Huntin with your Traditional Knives

fxkovkv.jpg

Small drop point in stag; 7-1/16" OAL, originally by Russell Easler but heavily modified by me. Great functionality and the best handling knife I have to date on small game, but I killed the monetary value of the knife by altering it. More valuable to me though.

315 315 Good luck on your hunt, I want to go just for the scenery haha.

J jmarston , congratulations on the moose. A woman at my work used to make lasagna for us every year after husband got back from his moose trips. Haven’t had it in a few years as she retired, but I can still taste it lol.

Well I just read 20 pages of this, definitely one of the best threads Ive seen on here. Great stories, pics and cool knives in use. Great stuff!

Last edited:
We can’t hunt squirrels where I live now but grew up hunting them in Wisconsin, always a lot of fun!!

Is that an old steel tube weaver?

Indeed it is, it was sitting atop the Sako P72 when I got it and decided it was good enough for me. It’s pretty clear for its age and holds a zero well.

I’d like to think that the previous owner decimated his squirrel hollow and sharpened down too many Case peanuts to nothing, but needles and decided to pass it on.

Venison has fed my family since before I could walk, a tag filled meant there was money in the bank for a tank of gas to get to work instead of the grocery store. My Dad’s knives were utilitarian and simple, a Buck 422 and a 119 took care of things just as well as my stag scaled custom made slip joints have... but they didn’t look as good doing it.
They took a beating and kept on ticking, season after season; field dress, skin, quarter, repeat.... etc.

Times aren’t as tough for my wife and I as it was back then,but the blessing of venison is still more than a change in table fair. It’s a dollar saved and a dollar earned. My knives that cost as much as my dad’s old hunting rifle earn thier keep and decrease thier cost of living to be in my stable, but lately I’ve fallen into a habit, or rather, I’ve just now come to the realization that “lately” is nearly a full decade of habit.

Since late 2008 I’ve been using a #73L Great Eastern Cutlery Scout. A decade of deer cleaning with the same model. Two knives have split the lion share of work, a pumpkin bone Tidioute and a stag scaled Northfield. These knives just work for me and they do it without causing a headache. I know satisfaction saves me money as I haven’t searched for a new “hunting” knife in years... now if I could just find the perfect pocket knife....
494C4F05-1EB2-4088-AC85-8BD276E262BF.jpeg

.... thankfully there is venison in the chili and money in the bank.

Venison has fed my family since before I could walk, a tag filled meant there was money in the bank for a tank of gas to get to work instead of the grocery store. My Dad’s knives were utilitarian and simple, a Buck 422 and a 119 took care of things just as well as my stag scaled custom made slip joints have... but they didn’t look as good doing it.
They took a beating and kept on ticking, season after season; field dress, skin, quarter, repeat.... etc.

Times aren’t as tough for my wife and I as it was back then,but the blessing of venison is still more than a change in table fair. It’s a dollar saved and a dollar earned. My knives that cost as much as my dad’s old hunting rifle earn thier keep and decrease thier cost of living to be in my stable, but lately I’ve fallen into a habit, or rather, I’ve just now come to the realization that “lately” is nearly a full decade of habit.

Since late 2008 I’ve been using a #73L Great Eastern Cutlery Scout. A decade of deer cleaning with the same model. Two knives have split the lion share of work, a pumpkin bone Tidioute and a stag scaled Northfield. These knives just work for me and they do it without causing a headache. I know satisfaction saves me money as I haven’t searched for a new “hunting” knife in years... now if I could just find the perfect pocket knife....
View attachment 1003000

.... thankfully there is venison in the chili and money in the bank.
Very well written Johnny good to see the 73 still hard at it,Love the Sako...Bob

I got home from work this morning (midnight shift), reheat the leftover coffee, filled the thermos and grabbed the CZ. It was about 60 degrees this morning and switched back and forth from a mist to a full on rain. There was a slight breeze that came and went all morning long.

I usually still hunt down the hollow until I get to my usual spot, but with the rain being a threat I decided to head straight for our deer stand that sits along the woodlot I like to squirrel hunt in. Our stand sits about 20” off the ground on 6x6s cemented into the ground, so I had a decent view right out the back window at some good squirrel trees and I had a nice clear shot to the forest floor below. It was still relatively dark when I got the the Ghetto (our stands have names) so I lit and cigarette and sipped some coffee.

Time passed slowly, but the wind calmed down and it was just misting out. Pretty soon I heard the tell tale sound of a bushytail scurrying across the leaves. I looked out the back window and had a small gray sitting about 15 yards away, I was getting ready to shoot when I saw an even bigger gray sitting at window level on a limb about 5 feet off the end of my barrel. I’m not proud to admit it, but I missed him after swinging the gun in his direction. I’m not used to shooting them out of my lap.

At the bark of the 22. The first smaller gray froze, I turned back and made a clean head shot, the second bigger gray took off down the hill and climbed a den tree, he gave me a few shot opportunities once he was on the tree, but I couldn't get a shot off before he would climb higher up the tree. He finally went back in the den, I just sat back and let the woods calm down.

My view.
47EAB23E-62D3-4380-9415-66DED5671FC2.jpeg

Back