Hunting gear: firearms

Long ago, I sold off all my "hunting only" type firearms. Now I hunt with combat rifle and pistol. It's more of a challenge and it saves me the hassle and cost of the extra guns, calibers, magazines, etc. Also, I get to field test the loads and gear I'd have to use if there's ever a real need of a firearm.

far more impressive to see it done with an M4, and careful brain hit. A 223 sp to the brain drops animals (short of elephants) so suddenly that their chins hit the deck. The brain is pulped, the eyeballs pop out of their sockets, the skull is usually fractured. I think it's hilarious that guys can't manage such brain shots with a 223 carbine, but swear that they can get readily succeed with bow and arrow. The same sub-50 yd ranges are needed.

Just maybe where they hunt, 50 yd shots with a rifle are not common.
Just maybe they don't want to take head shots on deer. I know I don't.
I have moved to using a handgun as a primary deer gun. I care little about getting the meat anymore. I care about getting out and being there. Success is not measured by meat for me.

me neither. I'd rather take chucks with a pocket 9mm than deer with a rifle. They are far less able to do the 50 yd thing with a bow, guaranteed, than with a 223 carbine.

nobody in the lower 48 states NEEDS to hunt. you will be provided with food, all you have to do is ask. The Salvation army provides supper, some church is providing lunch and the various food pantries will give you staples. Since hunting is just for sport, it does not matter if you don't succeed. So saying 50 yd shots are not common makes no sense. It carries no weight, it's not an argument. There's no reason to care if you dont score. Hunting is not about going to the supermarket.

Long ago, I sold off all my "hunting only" type firearms. Now I hunt with combat rifle and pistol. It's more of a challenge and it saves me the hassle and cost of the extra guns, calibers, magazines, etc. Also, I get to field test the loads and gear I'd have to use if there's ever a real need of a firearm.
How can you legally possess firearms considering you bragged on BF of your solitary confinement ("I've several times spent 5 months in a solitary cell...")?

Which version is it? You were in confinement as a felon thus unable to legally possess firearms or you weren't?

Not all of us care about bs laws. If they outlawed guns tomorrow, you'd just turn yours in, right? What the founding fathers did was murder and treason under the laws of the time. Neither the second amendment nor the laws about militias say anything about felons. In fact, the Army was letting felons join up during the Iraqui war.

Some of us do care about laws. This thread started out light-heartedly. It was doing really well. Political comments belong in the Political Arena. Please do not step over the line.

me neither. I'd rather take chucks with a pocket 9mm than deer with a rifle. They are far less able to do the 50 yd thing with a bow, guaranteed, than with a 223 carbine.

I used to love wood chuck hunting. That was my dominant outdoor hunting activity during the summer months during high school. I feel sure I would still love it, but I grew up and moved and it is not so easy to groundhog hunt any more. Taking a whistle pig with a pocket sided 9mm would be quite a challenge. IF I were doing it today, I would probably be shooting a 357 mag revolver, lower powered 41 mags; or simply hunting with a 22 mag rifle for up to 150 yd shots. I got little joy shooting them at close range.

far more impressive to see it done with an M4, and careful brain hit. A 223 sp to the brain drops animals (short of elephants) so suddenly that their chins hit the deck. The brain is pulped, the eyeballs pop out of their sockets, the skull is usually fractured. I think it's hilarious that guys can't manage such brain shots with a 223 carbine, but swear that they can get readily succeed with bow and arrow. The same sub-50 yd ranges are needed.

Can you hit a beer coaster with a traditional bow at 40 yards from a kneeling position behind a stump or bush? Having skills different from someone else hardly qualifies as hilarity to me. Furthermore, .223/5.56 is not a legal caliber to take deer with in many states or even rifles at all. Some, including myself, consider taking a risky brain shot on a deer with a minimal caliber to be reckless, immoral and unethical. Priority number one to any ethical hunter is to quickly and humanely dispatch the animal with the highest probability possible. Larger calibers into a larger kill zone at appropriate distances is far better than using a sub-caliber rifle on the smallest kill zone that moves the most.

-X

The .223 is a perfectly capable cartridge for some deer hunting. Sub 250 yards with appropriate bullets, where allowed by game laws of course. Not where one would want to be shooting 55 grain FMJ's, but capable bullets aren't going to be caring what firearm they were launched from. A .223 would be great for most deer hunting around here, typically from a ground blind or tree stand at less than 100 yards.

Army was letting in Felons way before Iraq, also depending on the Felony you can later some of them expunged and legally own any firearm.

Cows are fun when they step on land mines, not so much fun for the guy on the guard tower overlooking it though... '
Watched my dad hit a sage grouse with a .30-06 when I was a kid all I remember were feathers were all over the place in the air and there wasn't much bird to be found.

The caliber discussion gets hit on a good bit on the gun forums. I know that a 223/5.56 can take whitetail deer capably especially with proper bullets and shot placement. But I like a some margin for error and generally recommend 243 and larger for deer hunting.

I'm not saying it isn't capable, even .22LR can dispatch a cow, it's the fact of putting all unnecessary risk aside to ensure an ethical kill I was stressing. Where I hunt, 300 yards is standard, actually haven't taken an animal inside of that in over a decade. Highland desert is not easy hunting.

-X

nobody in the lower 48 states NEEDS to hunt. you will be provided with food, all you have to do is ask. The Salvation army provides supper, some church is providing lunch and the various food pantries will give you staples. Since hunting is just for sport, it does not matter if you don't succeed. So saying 50 yd shots are not common makes no sense. It carries no weight, it's not an argument. There's no reason to care if you dont score. Hunting is not about going to the supermarket.

I do it for the blood lust. I love watching the life ebb out of a defenseless animal.

Eta-trying to troll the troll. He didn't bite.

Last edited:
Back