Hunters - Do you use a folder or a fixed blade for field processing?

Hunters - Do you use a folder or a fixed blade for field processing?

• Folder

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Fixed Blade

Votes: 53 81.5%

• Total voters

K.B. Knifeworks

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey all - just a general question for the BF hunters. Do you use a folder or a fixed blade for field processing? Mostly asking for those that hunt small to medium game but if you find yourself regularly processing a moose or elephant feel free to also share. Also drop a comment on what your preferred folder or FB is for the task.

Depends on what you mean by "field processing". For me, medium sized game equates to whitetail deer size and I just did the field chores (often with a folder for years), dragged the deer out to my vehicle and hauled to a butcher to finish "processing" into usable sized chunks of meat.

If I were doing all the processing in the field, I would do the same thing, except drag the animal to camp and begin the skinning and processing.... small knife for skinning and larger for cutting up meat.

I don't hunt much anymore, but I went with a small fixed blade for general hunting and field chores with a traditional folder backup such as a GEC #42 knife. For years, I simply carried a normal size jack knife in the woods, used it, and cleaned it. I eventually moved to a Schrade 250T (Buck 110 size) which I preferred for whitetail deer. Then came the fixed blade.....

While a folder will work a fixed blade has less moving parts to gunk up. I no longer hunt but when I did I always had a small fixed blade on me with a comfortable handle.
Yessir, a folder will work in a pinch but I always make sure I have a fixed blade on me! I’m not sure how this fall is going to turn out, the entire area I got drawn for any bull elk this year is on fire bad!!

i have used folders, but prefer a fixed blade for all processing of game.

deer, bear, turkey - and the little guys too

**edit - reread the OP
my current knife is a buck paklite skinner.
I like the shape and size of it, and it fits easily in a pocket or pack.

Last edited:
Most of the deer and medium to large game I have field dressed and skinned were done with a Buck 110. I have used some fixed blades and they are better for keeping them clean and less to worry about but they are also usually larger. I prefer a more compact knife to carry and they really aren’t that difficult to clean.

I've always used folders for field dressing. I don't like very long blades working with both hands close to each other, prefer a 3-3.5" folder for gutting and field work, that's for both elk and deer. A couple years ago I tried a longer blade and nicked myself a few times working inside the cavity of an elk. Many years ago I nicked the top of one of the knuckles on my little finger working up an elk. I'd just gotten over a bout of pneumonia and apparently my system wasn't super healthy yet. Got a pretty bad infection, my little finger swelled up the size of my thumb and started getting red lines running up my arm.

Even for skinning I don't care for a knife over 4", I can split the brisket on an elk w/a good folder. I clean them out real good afterward. Bear are usually the worse when it come to 'greasing' up your knife but it's bear grease so.....good stuff!

I usually carry at least 2 'good' knives, I like having them in my pocket, lost too much stuff running around the woods.

I’ve used both. As has been said fixed blades are easier to keep clean but folders are more comfortable for me to carry. I have used a Buck 110 more than any other as well as a Case Trapper a lot. As long as I have access to a sink with hot running water cleaning up a folder isn’t that bad.

I haven't really hunter much at all in recent years but when I was younger, I was an avoid deer hunter. I always used a fixed blade. It was just easier and didn't get gunked up. Granted I wasn't into folders like I am now but if I ever do need to field dress a deer again, I would still reach for a fixed blade.

That being said, a contestant on the show "Alone" just completely butchered a decent sized moose with a leatherman by himself. That was impressive.

Lionsteel M4 here for the animal but I do bring one of my para 2s for smaller miscellaneous camp tasks

For whitetail , I switched to a folding hunter ( Buck 110 or Bear & Sons ) years ago.
But as someone mentioned , cleaning a fixed blade is easier.

I have in an unexpected situation field dressed and broken it down with only a Lakota backlock folder and a SAK Farmer ...

given the choice a fixed blade every time ... a midsized to small fixed blade is my preference ... but I could go up to a CPK HDFK ... or a Becker BK9 and accomplish what is needed ... hell I've used a GB Wildlife Hatchet to field dress and breakdown a mule deer before ...

But the 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" fixed blade is the sweet spot for me especially for deer sized game ... and still works well on small game ...

Just MHO ... it can be done with any sharp knife and is alot of personal preference ... I have a friend that does not even own a fixed blade knife (outside of the kitchen) ... he always uses a folder for everything.

Folder for deer field dressing. Usually a Benchmade 710 in M390 though sometimes I mix it up... Spyderco Military or Hungarian or Endura, or a Benchmade 806 all do alright as well.

Once I get it back to where we hang and butcher I switch over to a Spyderco Sprig. I've used the Sprig in the field before but it's honestly a little large for smaller deer. 710 is just the right size. Tried a smaller fixed blade in a BRKT Bird and Trout Elmax once...very tough, good size, but laughable wear resistance compared to the M390 710 or S90V Sprig.

Spyderco textured FRN does tend to collect blood/fat in the texture. Other than that haven't had much of a problem with folders getting messy or jammed up or hard to clean.

Been using my good old Spyderco Bill Moran drop point since it first was released. It is light weight, has great feel, good edge holding for the entire field dressing of a whitetail, and price was right. I don't like the big bowies some carry, and I don't want to get my Gayle Bradley EDC all gunked up.

I use both folders and fixed blades to processs game but generally prefer fixed blades. I use a Grohmann #3, Puma Hunter's Pal, Outdoor Edge, and Buck 110.

I use a Cabelas (Buck) Alaskan Guide PBS Crosslock with a saw blade. It works great on deer and the saw does a nice job when splitting the pelvis.
HRuJL2Y.jpg

Fixed blade about 3 and half or 4 inches also. I tried a Randall 14 years ago when I was young and yea.... that didn't go so well. :rolleyes:

Back