Hunting knife steel

Whats everyone's favorite steel for hunting use (skinning, gutting etc) and why?

1095 (1095 CroVan ), SK5, Carbon V, or 52100 has done me well overt the years, as has A2.

Most of my hunting has me back home or at the base house each night where cleaning, oiling and generally caring for the carbon steel is the order of things. like the edge and performance of these steels as well as their relative ease of sharpening compared to new-fangled steels.

Mind you I have also field dressed many, many deer as well as skinned and butchered many with Buck's 420HC and it works well also.

For a carbon steel fan like me who wants little more corrosion resistance (for longer outings) I have a few D2 knives but pay attention at not letting them get to dull; I try to keep the edge sharp to avoid a strenuous sharpening event.

All in all, based solely upon my experiences, I like the good old fashioned steels that served well those who came before us.

Currently quite happy with AUS8, using a SOG SEAL Pup.
I had been using a EKA Swingblade which had Sandvik 12C27. This arguably kept a better edge, but I got fed up with the gunk that collected in the folding mechanism.

Buck knives 420hc is a very good affordable steel, holds a good edge and easy to sharpen, the model 110 has done a lot of hunting and other outdoor tasks and probably the most iconic hunting knife ever made.

The last two knives I've had made (total of 3 :))- was 52100 by Daado of this forum . The first was O-1 by Off the Map from here.-
I prefer the 52100.
The grind and heat treat being much more important to the blade performance for me.

Carbon V --my CS Master Hunter is my #1 choice. Followed by 52100, Marble's Campcraft, from Mike Stewart's era there. And I've used a Buck 119 in humble 420HC to field dress moose, with perfect satisfaction.

I hunt small game, so the favorite knives aren't large. I like the ATS34 stainless, no rust, excellent edgeholding, not too hard to sharpen when needed.

Been rockin 1095 for 40 years. First was a Kabar USMC for about 30 yrs, and the last 10 yrs an Rat Cutlery RC6. Both with superb heat treat. The USMC held an edge for a impressive amount of time. It went to one of my nephews.

fzJHo8k.jpg

I think the performance (and therefore, preference) for one knife is much more related to the ergos of the knife and grind/shape of the blade than the steel itself.

Even if we made the very same knife with the very same shape/grind in two totally different steels (O1 or 1095 vs the ultimate stainless high carbide, bla bla bla), some folks would preffer the first one for the ancient flavour, ease of sharpening and cleaning/oiling ritual associated to it... and others would preffer the latest steel because are well equipped for sharpening (diamonds I guess) and would like to be able to process half the population of the game in the Rocky Mountains without the need of touching up the edge or cleaning the knife.

I don't hunt, so I don't have a favourite hunting knife.

Mikel

I don't hunt but my neighbors and coworkers do. Since I'm the guy with the diamond and whetstone collection, I do the sharpening for their fillet, hunting, camping, edc, and kitchen knives. In return for keeping their stuff sharp, I get some fish, venison, and other goodies throughout the year.

Neighbor 1: Lionsteel t5, niolox. First time I've been around it. It seems to hold up well.
Neighbor 2: Buck Skinner, 420hc
Coworker 1: Buck Selkirk, 420hc
Coworker 2: Buck Pathfinder, 420hc

Most of the folks in our local 40+ age group tend to carry Bucks for hunting/camping or in their pockets. Pocket knives are probably 50/50 split between 110s and 112s. Most carry 420hc but some carry s30v.

Carbon V
3V and 4V
S90V
Elmax

But my all time favorite for a hunting knife is CPM M-4.

I think the performance (and therefore, preference) for one knife is much more related to the ergos of the knife and grind/shape of the blade than the steel itself.

100%.

I hunted with an old Sharpfinger from Schrade USA and it was one of my all time favorites. I'd hunt with one again in a second. Lowly ol' carbon steel.

The BuckLite Max in 420HC is a fantastic carry on a hunting trip. Light, easy to maintain, great ergos. This one is under $20 because of the steel.

At the moment I use a White River Sendero Pack knife designed by Jerry Fisk. @fisk seems to know what the hell he is doing. Dang National Living Treasures.

The knife is in S35VN but I don't care... it's the knife itself that is just magical. I'd carry it in any variety of decent steel... 1095 and 420HC included.

Buck's 420HC, because that's what the Buck 105 Pathfinder was made out of when I bought it a long time ago when I was fourteen. Deer, sheep, fish. It still works, so I've not seen fit to change.

I'm not a hunter, but I'd option for D2 for such task, plenty of edge retention, toothy edge is good for skin, flesh and hide, stain resistance is a bonus here, and it's very affordable steel.

Also, there's nothing wrong with 1095 or SK5, O1 or A2...

3V would be a superb option with lots of tougness

It really doesn't matter what steel your hunting knife has, in my opinion. More important is the how the knife feels and works in your hand, secondly how long it holds a cutting edge. Field dressing is not that complicated and doesn't take special tools, but a bone saw blade can make life easier. and be a big help.

The hardest part is getting something to field dress!

Back