Hunting dogs

Anyone here use dogs to hunt if so what game and breed?

I’m mostly a upland hunter. I use a vizsla for pheasant, quail, chukar and dove retievial here in Southern California and in Mexico.

The Vizsla is quite the hunting dog. As are Weimaraners.
I've hunted hogs with a knife. Dogs were used. I forget the breeds. Maybe Bluetick etc.
Apart from that years of bird hunting and deer hunting with a plethora of dog breeds. Off the top of my head; German Wire Haired, Wire Haired Dachshund, Lab Retreiver, Cocker Spaniel, Springer, Pointer, Small Münsterländer, Irsh and Gordon Setter, German Hunting Terrier, Jack Russel, Beagles, Brittany, Spinone, Griffon and I'm sure a bunch of others. What ever the owners/hunters preferred.
One small but indomitable and almost knee high mutt stands out from when hunting wart hogs in Africa. Breed undetermined.

Getting your game is nice but I have come to enjoy watching dogs work way more.

^Can I 'like' this post about a thousand times please?! It's all about the dogs, and the game produced by good dogs and a good handler is the bonus. Here's a picture of my Zeke dog, long gone now, but a one-dog bear pack in his day.

MaEmgiql.jpg

Pig-dogs.jpg

My knife, my mate's dogs, can't remember breed. The second one from the right 'Red' was killed not long after that when a boar sliced a vein on his leg with its tusks and he bled out. Sad, he was a good pig dog.

I had a German Shorthaired Pointer for 16 years that I used to hunt Upland Game Birds. He was a great hunter, and pet, but I had to sadly put him down due to old age. That's the problem with dogs, they don't live long enough. I am going to get another one, as I really like the breed.

Vizslas are great dogs too, and I wouldn't mind having one someday also.

My last gun dog was put down the day after father's day 2 years ago Retta was a copper beagle she was 15 and a half. I dug her grave on father's day. Sure was glad I was raining that day. Since it doesn't feel right without a little hound around and I don't have a good place to hunt I rescued a beagle . Abby is gamey and I have no doubt if I had her as a puppy she would have been a good rabbit dog . She does duty guarding the garden and being there for petting as needed

They are fun. My dog has been on birds since 4 month with help from trainer he learned quick. Wasn’t a normal training dog thing, trainer would show me what to do. We would work on that then come back. Trainer spent more time at first teaching me how to read and work him. He was birdy as soon as he hit the ground. Only took one or two sessions on whoa post to get him to hold. Picked up quartering quick as well. He didn’t wanna retrieve so he had to be force fetched. However all in all he learned quick. Trusted him by one year. He definatally turns it on and off. When he get collared up he knows it’s time to work, he is independent and does his job with gusto At home he is a normal lap dog or Velcro dog.

Last edited:
:Dyeah, they are not the most active dogs around.
That last pic: "Give me the Milkbone now or Ill pee in your Reeboks."

I have three Vizslas and they can be addictive. If you like to go to the bathroom by yourself or need space, this is not the breed for you. If you want a great hunting dog and companion, they are in my mind in the top of the list.

For sure. All these dogs are hard in their own way. My vizsla won’t go catch a bore but will go and go in serious heat. He will Be exhausted and if I send him again, He goes. Hunting In mexicali we are always watching for heat exhaustion and our upland dog will go till they drop. When we rotate them they are never happy to be in kennels during any action.
I do like the honor scar stories, these dogs earn them.

Back