Huntin with your Traditional Knives

Not too long after I heard another one bounding across the leaves. It took a few seconds of tracing his movement in the scope before he settles on the Y of a small sapling, another clean head shot and two grays were bagged.

I left the stand an hour later without seeing anything else from my perch. As I was making my way to my first squirrel, I kept an eye pealed. I saw the tail of a squirrel draped over broken limb on a big okay. I whistled until he looked and made another head shot. I walked over to pick up my quarry when I saw another small gray upside down and scanning the area, he was on the same tree as my third kill. I knocked him off the tree with another head shot and my rifle was now empty, I didn’t reload as my game pouch was already getting heavy and I didn’t need the temptation if the opportunity presented itself again.
7A137FA2-3719-4AB1-AC64-C79BD39EA249.jpeg

I used the tail method to skin these ones out and I’ll never look back. My technique needs some tweaking, but I’m already more effiecent this way then I ever was before with the center cut, rabbit method.
B11FAF15-602F-49B2-BC63-EA47DB3DFB2D.jpeg

I used my Buck 102 to cut the feet and head off as I didn’t want to ruin the razor edge @315 s Frontier. I trimmed the rib meat off and pulled the guts out mess free.
D90EB335-3619-4550-BCE3-48888A753873.jpeg

I’ll boil them and grill them up this weekend when my parents are back.

Squirrel hunting is about my favorite thing. Great storytelling and pics, johnny, thank you!

I started my season last week and have bagged 6 fox squirrels so far. Gave a GEC 65 Ben Hogan a chance to do some skinning and I will be going back to the 54 Big Jack I have been using. I use the good ol' center cut, I have tried the tail method and really ended up making a mess.

I really wanted to use my grandfather’s Ruger 77/22, but after getting it back from my brother on Sunday I realized he adjusted the scope for his wife to shoot farther distances at coons. I need to take some range time; maybe tomorrow I’ll get myself sighted back in. It would have been perfect for the wet environment I was hunting today.
18D8962C-8371-49EB-A92F-21368021557F.jpeg

I’d like to get a few with this one and field dress them with Pappy’s Buck 704.

Squirrel hunting is about my favorite thing. Great storytelling and pics, johnny, thank you!

I started my season last week and have bagged 6 fox squirrels so far. Gave a GEC 65 Ben Hogan a chance to do some skinning and I will be going back to the 54 Big Jack I have been using. I use the good ol' center cut, I have tried the tail method and really ended up making a mess.

Saturday morning when my brother and I were in the stand after whitetails there were a couple huge fox squirrels taunting me. My hunt this morning was intended to bring them back in my game pouch.

Which blade do you like to use on your #54, I have one and I’m thinking the big spear point would be perfect.

Although the Frontier stockman I was using felt really natural in use.

Saturday morning when my brother and I were in the stand after whitetails there were a couple huge fox squirrels taunting me. My hunt this morning was intended to bring them back in my game pouch.

Which blade do you like to use on your #54, I have one and I’m thinking the big spear point would be perfect.

Although the Frontier stockman I was using felt really natural in use.
I have tried both, and prefer the clip. The angle of the blade works well for the "ribcage split" I use.

I love that 77/22! The "boat-paddle" is a classic! I used a stainless 77/22 on my first hunt last week, then switched to my CZ 455 fullstock on Saturday.

I have tried both, and prefer the clip. The angle of the blade works well for the "ribcage split" I use.

I love that 77/22! The "boat-paddle" is a classic! I used a stainless 77/22 on my first hunt last week, then switched to my CZ 455 fullstock on Saturday.

In a way the 77/22 boat paddle is, at least for me, butt ugly. I’ll take a plain piece of wood over a synthetic stock almost any day, but my grandfather loved his and I learned a lot of envy from him. The stories he told about it made me want one and I let him know on multiple occasion I would take it off his hands, but he wouldn’t budge.

In a similar way the black and stainless reminds me so much of the Buck phenolic and 420HC classics. My Buck 102 has brass hardware and cocobolo because I like natural materials, but again I coveted my Dad’s 102 and 119 with the black phenolic.

0202758B-4EB4-4BC3-AFEE-D488520F19B8.jpeg
My full stock CZ that did all the killing and a Tidioute #48. I’ll have to give my Big Jack a try.

Doin some small game hunting here in PA but not much activity so I thought I'd take sec to share my new knife.

Speaking of black synthetic and stainless, does anybody remember this hit from the '60s?

pqioiph.jpg

Remington Nylon '66 Apache Black, 22LR. This was the first firearm that I really lusted after as a kid, seeing the ads in Field & Stream and Sports Afield that my grandpa had subscriptions to. My Ruger 10/22 was a better rifle, but not as bad a$$!! ;)

Good luck out in the woods everyone...and the fields of course! D Duckdog I’ve mentioned to some friends about taking a trip out west for some pheasant hunting. I’d take a grouse hunt as well.

johnny twoshoes johnny twoshoes Boy the weather sure has had its mood swings lately lol. Should be a good day to archery hunt tomorrow and I’ll be sure to grab some pics.

Speaking of black synthetic and stainless, does anybody remember this hit from the '60s?

pqioiph.jpg

Remington Nylon '66 Apache Black, 22LR. This was the first firearm that I really lusted after as a kid, seeing the ads in Field & Stream and Sports Afield that my grandpa had subscriptions to. My Ruger 10/22 was a better rifle, but not as bad a$$!! ;)
Yeah those are collectors today.

pqioiph.jpg

I wanted one of those so bad!

Good year hunting so far! I was fortunate enough to draw a cow elk tag in an area about 45 miles from home.... I got a nice, fat 3.5 year old cow the first morning out. No pics of the caping and quartering, but my landi PSK did all that work (my mora companion took off the back straps) without a touch up
Landi PSK.jpg

20181020_154729-2124x3002.jpg

Edited for scenery...

43163694_10213017447016193_8534972110261452800_o.jpg

Then i used a big assortment for butchering...

20181006_131023-1588x1063.jpg

Everything worked well, except for my deep freeze... I ran out of room with about 25lbs of meat left over

20181020_160800-1543x868.jpg

Then today I used my vintage Buck 501 on pheasants and quail...

20181020_144251-2124x1179.jpg

Great bounty this year :D

Last edited:
My wife and I went out for the last day of in-line antlerless deer. We got out there about an hour before daylight and jumped a big doe in the darkness of the early morning. She waited until we were only about 5 feet away before hopping up and running off.

Daylight broke and the morning was slow, but it was great sharing the morning with my wife regardless. I caught some motion out across the field, it was a small doe feeding out into the field. We watched her for a while, but I felt no need to punch my tag on her, but then big mama stepped into the field. I miss ranged the shot and passed on her when she was well in range. The topography had me guessing she was at 200 yards and I didn’t feel like taking that shot with the inline.
D8136F70-7DF0-4174-971C-7B3958651CF6.jpeg

She was a Clydesdale though and would have been good for the freezer.

The last hour of daylight my dad bagged a small doe, a good eating deer. We had some backstraps off my moms doe for dinner before I went down to the grainery to skin her out. #73L performed perfectly and the headlamp on my cap lit the way in the wind and rain.
15150F1B-1913-4C74-B700-3264E3CFA182.jpeg

My wife and I went out for the last day of in-line antlerless deer. We got out there about an hour before daylight and jumped a big doe in the darkness of the early morning. She waited until we were only about 5 feet away before hopping up and running off.

Daylight broke and the morning was slow, but it was great sharing the morning with my wife regardless. I caught some motion out across the field, it was a small doe feeding out into the field. We watched her for a while, but I felt no need to punch my tag on her, but then big mama stepped into the field. I miss ranged the shot and passed on her when she was well in range. The topography had me guessing she was at 200 yards and I didn’t feel like taking that shot with the inline.
View attachment 1006914

She was a Clydesdale though and would have been good for the freezer.

The last hour of daylight my dad bagged a small doe, a good eating deer. We had some backstraps off my moms doe for dinner before I went down to the grainery to skin her out. #73L performed perfectly and the headlamp on my cap lit the way in the wind and rain.
View attachment 1006931
I have been curious about gutting and skinning with gec's 1095. Do you have to touch up the edge while skinning?

I have been curious about gutting and skinning with gec's 1095. Do you have to touch up the edge while skinning?

So far I’ve field dressed and quartered a big doe with this one and now skinned a smaller doe with it. The knife is too sharp at this point and is extremely unforgiving on the hide and meat, when it starts cutting it doesn’t want to stop.

The knife is still hair shaving sharp, but I still strop it on a leather loaded with green compound. It keeps the edge clean and cutting well. I’ve been using GEC’s 1095 for hunting for nearly a decade now, I’ve had great results.

Last year I field dressed four different deer, skinned 5 and quartered 2 with this one, by the end of the season it was ready to be touched up, but it could have gone farther.

So far I’ve field dressed and quartered a big doe with this one and now skinned a smaller doe with it. The knife is too sharp at this point and is extremely unforgiving on the hide and meat, when it starts cutting it doesn’t want to stop.

The knife is still hair shaving sharp, but I still strop it on a leather loaded with green compound. It keeps the edge clean and cutting well. I’ve been using GEC’s 1095 for hunting for nearly a decade now, I’ve had great results.

Last year I field dressed four different deer, skinned 5 and quartered 2 with this one, by the end of the season it was ready to be touched up, but it could have gone farther.
Wow that's awesome! Thanks!

Back