Hunting and camping trip

bucklife 301 German bakers really prized bear fat for pastries but I never have bear meat..Here in Florida officials are seriously considering public hunts again as in some areas they are becoming a real nuisance and now 1/2 of state is considered bear habitat. I seen the back end of one below Gainesville 30 years ago deer hunting but didn't want to take a Texas heart shot..

Every year before I head to bear camp I struggle so bad in what knives to take. Usually take 6 and carry one or 2 everyday and rotate them daily. Lol. Being a knife addict is so silly but I can’t help it. I stay at a cabin so it’s no big deal as I don’t have to lug them all while hunting. But I feel I should take one good folder and one good fixed blade and be done with it but never happens that way.

The bad thing about taking the knives I took was my buddy’s wanted to buy them Lol. I did end up selling two of my knives cause they just had to have them sold my 117 and 103 that I only had for like 3 days. Even tho I didn’t kill anything I still had a good time and eat good. Two guys just got back from Alaska on a caribou hunt and brought some to they made caribou stew and it was delicious. Caribou sausage of all kinds summer, pepperoni, and some others it was good.

Bear and turkey breast over the fire dang it was good View attachment 1213772
Sounds like a great hunt.

When I take a Buck hunting, I use a 110. Thats my favorite, and I dont much like their fixed blades. The handles are so square and tapered, they dont fit my hand well... :( I love my 110 though. Plus the blade shape and size is just right for hunting work, or using around camp. Id like to get a fancier version one day, maybe a carbon steel or something.

Last edited:

When I take a Buck hunting, I use a 110. Thats my favorite, and I dont much like their fixed blades. The handles are so square and tapered, they dont fit my hand well... :( I love my 110 though. Plus the blade shape and size is just right for hunting work, or using around camp. Id like to get a fancier version one day, maybe a carbon steel or something.

Try a 101.......you'll like it.

They have many more fixed blade hunting knives tha the traditional 100 series.
The max lite is one of my favorites and the open season series.
The new pursuit feels good.
Then theres the vanguard, etc.

Back from elk camp this past Thursday, unsuccessful but very enjoyable. I took several Bucks with me, loaning the AG Vanguard to my neighbor for his first every big game hunt. He did get a fleeting glimpse of a cow elk as she darted back into the steep and deep.
I carried a 101 and 105.
IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

Nice rifle! Always liked the Model 70 - Winchester Repeating Arms Co. is the Buck Knives of the rifle world. OH

Yes, Winchesters are now made by Fabrique Nationale of Belgium and the Browning Arms Company of from Ogden, Utah.

How fitting and a little ironic that the association between Browning and Winchester has come full circle and they're back together after more than a century.

That heavy weather model is made in Portugal and is one of the best Model 70s ever made........a shocking fact in these days when inferior products have flooded the outdoor market.

I agree, Winchester is a lot like Buck Knives.

I too, own a Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Winchester and it is shockingly accurate either offhand or from the bench.

Ps. I remember reading an article that for a few years (after the old WRA plant in CT closed) that they made the M70 in an FN machine gun plant off Clemson Road in Columbia SC. I have also read that they are now made in the Browning rifle plant in Portugal. The one pictured above was made in CT in 1963 per the serial number - it started out as a 30-06 SPRG but I had it rebarreled to 270 WIN with a Douglas barrel. OH

Back