritage series was based on. I believe they only made single blade clips and spears in Ebony and Rosewood, and then two blade spear/Pen in Ebony, Rosewood and jogged bone.
The 99's came along a lot more recent and they were also used as the basis for the Northwoods Indian River Jacks.

Back