Hudson Bay Company knives

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I figured we need a Hudson Bay Company knives thread. The United States had the mountain man and the fur industry, moving from beaver to buffalo and many other animals in between. Many mountain men ventured west with their mother's old kitchen knives, or their fathers old farm knives. In Canada, the mountain men were called voyageurs, and were primarily employed by either the Hudson Bay Company, or the Northwest trade company. The Hudson Bay Company had some great knives made for them by the Sheffield Cutlers, and these knives were written about by British noblemen that came to check on their business on the other side of the pond. The voyageurs carried the giant camp knives and used them for hacking their way through the Canadian wilderness, skinning game and protection/fighting. Many different designs were used by the Hudson Bay Company, but the one I fell in love with, the one I can blame Dan Schectman for getting me addicted to, is the Hudson Bay Camp knife. Dan wrote an article on the design in the recent November/December edition of the Backwoodsman magazine. I traded into what I thought was a Dixie Gun Works kit knife at a powwow, and asked Scott Gossman if he knew what it was. It was Dan Schectmans sloppy seconds, which I seem to acquire here and there, sometimes from Dan himself. Dan and Scott both confirmed in person that it was a knife from Terry Baublitz, one of Dan's friends knives, who had passed at the time from cancer due to war injuries.

Over the years I have picked up examples of this pattern from different makers. I believe I have a Cold Steel version somewhere, the aforementioned Baublitz, a Gossman knives model, a Bark River HBC2 and a Condor which I am going to customize. I used to have several Mike Mann versions, the smaller Bark River and I believe another maker. It's pretty bad when you don't know which knives you have. These knives with a lanyard are great, without, it can get kinda hairy.

I want to see, especially from our northern brethren, your Hudson Bay knives. I had a belt knife version that Scott made for a raffle years ago, and I also had the Cold Steel version of this belt knife. The Roach Belly I believe.

Something that will send me into a tailspin, Dan mentioned that someone had an antique Hudson camp knife made in St Louis. So, that throws a wrench in the mix.

Perfect combo, Kephart and a Hudson Bay camp knife.

While we are waiting for pictures of the fixed-blade HBC knives, here's a surprise for some of you!!:eek:
(Others have seen it before;:rolleyes:)

HUDSONSBAYHJCOMPOSITE_zps1vibujni.jpg

I don't know a lot about it; just that it used to belong to Bernie Levine!

Now let's see some more pics!!!:)

I'm fascinated by the frontier. Currently I have few pieces that fit the theme, but I want to eventually get good kephart for the camping setup.

DNlvgo9.jpg

Right now I have the Hudson bay by Condor knife & tool. I really would not want to make the impression that I favor this knife because of my interest in these historical knives, but I darn just love it. :D It's perfect sized companion knife that is not too large to be cumbersome nor too small for little chopping chores. I could say it's easily my favorite fixed blade pattern.

This one isn't mine, but I took some pics of it a couple of years ago when visiting Paul Iseard at The Famous Sheffield Shop.

Some news for me here. I'd been aware of only the camp knife.

I wonder what they called that one by I Wilson.

Folders, fixed blades, axes, all are good. I'd love to get one of the Hudson Bay blankets, which it seems is the only thing the Hudson Bay company still sells that resembles their early days as a fur outfit. Looks like a Canadian Macy's from what I've seen of their website.

The Hudson camp knife not only looks cool, it is very functional.

I'm fascinated by the frontier. Currently I have few pieces that fit the theme, but I want to eventually get good kephart for the camping setup.

DNlvgo9.jpg

Right now I have the Hudson bay by Condor knife & tool. I really would not want to make the impression that I favor this knife because of my interest in these historical knives, but I darn just love it. :D It's perfect sized companion knife that is not too large to be cumbersome nor too small for little chopping chores. I could say it's easily my favorite fixed blade pattern.

I've always said that I'm okay with nostalgia. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be into traditional knives.

DNlvgo9.jpg

I hadn't really given this Condor much consideration before seeing this photo, but now I think I want one.

Back