Off-Topic Hunting rifle modifications

Got the rifle all put back together this evening! I'm pretty darn pleased with how it turned out.

We'll be headed to the range this week sometime and I'll take some better pictures to share. Until then, here it is.

B2OH2nph.jpg

Looking good! I had a Tikka T3 in .270 as well a few years back. One of the smoothest bolts I've cycled!

Thank you! Agreed, the action is amazing and the trigger is pretty dang impressive as well.

We're planning on a quick range trip on Thursday, I should be able to get some better pictures when we're out. I was pretty surprised with how the paint job came out since it was my first time trying it.

Thank you! Agreed, the action is amazing and the trigger is pretty dang impressive as well.

We're planning on a quick range trip on Thursday, I should be able to get some better pictures when we're out. I was pretty surprised with how the paint job came out since it was my first time trying it.

Are they still using the plastic magazines? That's one thing that turned me off about that particular rifle!

Are they still using the plastic magazines? That's one thing that turned me off about that particular rifle!

Yes, as far as I know. They released the T3x last year that has some upgrades from the original T3 but I don't think they did anything with the magazine.

I haven't had a problem with mine at all and I've used it in some harsh conditions.

We'll find out on Thursday! I was definitely sub moa at 100 previously.

Thanks guys! Headed to the range this afternoon to re-zero and test out how it shoots.

Spent a couple hours at the range re-zeroing and putting holes in paper. I felt pretty rusty, but started to get back into it towards the end of the session. Here are some better pictures of the rifle and my best 5 shot group of the day at 100 yards. The squares are 1"x1".

dI35S7ml.jpg

KdDXWfNl.jpg

EZWDmnnl.jpg

Not bad! 1" is acceptable for me as I mostly hunt more than target shoot. If I buy a bolt rifle that doesn't shoot an inch @ 100, then it immediately gets sold.

Definitely! This rifle shoots sub MOA for sure, it's the guy behind it that needs some help! Haha! I had a good number of fliers in my groups before I settled in and shot this group. I know the rifle can do even better.

Some things to check to make sure it's not the rifle, and you probably know these already, but just in case...

1) Make sure the barrel is free floated all the way back to the receiver.

2) Ensure the action screws are torqued to the recommended value. From the factory, I think it's 35 in-lbs, which I suspect would be the same for the stock you have there, unless it came with instructions that say differently. Here's a discussion on the recommended technique for reattaching a barrel assembly:
http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/gunsmithing/tightening-the-action-screws-on-a-t3/
Note that the 51 to 52 in-lb torque mentioned in the initial post seems quite high unless you're using an aluminum chassis instead of a traditional stock, so I'd stick with the 35-ish range.

Some things to check to make sure it's not the rifle, and you probably know these already, but just in case...

1) Make sure the barrel is free floated all the way back to the receiver.

2) Ensure the action screws are torqued to the recommended value. From the factory, I think it's 35 in-lbs, which I suspect would be the same for the stock you have there, unless it came with instructions that say differently. Here's a discussion on the recommended technique for reattaching a barrel assembly:
http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/gunsmithing/tightening-the-action-screws-on-a-t3/
Note that the 51 to 52 in-lb torque mentioned in the initial post seems quite high unless you're using an aluminum chassis instead of a traditional stock, so I'd stick with the 35-ish range.

Thanks! I was sure to check both of these and I actually followed those exact instructions, though I initially had a bit of trouble getting the recoil lug lined up perfectly. :thumbsup:

One last little addition to the rifle. I worked up some ballistic calculations based on my rifle and the round I'm using and made this small reference sheet in excel. The green rows correspond to the hash marks on the BDC reticle on my Vortex Viper. It's taped to my cheek riser on my shooting side so I can quickly reference it if I need to. :thumbsup:

Xpps7Acl.jpg

Great thread. Love the rifle!

Thanks Andy! This new version of my rifle got its first blood yesterday. Took a doe antelope at somewhere between 260 and 300 yards. I couldn't get a range with my laser range finder because of the sideways blowing snow that randomly showed up. First shot wasn't perfect, but I adjusted for the range and wind and put the second right through the boiler room.

Back