Hudson Bay camp knife

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
Well, I changed my knife order with Scott. I ordered a small EDC style Kephart, with a 3.5" blade of CPM154. This knife will be my go to, EDC blade. Not too big, not too small. Perfect size for me.

I had originally wanted a basic 8" Big Boar Tusker. I still want a BBT, but I changed my mind from the Tusker :foot:, to a Hudson Bay camp knife! Scott had originally finished the Terry Baublitz HBC I traded for at a powwow. Knife writer Dan Schectman had commissioned the knife from Terry before he passed away, and Dan brought it to Scott to finish up. I saw it at a powwow, and had no idea who made it, thinking it was a Dixie Gun Works kit knife. I brought it by Scott's campout, and asked a few of the guys in WSS who made it. Scott came over and the look on his face was priceless.

Anyway, this knife has cemented an admiration of all things Hudson Bay Company. I've got one of the Condor examples of this knife, a Snow and Nealy Hudson Bay pattern axe that is my favorite axe, and had, sadly, a Mike Mann Hudson Bay camp knife.

My only complaint about Terrys knife, is, that while it is period correct, it doesn't have any lanyard holes. I prefer to have a lanyard thong around my fingers, or hand, when chopping. Terry's knife is one of my favorite choppers.

I stopped by Scott's shop yesterday, and brought my Condor Hudson Bay, and my Baublitz Hudson Bay, and requested that Scott provide his own interpretation of the pattern. My only variation would be a thong hole in the front and back. I'm getting mine with A2, natural micarta scales and black liners. I figured a regular old sheath would be best, nothing fancy.

Scott told me that he had made a couple Hudson Bay camp knives, here are some to tide me-I mean you, over ;).

hb.jpg

hb2.jpg

Here is a pic of the only Roach Belly that Scott has made, next to my Baublitz Hudson Bay camp knife. I have a sickness, because the Roach Belly is gone, and the knife I traded it for is gone too. Oh well, go big or go home.
394311_488043117875460_453894564_n.jpg

Back