• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

HTM Knives....the ugly

I suggest that anyone that wants to buy an HTM knife, go to their forum on this site and read the thread about the forum knife. In my opinion they are overpriced, have terrible Q.C. and have been very misleading/ shady to deal with. I have no idea how they are still in business.

You know how? The owner will personally make a knife and get it on a movie, that' how IMO. After the t-bone wreck which was the forum crap I swore to never post there nor purchase a knife from HTM...matter of fact I don't care if Darrell himself made it. N0 WAY! Thanks for reminding me I made the right decision.:)

I will state this and I am confident in saying this because of the state I am from and knowing the area where his shop 'used' to be.

Like with most businesses nowadays here in the states, you want to lower payroll but increase your net. You get what you pay for. Not literally in the product at HTM though but in the craftsmanship. Mr. D has found that out IMO because his former customers sure have. Sad.:-l

I guess that's what happens when a talented custom maker/designer decides to run a production company and not keep it under tight control. There's no way after reading this and about the forum knife, I believe DR was intensely involved in keeping things right. He certainly is capable of turning out great knives and has to know that these examples are lacking.

Sad thing with HTM is that their designs are cool, but almost everything else is not so much. It may be wise, if you love the design of the Gunhammer, to just buy the Meyerco version. Heard a whole lot of good about those.

At risk of sounding like a troll, it almost sounds like HTM is just a spoof company. If your main competition in the US for worse quality is Bear & Sons... one would have a hard time believing you were a company that sold $200+ knives. I really do hope HTM gets their stuff sorted, but it will be a very long road to reputation repair.

Looks like HTM has decided the best way to deal with all these complaints, is to ignore it. :confused:

The only thing I can say is that as a customer myself I can relate. The HTM forum knife did not live up to the expectations after all the issues, delays, and problems.

Amen to that. Lotta people are still very unhappy with that company and the way that all went down. Plenty of threads about it to peruse if you're so inclined (unless they've been scrubbed; I have no idea as I have nothing to do with DDR-HTM anymore). Not surprised to hear this.

Let's all hope they are at the very least working it out with the OP.

They are not. Not a word.

Whoever is "managing" their operation clearly thinks that customer service is not a priority. Even the two times they had me send it back it took a month for them to turn it around and then only when I finally inquired about the status. I emailed them the night I posted this thread after not hearing from them for over a month and linked this so they could defend themselves.

Here's what's up........they don't care what anyone here thinks. Knives at this price point should be 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Look at comparable items.....gun, knives, cars, whatever. Generally the high end products are supported by exemplary customer service. Not so with HTM.

It's nothing short of criminal. They know they suck but they keep taking people's money and not making it right.

I don't expect them to do anything for me at this point. I will make sure anyone that asks knows what kind of lowlife sham of an operation they are. That's what I'm getting for my $430.

It's sad that Camillus went belly up. I have had 8 Camillus MAXX's, 6-5.5"s and 2-7"s. They were all fine. I gifted 4 of them. I sent 2 to Darrel for custom blades. I also have some custom MAXX's. No problems with any of them. I have never knowingly handled an HTM knife. I guess that's a good thing.

Whoever is "managing" their operation clearly thinks that customer service is not a priority. Even the two times they had me send it back it took a month for them to turn it around and then only when I finally inquired about the status. I emailed them the night I posted this thread after not hearing from them for over a month and linked this so they could defend themselves.

Here's what's up........they don't care what anyone here thinks. Knives at this price point should be 100% satisfaction guaranteed. Look at comparable items.....gun, knives, cars, whatever. Generally the high end products are supported by exemplary customer service. Not so with HTM.

It's nothing short of criminal. They know they suck but they keep taking people's money and not making it right.

I don't expect them to do anything for me at this point. I will make sure anyone that asks knows what kind of lowlife sham of an operation they are. That's what I'm getting for my $430.

Sounds like they are putting the dollar before anything else. Too bad they don't realize it will dry up fast with that attitude. I read where one member that purchased a forum knife said the entire deal with those was nothing but a "cash grab".

You are 100% right and I feel your pain. I was in the shitestorm that was the forum knife and I had to file legal papers through my credit card company to get a refund. DDR-HTM refused to do the right thing and refund it themselves so I had to go legal. First time I've ever had to do that with a knifemaker.

I've never dealt with a more arrogant or incompetant bunch of people than the DDR-HTM crew. Then Ralph himself, after being invisible for over a year while we waited for news on the project for which he took almost 15k from the knife enthusiasts on these boards, proceeded to come on the boards in his forums and insult his customers with all kinds of childish and ignorant words.

This guy just does not get it.

Every single person who signed up for that ordeal should have gotten a full refund from them, a custom blade for free, and a handwritten apology from Ralphie boy. (I am only being a little facetious.)

I really wish they would close his forum and kick him off of here. If he were any other person--just a regular person doing deals in the sales area--he would have been put in the troll hole a long time ago and banned for the way he treated people. It's a disservice to promote his knives to innocent people who don't know what they are in for.

Sounds like they are putting the dollar before anything else. Too bad they don't realize it will dry up fast with that attitude. I read where one member that purchased a forum knife said the entire deal with those was nothing but a "cash grab".

I was a strong supporter at first, but after a while it was ridiculous. It did indeed look like a cash grab, more than likely to partially fund the move out of state. Only DR knows for sure, what I know is that I'm never spending a dime on their products.

How is it that they still have their own sub-forum here after everything mentioned in this and multiple other threads?

I was a strong supporter at first, but after a while it was ridiculous. It did indeed look like a cash grab, more than likely to partially fund the move out of state. Only DR knows for sure, what I know is that I'm never spending a dime on their products.

Hmmm, that's a good point! The thread for the Forum Blade they did made for some interesting reading and kept me occupied for a while! I remember when i was thinking about buying some of their knives a couple of years ago but ended up buying a CRK. After reading all of this, I will never buy from them unless they drop their prices to reflect the quality of work they seem to be putting out lately!

They couldn't drop their prices enough to compensate for their quality and the way they do business.

Seriously.....the worst experience I've ever had with any company in any business.

Definitely not many happy customers with HTM. I'm not one either. They definitely have some beautiful knives, but quality isn't there, and they're quite expensive. I bought a Desert Enforcer and the thing would not take an edge no matter what I did. At first I thought it was just my bad sharpening skills, but I tried again after I had gotten quite good. Nope still no edge. Then out of anger because of how much that knife cost me, I stabbed it into a tree stump and broke the tip. I haven never broken the tip off of a tanto before... Then it took forever for the rep to get back to me about getting it repaired. After I had sent it off, I made the request to grind it into a Spanto so it'll be a little more useful. A month and $25 later the knife came back to me. The grind lines were so bad that I had to take it to take my whetstone to clean it up some. Best part? The edge is still nonexistent.

They couldn't drop their prices enough to compensate for their quality and the way they do business.

Seriously.....the worst experience I've ever had with any company in any business.
I completely agree about HTM knives. HTM knives was the worst experience I have ever had with any company. HTM knives had the worst customer service of any place I have ever dealt with. HTM knives also had the worst quality of any factory knife I have seen. HTM knives put an edge on my folder that would have looked obtuse on a Busse fixed blade. In my opinion, you couldn't find a worse company to buy knives from than HTM knives. HTM knives.

From their website.....

OUR MISSION IS SIMPLE - To Build Affordable, High Tech, High Quality, Hand Crafted Products!

Let's see.... I'll give them high tech. The materials cover that.

Affordable .............. NO!

High Quality .............. HELL NO!

MISSION FAILED!

Apparently not so simple after all.

Man o' man o' man, did I get lucky!

I bought four HTM knives.
One Madd Maxx 5.5 Tux and two AXD's...one stonewashed and one tux.
Those three are as perfect as any production or custom I own.

The other Madd Maxx 5.5 I bought, has a couple of aesthetic flaws with the grind, but I got that at a good price from the original owner and the flaws don't jump out at you...still a great knife.

So sorry to hear all of the horror stories with the HTM's from other members.
I will say this...I contacted HTM with a simple question and I never heard back from them.
It wasn't a big deal, so I never tried a second time.

I hope the company turns their customer service problems around and starts treating customers with some respect.
Their products cost a good buck...the least they can do is address their customers' problems.

The best of luck to those who've encountered poor service from HTM.

Back