HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT

Cobalt

Gold Member
Ok, I was out testing my new BM. Jammed the tip into a log about 1/2 inch deep and pried with it. The log splintered with no damage to the blade. I did this again and again with the same results.

This should not have happened. The knife should have broke according to what I'm told by other knife people. Jerry, you sold me a knife that is stronger than it has to be. I want my money back and compensation for all the good wood I destroyed. $1000 should do it.
smile.gif

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Cobalt, you really had me going there for a sec. Geez, that was pretty good. Good thing Jerry is young enough that he won't panic and "vapor lock" when he sees "HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT" for a thread name. LOL!

You're such a troublemaker sometimes, ya know that?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Thanks for getting the plaque moving in my heart Cobalt
smile.gif

Seriously though, I'm glad you like your knife. Welcome to the world of Nuclear Toughness...

Yours in woodchips...

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Fax: 1-201-493-2039
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Busse Combat Variant Temp. HQ http://home.earthlink.net/~gregrnamin/andy/sharper.htm

Sharper Instinct Website www.sharperinstinct.com

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any heart attacks.

By the way, is it ok to spread chunky peanut butter with a Busse knife?

The unique blade geometry of Busse knives allows it to easily spread chunky or creamy peanut butter. In a recent field trial of the Battle Mistress I was able to make over 35,000,000 sandwiches with only minor effects to the blade. A few strokes on a piece of white wonderbread soon restored the edge to "spreading sharp". I also coated the blade with two pounds of extra-crunchy Jif and left it for 15 days. The blade showed no sign of corrosion, but the peanut butter was nasty. I plan to try Jelly this week and for our friends Down Under, Vegemite.

Yours in Nuclear Sandwich Spreads

JDS, LOL!

But now a question for you. When you stuck the knife n the chunky peanut butter, did you pull it out from side to side? Also, did the peanut chunks chip the edge at all? Was the bread toasted or natural? Toasted offers more abrasion. Also, try preserves instead of jelly. The fruit chunks like to stick to the edge causing increased wear.
smile.gif

After reading the chunky peanut butter post,
I am totaly sold. Pretty damn funny guys!
laughing.gif

------------------
"KEEP IT SIMPLE"

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way"

I would also like to add that I have had excellent results in spreading cream cheese with my new Mean Street. The CC spreads easily and smoothly, even when loaded up with bits of sun-dried tomatoes and chives.

The ultimate test, however, was the cutting open of day-old bagels prior to the cream cheese testing. I wasn't sure what to expect, as my Mean Street is one of the newer, slimmer designs made from .220" stock, and I was concerned that the thinner edge geometry might not stand up to this testing. Keep in mind that these were bagels from Elaine's in Berkley, Michigan. Two-day old bagels are sent to a local stamping plant to be used as caster wheels for roll-around storage carts in the factory. I cut a number of "smooth" bagels, from sesame to egg and a cheese, with no noticable degradation in cutting characteristics. The ultimate testing came with the cutting of several whole wheat honey-almond bagels. Thinking that the heavy roughage of these bagels would turn the edge or reduce the cutting effectiveness, I was pleasantly surprised when the Mean Street came through with flying colors, and easily shredded a couple of the napkins left over from the deli.

I was also quite impressed with the grip-ability of the new checkered handle design. Even after coming in contact with some butter spread on two extra egg bagels, I found no adverse slippage, and I could easily follow the outer contours of the bagel.

Kudos to the whole Busse gang on their excellent Busse Bagel Butterer.

We'll try it on some drywall next weekend. The Busse, not the bagels.

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

First I read where you drop my knives from 25 foot high rooftops and now lateral flexing in chunky peanut butter? Oh, the Humanity! Please remember, that they are knives, NOT cats!

I would like to note that I only make knives for you guys and in no way should be judged "guilty by association".

Question: When the voices come, (Oh, and it is obvious that they do come frequently) are they in english?

Yours in Nuclear Peanut Butter,
Jerry Busse

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 03-28-2000).]

Busse Battle Mistress vs. Fluffy the Cat

Jerry's reply reminded me of another recent field trial comparing the BM to household cats. Chopping ability, drop survival, edge retention, and corrosion resistance were evaluated.

As you might expect, the BM excelled in all categories except corrosion resistance. No matter how long I left the cat in saltwater, I just couldn't get it to rust.

As far as edge retention go, it is quite difficult to get a shaving edge on a feline, but a scratching edge is no problem.

Despite the excellent grip provided by the tail, I finally had to give up on chopping a 2X4 with the cat, as no visisble damage was observed on the wood. The cat however showed considerable signs of wear.

Dropping from a height of 25 feet did not damage the BM or the cat. The cat let out a really cool scream on the way down and I found this lacking in the BM. After the drop, the cat was visibly disturbed, while the BM was very collected.

All in all I would say that a BM or any of the busse knives are more useful in the field than fluffy, after all, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Jeff

BTW: It is also very difficult to spead peanut butter with a cat. And no Jerry, the voices are in Esperanto.

I'm thinking about using my cats to show the shaving capability of my Busses to my friends(just because if I continue to use my arms, it will look like I have some hairy patch arm disease).

The great thing about talking to yourself is that you need no one else to carpool with.

Jerry, I know you had to be talking to yourself when you came up with the mean street. The dam thing is thicker than it is long. I was actually thinking of using it as a rock climbing Piton. You must have had a big elephant hair up your butt when you designed that one. Simply awesome little knife.

:
I read in the Foxfire books where cat skins made good banjo heads. I like the idea of useing the cat for sheaths though.
I wonder what breed would make a good sheath for my basic 9?

They would also make it a very unique multiple carry system.
redface.gif

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

The hardy adventurer just drank from a stream he thought was pure glacier fed water not knowing that upstream was being used by a herd of yaks as a giant bidet.

I said he was hardy, not smart.:)

Khukuri FAQ

Cobalt :

[mean street]

I was actually thinking of using it as a rock climbing Piton.

Since you brought it up, my brother uses the Basic to climb trees by driving the blade in and walking on the handle. Did the same thing with the CS blades as well, but had to be real careful there as you need to drive the edge in real close to the handle as the tip will not support the torque.

-Cliff

Cliff, I'm sure you could easily do that with the mean street with no appreciable effect. Think of that little knife with the thickness of it's full size brethren.

Cobalt,

The "Mean Street" was originally going to be named the "Railroad Spike" but we were afraid the confusion would be too great and too many of them would actually be used to hold down rails.

It, by the way, was designed to look somewhat like a "pony keg". Almost as wide as it is long. This subliminally attracts those individuals who are thirsty for a beer and, somewhat unknowingly, purchase a Mean Street to satiate their thirst. Works every time.

Anyone thirsty? Andy has Desert Warfare Beer. . . errrr I meant Mean Streets. . .Desert Warfare Mean Streets. . . yeah. . . .that's what I meant. (See, it's working!)

Yours in micarta handled pony kegs,
Jerry Busse

[This message has been edited by Jerry Busse (edited 03-29-2000).]

I am so glad that I am not the only one afflicted with this madness. Every time I hear the voices, they all say the same ......Buy another Busse !!! I am getting much better now, thank you, as Andy can confirm. This is all because I now order Busse's pro-actively to ensure the voices remain quiet... and they do, as long as I have a Busse or two on back order.

I was also initially disappointed with my Busse. That was the original SH II in A2. Despite claims about INFI, I have never had to doubt my old SH. The disappointment was that my second gift to myself at the 96 SOF show where I met Jerry, was a Lansky diamond kit. By the time I needed that, I couldn't find it anymore and the stones have been fossilized due to age, when I found it.

All in all ..... Be careful what you wish for .....you may yet get it !!!

PS : Anybody looking for a fossilized Lansky kit .... nearly new, hardly used ;-)

Jerry, those would have been the most expensive railroad spikes ever. I'm not normally a small knife person, but that little mean street has won me over.

Aubrey, weren't you around a while back before I left? Nice to hear from you. Tough knives are definitely habit forming. There is something about a knife that can take a lot of abuse and keep on working, that is so attractive to some of us.

Hi Cobalt

Today I feel as if I have been around for ever ...must be old age or my addiction is getting worse. To feed my nasty Busse habit I have to work and that means frequent travel .....trust me, the Internet is not big in Africa so my surf time is limited.

Kind regards

Aubrey

Back