HTM Knives...why aren't they more popular??

The story was that the QA department was slipping up and they had all been replaced...... That was PRIOR to them moving. The forum knife was with their "new" QA crew. The reason I was confident in buying the forum knife was because of the stories that the QA crew had been replaced. My knife was pretty good actually except for the edge was more of a "Busse fixed blade" thickness than a pocket knife thickness. I had it reground by Big Chris. I can say I had an issue, emailed Lacey, and she sent a mailing slip right away. The problem fixed itself so I never had to send it. CS was great..... Too bad that so many that bought the forum knife had to use it...

I think some people don't appreciate being called f-tards by the owner of the company and then trying to ban people from BF for having legitimate customer service concerns.

I think some people don't appreciate being called f-tards by the owner of the company and then trying to ban people from BF for having legitimate customer service concerns.

I was considering buying an HTM. I was following the thread you are referencing and that made up my mind for me. Seem to be great knives, but you can't treat your customers that way.

I wondered the same thing for awhile. I have yet to try an HTM knife, but for the money they seem like very good knives and high quality. The QC from what I hear has been really great the last year or 2.

I want an HTM Madd Maxx 5.5 assisted! They open really fast!

I Just wish it came in a fully polished bling version. I don't think they are worth the asking price but there is simply nothing else in it's class short of a full DDR custom Madd Maxx which will run you about one large.

Recently I was about to get a Gun Hammer from an online retailer (seems to be the older GEN because it is S30V and only $180) but I ended up not buying after going through a few reviews in YouTube showing similar issues. Living in Spain I cannot afford to send my knife back and forth to the states to get it fixed. Some helpful HTM Fórum members suggested me to buy directly from HTM and having Lacey checking the knife before shipping. That could do it, however seems like the new GEN prices are somewhere arround $260...

They look great but if I had to pull the trigger right now, I will probably go with an equivalent knife from another manufacturer.

Mikel

I wondered the same thing for awhile. I have yet to try an HTM knife, but for the money they seem like very good knives and high quality. The QC from what I hear has been really great the last year or 2.

They compete in the same price range and category as ZT and frankly it's not even a close comparison when you consider the level of customer service, quality and features.

ZT hands down. I suggest you handle both before making 'for the money' arguments.

The moment I read that particular post by Darell was the exact moment that I said there is not a knife on the planet that he could create in any price range that would convince me to EVER do business with him. Uncouth, tactless, classless, and unbecoming of even the lowest intelligence quotient brackets.

My experience with the AXD 5.5" assisted folder was disappointing, considering the cost. It's the only knife I have returned to the seller more or less immediately upon purchase (I buy online, so I didn't have a chance to handle it before buying it)

My experience with the AXD 5.5" assisted folder was disappointing, considering the cost. It's the only knife I have returned to the seller more or less immediately upon purchase (I buy online, so I didn't have a chance to handle it before buying it)

What was wrong with it? I am wanting to buy one, but....

Last year i finally got a gunhammer,non assisted, & the second i took it out of the box, i hated it. it seemed very thick handled, & there was a huge cutout on the inside of the handle for the assisted mechanism if it was to be one, which i did not like . i sent it back the same day, i just didnt feel it was worth the asking price. i do have one of their maxx knives,5.5 & i have the opposite feelings about that one. its well made, early lockup centered blade,got it at a reduced price. i am a huge fan of the design of the maxx dagger & bowie blade.love that shape & style...

I cannot say you are wrong. But I have to admire Darrell for having the balls to say it lol. Right or wrong.

I really sell a lot of the Mad Maxx 3 to women for "self defense" even not knife lovers eyes light up when they touch it off.

I've disliked every ZT knife I've gotten my hands on to date. Not for the build quality, which is stellar, but the ergos aren't for me, and I simply hate the aggressive jimping and placement of such. The knives also feel like bricks in my hands. I also love my Gunhammers. I own 5, including the forum knife. But those are purely personal preferences, and many people love the very knives I've disliked. As has been mentioned, on the other hand, many people have had sharpness issues with HTM knives. That's not a problem for me, generally, because all of mine have come shaving sharp, and I have no issues doing my own sharpening. But, it's still worth paying attention to for some.

I'd probably be a bit wary of buying HTM knives from some of the larger retailers. Some retailers will check the knives and will take care of you. Others won't look at what they're sending out before it gets there, and there are definitely quite a few with bad QC floating around. I was unimpressed with the level of communication offered, and, while Darrel's designs are generally my favorites, I've been a bit soured by some of the recent happenings. I've had virtually no issues with any of mine, however. I'll likely pick up an AXD at some point, but that's going to be direct from HTM, and I'll follow my own advice and request a hand-picked one.

Time will tell how Darrel and crew will sort out their current customer service and quality control issues. I'd love to see them take a note from Kershaw or Ka-bar's customer service teams. I love that Ka-bar's designers and head engineers will come on the forums and chat with customers, and will always go out of their way to offer service to anyone who has had an issue. And Kershaw's customer service has always been stellar, and the quality is definitely excellent. There are definitely some designers and makers who I will never do business with because of their attitude. I sure hope Darrel and HTM doesn't end up in that crowd.

Too many brands in the same price range to take a chance with them again. Many guys I like and respect on this site went through a lot of grief with that horror show forum knife. I was lucky enough to ditch the gunhammer I got in a trade with full disclosure and not lose my shirt on it. I think the guy was better off sticking to full customs. Being a great knife maker and a good business man unfortunately don't always go hand in hand.
I have also been around long enough not too get sucked in on "super steels" at less than optimum heat treat. I use every knife I buy and I don't need a vanity plate on my knives to show my buddies. Russ

I learned a lesson about how fast the value of a knife will drop when a maker's reputation goes bad when I bought a Diamond J knife....right before they screwed over a bunch of people on here. Now the knife I have is practically worthless if I ever thought about selling it. Reputation matters for resale. Customer service is very important.

You need to read the threads about the forum knife, all the delays and problems and the appalling lack of custom service. A lot of people put their trust--and money--in their hands and were treated extremely poorly. Expoited really. And DDR-HTM never did anything to try and make good with us. I had to get my credit card company involved to get my money back from them. There are a lot of people who wish they could have done the same. No one is happy with the finished product that took a year to deliver, all the while watching other projects reach completion ahead of the forum knife, while all we were treated to was one excuse after another--and when the knife finally was delivered, it was very poorly made, a genuine rip-off considering it was a $360 semi-custom. Additionally, the exact same knife (with a slightly different handle color) appeared for sale on internet knife stores before delivery of the forum knife--priced almost $100 less!

The whole idea behind a forum knife is a company/maker does a special prestige project for this community of knifelovers who but their money and trust in a maker to do something special. In my opinion, this was nothing more than an easy money grab for DDR-HTM, who collected nearly $15k in sucker-money, then pumped out a shoddy production knife in their off-time, when they got around to it, possibly using untrained interns, who knows....

And it was one excuse after another. And it didn't matter that people were unhappy--you were NOT getting your money back.

I personally would never have anything to do with Darrel Ralph or his company ever again.

Oh--and this too! Very revealing as to the character of Mr. Ralph and how he chooses to treat paying customers with legit complaints.

Back