How's Queen's QC these days?

Was yours a current or recent production? I was looking at a stag railsplitter, but it makes me nervous because I've heard good and bad things about the QC.

Some say old is better, some say new is better. If it makes you nervous, don't buy either way. However, I've never sent a Queen made knife back, but I've never gotten a perfect one since they are handmade :) I like all of em, but they are individualistic.

Just buy from someone who will inspect it or let you return it.

Some say old is better, some say new is better. If it makes you nervous, don't buy either way. However, I've never sent a Queen made knife back, but I've never gotten a perfect one since they are handmade :) I like all of em, but they are individualistic.

Just buy from someone who will inspect it or let you return it.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thank you. The one I've been looking at is from KSF, so I think it'd be worth it to get one. I appreciate the replies...

Rick(Railsplitter)- I noticed that the clip blade on the second one you got sits noticeably higher. Are there any issues with the tip sticking out? I know that's a fairly easy fix, have done a few of mine for better fit, but it can lead to sunken joints. (Sounds like arthritis or something). They are both nice examples, and it is nice that the blades are thinner, although the thick ones can be reground nicely too, as that makes getting a good edge much simpler, in my opinion. WWYP. Thoughts?
Thanks, Neal

Howdy Neal!

I'm comparing the two knives right now. I don't have time for a pic but the tips of both clip blades rest below the liners and neither blade looks higher than the other in person. I think my pic above might be an optical illusion. I may have taken that pic at a slight angle. I do that sometimes to keep my hand and/or the camera from casting a shadow on the knives.

Or it could be that the top knife is sitting at an angle because of the way it's resting on those raised orange nubs. One or the other is the likely culprit here.

Thanks Rick, I'd wondered if that might be the case, as it seemed as though you'd have mentioned it otherwise. Sometimes I'm just seeing things too, so I figure it never hurts to ask.
Thanks, Neal

Thought I would add a little update.

I had a pleasant conversation with Ryan Daniels today at the knife show in St. Louis. Ryan had many positive things to say about the new Master Cutler at Queen, Jeff Schley. I don't remember everything Ryan said and I would hate to misquote him but let me just say that I walked away from the conversation with a good feeling about the future of Queen Cutlery. I really believe that Jeff is a great asset to Queen and I think that in time, this will become more and more obvious.

Ryan himself is very enthusiastic about moving forward with improvements where necessary and he does acknowledge the likes and dislikes that we as knife knuts have. He genuinely wants to make us all happy and he's putting a lot of effort into making that a reality. When speaking with Ryan, one can't help but admire his enthusiasm.

Another thing I learned from this conversation today is that Queen is doing pretty well at the moment. A lot of people are buying Queen and Queen made knives these days which of course, is also good news.

Not much else to share other than I feel good about the direction Queen is heading. Their intentions are sincere and genuine and the last three Queen knives I've acquired have in fact shown noticeable improvements in quality and consistency.

Thought I would add a little update.

I had a pleasant conversation with Ryan Daniels today at the knife show in St. Louis. Ryan had many positive things to say about the new Master Cutler at Queen, Jeff Schley. I don't remember everything Ryan said and I would hate to misquote him but let me just say that I walked away from the conversation with a good feeling about the future of Queen Cutlery. I really believe that Jeff is a great asset to Queen and I think that in time, this will become more and more obvious.

Ryan himself is very enthusiastic about moving forward with improvements where necessary and he does acknowledge the likes and dislikes that we as knife knuts have. He genuinely wants to make us all happy and he's putting a lot of effort into making that a reality. When speaking with Ryan, one can't help but admire his enthusiasm.

Another thing I learned from this conversation today is that Queen is doing pretty well at the moment. A lot of people are buying Queen and Queen made knives these days which of course, is also good news.

Not much else to share other than I feel good about the direction Queen is heading. Their intentions are sincere and genuine and the last three Queen knives I've acquired have in fact shown noticeable improvements in quality and consistency.

Thanks for the update!!

I for one was worried about Queen given the news that they did not have their usual booth at the SHOT show.

This is excellent news. (It gives me the "green light" to purchase their #69 1/2 two-blade Barlow).

Thank you.

In my experience their major problem is still the edges that come on their knives. Using D2 doesn't help when it comes to reprofiling, but if you have someone do it for you or don't mind spending some time it's ultimately not a huge deal. Otherwise they're well made and well finished.

And, as a side note, Queen uses some of the best cover material out of the major producers. Lots of really nice figure.

I love my Curly Zebrawood Stockman. The nice part about the D2 Tool Steel is that once it has the proper edge, you won't be losing it anytime soon. On my new Stag-scaled model #69 1/2 Barlow (traditional Clip-point and Pen-blade pattern) should work "as a soul inspired". (Remember, this was the pattern of knife that George Washington himslf carried). In a short time, I have learned to love the Barlow. With modern steels can it help be anything but nearly perfect? Strange, a pattern created in England should become such a beloved American Icon. It enters the 21st century just as useful as it was 400 years ago. Some things rarely change, with modern steels, the Barlow has improved like fine wine.

God help me, I do love it so.

I got a wild hair this morning and asked our Quality Inspector here at work to measure the thickness of my blades right behind the edge.

I commented earlier in this thread that I think Queen is grinding their blades thinner these days. I only have two knives with me right now so these are the only comparisons I can make at this time. Thought it might be good to post some actual numbers instead of just an opinion. Below are the thicknesses of each blade on the two knives I'm carrying today. Measured just behind the cutting edge.

2016 Queen Railsplitter. D2 blades and ACSB covers.
Clip Blade: .023"
Coping Blade: .024"
Pen Blade: .025"
2009 Case/Bose Norfolk
Wharncliffe Blade: .020"
Tiny Clip Blade: .024"

The Queen blades are a little thicker on average than the Case blades but not by much. It should be noted that the Queen blades have been sharpened/touched up a time or two more than the Case.

Last week I ordered a new S&M 21 Senator in Whiskey Catalina Bone 1 of 30. For a small knife it was pretty expensive (just shy of $100). But I've wanted one for a while, and this being a new run and my birthday, I treated myself, hearing quality has improved. Photos looked good enough. Couldn't spot any major issues in them.

*laughs*

Fooled again. I should have taken photos. Let's start positively:

The 1095 blade grinds are spectacular and came razor sharp. No need to touch up the angles or edge on stones. So, kudos to Queen. One issue fixed! But the blade rub.... see below
The spring tension is a heavy 6 and very snappy cam tangs. Good stuff!
The jigging on the pile side is very very well done. Great stuff!

The negatives (oh where to begin):

*The small half of the keystone shield was covered in glue. So I took a metal pick to it and scrapped it all off. This revealed a very poorly routed shield inset in the bone cover, and exposes how crooked the physical shield is inlaid.
*Excessive dye left to dry on the jigged bone covers. It was so bad, that my thumb turned brown trying to rub away the excessive glue. I cleaned it all off on both sides by using a wire brush tip on low RPM Dremel Micro. When done, the jigging on the pile side is standout gorgeous, but.....
*The jigging on the mark side is hideous and flat. And there is a gap between the bone and the liner on one end that can be pinched flush.
*The center backspring pin head on the mark side has tooling marks on it, and was coned to a point. I used a jewelers file to remove the point. Not much I can do about the tooling marks.
*Speaking of filing... the thread lines on two bolster caps were marred (curiously, the same spot on both scales, i.e. flip the knife and it's in the same spot on the other). it looked like somebody took a peening head to it and created a depression in the ridge. So I used a jewelers file to clear away the depression in both.
* The blade tips of both blades make contact with the tang of the opposing blade, just every so slightly too long.
* Gaps between spring and liners, large enough for dental floss to pass through. When I did this, a mess of brass shavings/splinters came out and were still peeling away from the liner edges.

Other than that.... nice knife! *sarcasm*

Honestly, I knew right away I wanted to try to fix the issues with this knife. It's the tinkerer in me. I may disassemble it and put new covers on it. I'll try and post photos later.

Been looking at a S&M Cole's Whittler to have a "beater" version of my 38s....anyone bought one they've liked in 2016/17?

I was looking hard at those several months ago too Joe. They sure do look very nice. I just didn't have the funds to justify the purchase at the time.

I was looking hard at those several months ago too Joe. They sure do look very nice. I just didn't have the funds to justify the purchase at the time.

I've fallen for the lookers a few times now. Hoping I can find forgiveness in my heart for the QC issues but don't want to get burned again....that will seal the proverbial deal on Q/S&M.

I think the Coles Whittler is rather bigger than the GEC 38, more bulky. It comes in 420 which makes the knife less alluring than a D2 one, for me at least. I hope the blades aren't stamped out as thin and tinny as the Barlow type knife I got earlier this year... Wharncliffe master instead of Clip, it's not that cheap either.

My main complaint with Queen (apart from the truly abysmal QC I had on a knife I bought this year) is their almost universal use of the Keystone shield, it often doesn't suit the frame it's put on so I'd like to see some variety.

They do come in American Elk, which makes them interesting.Costs more though.

I bought the Cole's whittler and one of the coffin handled jacks with Burnt Lightning covers...both had fundamental grind issues, again. I'll circle back in 2020.

Dismal to hear that. I frankly worry that they won't be here in 2020 at this rate....

Back